Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sonosax SX-M2 with powerex 9.6 volts  (Read 1328 times)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sonosax SX-M2 with powerex 9.6 volts
« on: October 21, 2023, 12:04:42 PM »
I just got a Sonosax SX-M2.

I searched many threads but couldn't find any definitive run times with P48 and Powerex 9.6 volt batteries.

Anyone used them with the Sonosax?

Offline jielkade

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: Sonosax SX-M2 with powerex 9.6 volts
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 12:09:37 PM »
ask mr.Sax.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2023, 04:15:28 PM »
It will depend on which P48 microphones you're using. The more current the mikes draw, the more power will be used (power = voltage x current). Some microphones draw <1 mA while others draw ten times as much or more.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2023, 07:28:54 AM »
Following along on this thread, if you try out the powerex batteries and they work, let me know - 9V have been getting wasteful with my SX-M2, which is a shame because this pre sounds so darned good.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4
4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5
Nbob KCY; Naiant 48v PFA
Sonosax SX-M2D2
Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2023, 09:10:55 AM »
Following along on this thread, if you try out the powerex batteries and they work, let me know - 9V have been getting wasteful with my SX-M2, which is a shame because this pre sounds so darned good.

Powerex 9.6 volts on the way so i will report back when finished testing.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2023, 10:20:06 AM »

:coolguy:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 04:02:50 PM »
2 x AKG ck61 Nbobs > Naiant PFA standard version

2 x Powerex 9.6 volt running Sonosax on Low Gain at 12 oclock setting (20db)

The Low power light started flashing every second after 4 hours and 23 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2023, 09:39:18 AM by beatkilla »

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 05:18:13 PM »
Does anyone know where to source some battery tray holders for the Sonosax or i guess the Beyer MV100 uses the same tray.

I would like to grab 2 so i can have batterys loaded up in the bag in case i need to change in the dark if i need to go longer than 4 hours.

I know i saw the tray info on here before but can't find that part number. :help:

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2023, 10:22:35 AM »

The in-use voltage of the 9.6V NiMH Powerex batteries is much closer to that of alkaline 9V's than other rechargable "9V" NiMH batteries, most of which provide a lower voltage.. if that matters in the Sx-M2.  They also provide greater current and storage capacity and are more reliable.  I've had better success using them than standard alkaline 9Vs in other preamps.  And as a side benefit they eliminate potential leakage.

The caveat is they tend to fail rapidly after a couple years of use.  They key to predictable use and replacement is to catch that before it happens by getting in the habit of measuring voltage while in-circuit, before and after each recording session.  The voltage curve is much flatter than alkaline, but when you start to see voltage dropping afterward earlier than expected, replace them.

There may be 9.6V NiMH from other than Powerex available now. The higher voltage is due to them containing an additional NiMH cell. Most of them including Powerex these days should be low self discharge (LSD) type, which is what you want for reliability.  I believe the current LSD Powerex 9.6Vs still have a black case with yellow lettering.  The older non-LSD versions had a white case with black and yellow lettering.  Use a good smart charger, measure voltage to monitor aging prior to end of life, and you're good to go.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2023, 10:43:11 AM »
Does anyone know where to source some battery tray holders for the Sonosax or i guess the Beyer MV100 uses the same tray.

I would like to grab 2 so i can have batterys loaded up in the bag in case i need to change in the dark if i need to go longer than 4 hours.

I know i saw the tray info on here before but can't find that part number. :help:

Maybe here/those:

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/59-191_BULGIN-BX0023-BATTERY-HOLDER

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2023, 03:47:59 PM »

Maybe here/those:

https://www.canford.co.uk/Products/59-191_BULGIN-BX0023-BATTERY-HOLDER

Yes those are the ones....i ordered from digikey and they arrived today.Exactly the same :coolguy:

If anyone wants spare battery trays here is the link i got mine from.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/bulgin/BX0023/1980761
« Last Edit: November 11, 2023, 06:21:26 PM by beatkilla »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com