Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Avyone know an affordable SACD/DVD-A player

(1/4) > >>

super-phat-al:
I have been looking around for one of these.  My research has shown that pioneer makes one, but its pretty expensive.  I think if they dropped the price down a lot they would have so many more customers.  Its not like its that much harder to make an SACD/DVD-A player than a regualar DVD player.  

Wes:
I recently got an Onkyo DV-SP800.  I love it.  They go for $1000 new, I found a refurb for $650.  Damon also has one, he can vouch for the quality.

Wes

dmonterisi:
i have the onkyo and think it's a great box...really nice sounding piece of gear....will play anything you can throw in it...pioneer makes a couple models that are cheaper.  i got the onkyo for 740 from j and r.  check down about 7 threads to a thread titled "All in one boxes"...it's the thread i started when i was looking for one.

good luck and have fun.

by the way, have i mentioned how f'n good SACD sounds?

-damon

MattD:
Damon,

Since you have the capability, can you tell us if you can honestly distinguish between SACD and DVD-A of the same material? How about 24/96 vs. 24/192?

-Matt

dmonterisi:
well, i don't have anything in both dvd-a and sacd so i can't compare the two...however, i do find myself listening to the sacd stuff that i've bought a lot more.  my favorite is the Aliso Kraus and Union Station Live double disc.  it's the best live recording i've ever heard.  i also have a great SACD of Handel's Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks in 5 channel SACD!!  DSOTM is pretty nice as well.

also have not done any 24/96 v. 192 comps.  i have the dvd-a of REM's Document which is remastered in 24/192...sounds pretty good, but i don't think a remaster of a 15 to 20 year old album is gonna really bring out the subtle differences.

the other thing i've noticed is that the record companies are releasing really weird stuff in hi-res audio...like the Top Gun soundtrack (wow, 24/96 Kenny loggins!!!) and Blue Oyster Cult....wtf?

-damon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version