Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Contact cleaner

<< < (2/2)

Gutbucket:
Yep. Clean your plugs and jacks every once in a while. Dirty contacts will sneak up on you, and along with dying batteries are often the culprit when other problems are suspected. The issue occurs most often with mini-plug>mini-jack connections. Fortunately its an easy fix.  Deoxit is excellent, but if unavailable 90% isopropyl alcohol will do the trick.

GLouie:
Deoxit is fine and easily available in the USA. Note that they sell many products and often change the names. The common contact cleaner version is Deoxit D5, 5% "active" ingredient with the rest basically naptha, which slowly evaporates. You can also get 100% D5. These come in all manner of containers including spray cans, needle bottles, marker pens. I usually get the D5 spray can with extension tube to flush out some controls, but for finer work I can spray a tiny bit onto a Q-tip or rag for cleaning connector pins. The dental brush sounds like a good idea for the connector holes; for decades I've just put some D5 on the pins with a Q-tip and then inserted then into the other connector.

Caig also sells a contact enhancer for gold contacts and a special lube for faders/potentiometers. I am not associated with them, just a user.

audBall:
Here's an Amazon link to both the D100L (20% deoxidizer) and G100L Gold (0.5% deoxidizer, for gold surfaces), with cleaning utensils, for less than buying the individual 7.4mL bottles separately. For a comparison chart of the different types you can scroll down on this page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071HB1ZQQ

ero3030:
Detox can be oily. Careful using

Gutbucket:

--- Quote from: ero3030 on April 25, 2024, 06:18:26 PM ---Detox can be oily. Careful using
--- End quote ---

^ Like Olestra! ; )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version