Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

What will improve my home connectivity?

(1/4) > >>

MakersMarc:
So I have good speed and unlimited data on my infinity WiFi. It’s great for uploads/downloads but when streaming Qobuz to my laptop, in a separate room, or a DAP, I get dropouts and lose signal. I rent what I’m sure is a pretty basic modem from xfinity. Is there a cost-conscious way to improve connectivity? That mesh thingamajig? Thanks!

Gordon:
how big is your place?  building materials?  ie drywall, plaster etc?  current router?

neutrino:

I'd suggest trying a wifi extender. I purchased a tp-link on Amazon for 22$ and it worked out great. Easy returns there if it doesn't provide you with the same results.

DavidPuddy:
I have a TP Link mesh router system and it works very well with great signal throughout our house. It plugs into the modem/router tower thing comcast gives you.

rigpimp:
If you do not already have one get a mesh system with Wifi 6 (802.11ax) protocol. 

I went from 802.11N to a mesh 802.11ax using the Orbi RBK753S and watched my wifi speeds at least double.

You might also do some research on the modem you are renting to make sure that it handles gigabit speeds adequately.  It should since it came from them but you may walk into a local B&M and make sure there is not a newer model available for free.

Edit to add that I also have Xfinity Gigabit and unlimited data

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version