Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Reel to reel repair?

(1/2) > >>

lsd2525:
This belongs to a friend of a friend. Per his post:

"Does anyone know someone that works on these? I am out of my depth. May have already damaged the machine in my attempts to demagnetize the heads etc. If anybody knows someone that knows someone let me know".

Anyone have any recommendations?

I don't think I've ever seen an 8 channel reel to reel before

rocksuitcase:
Location?
tapeheads.com has several techs who repair R2R.
Of course, there is a huge lead time for the most respected techs.
The moderator, 'Pacific Stereo' is in LA and though retired professionally still does restorations.

There are a couple of East coast dudes and a Nashville guy as well.

You have to request to join  [fill in a short form], but it is free and they usually reply within 48 hours to admit you.

I bet He has not ruined it unless he went crazy. Improper demagging will result in several issues.

lsd2525:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on December 01, 2021, 09:51:06 AM ---Location?
tapeheads.com has several techs who repair R2R.
Of course, there is a huge lead time for the most respected techs.
The moderator, 'Pacific Stereo' is in LA and though retired professionally still does restorations.

There are a couple of East coast dudes and a Nashville guy as well.

You have to request to join  [fill in a short form], but it is free and they usually reply within 48 hours to admit you.

I bet He has not ruined it unless he went crazy. Improper demagging will result in several issues.

--- End quote ---

Upstate SC. I'll turn him on to tapeheads.

Trying to get the model number so I can read up on it

rocksuitcase:
he may be in luck. I think an R2R repair dude on tapeheads is in N.C.
Nashville wouldn't be too far to drive for a vintage machine.
Also, there is a very reputable guy from Northern VA who posts there all the time, I'll see if I can get hos contact info off his sig line and post back here.

--- Quote ---47 years professional audio repair experience. Specialize in Nakamichi, Studer, Revox, Sony ES, Technics RS series.
Tim@MusicTechnology.com**** WWW.MusicTechnology.com
5418 Port Royal Rd, Springfield, VA 22151,**** 703-764-7005, EXT 107
--- End quote ---

Of course, no TASCAM in his sig line. He is VERY reputable. might be worth an e-mail at least.

lsd2525:

--- Quote from: rocksuitcase on December 01, 2021, 11:23:16 AM ---he may be in luck. I think an R2R repair dude on tapeheads is in N.C.
Nashville wouldn't be too far to drive for a vintage machine.
Also, there is a very reputable guy from Northern VA who posts there all the time, I'll see if I can get hos contact info off his sig line and post back here.

--- Quote ---47 years professional audio repair experience. Specialize in Nakamichi, Studer, Revox, Sony ES, Technics RS series.
Tim@MusicTechnology.com**** WWW.MusicTechnology.com
5418 Port Royal Rd, Springfield, VA 22151,**** 703-764-7005, EXT 107
--- End quote ---

Of course, no TASCAM in his sig line. He is VERY reputable. might be worth an e-mail at least.

--- End quote ---

Great, thank you. Love to find someone in NC. Some guy in there going by johns82 who moved from Cali to ATL a while back who seems to be well regarded with Teac's. I'm assuming Tascam is the same thing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version