Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Possible change from Full Bodied to Stealth ?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline justdmbobbo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • You Rock!
Possible change from Full Bodied to Stealth ?
« on: April 13, 2004, 12:25:51 PM »
So I've been using these Jim Williams Mods for about a year now.  Love them to no end.  Problem is as time goes on I'm seeing a pattern forming that there are more stealth job opportunities for me rather than stand taping.

Question is, should I keep the 460's for big jobs and just look at getting some cheapos for stealth?  Or should I just make a switch and ditch the 460's in favor of more robust stealth mics?

What's out there to offer me?   I don't think I'd ever even consider saving
up for dpa's.  For as much taping as I do, that price for those mics is
definitely not worth it.  

If I did sell the mice, I'd save the stand for sure and just pull it out for big shows.

Any thoughts?  I'm sure some of you have been in this situation.

Signed,

-Concerned in Indianapolis

Offline justdmbobbo

• Taperssection Newbie
  • You Rock!
Re:Possible change from Full Bodied to Stealth ?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 12:29:42 PM »
Oh, also forgot to mention.
Current setup is  460 Mods ck61's > MP2 > SBM-1 > D8,   sometimes run MP2 > USBPre > Laptop.
(I do the mp2 > UPBPre because the jw mod makes the 460's so sensitive that I need that bass rolloff of the mp2,  just sounds better)

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 01:51:41 PM »
I ditched my MC012s and went back to my AT933s for the versatility. Sometimes I want to stealth, but I always like to have a small rig for the convenience factor.
I know these ATs aren't exactly high-end, but I've made some recordings with them I'm very happy with. I also don't do this enough to justify DPAs, and I like have interchangable caps for different scenarios.
I'm about to do the phantom mod (mine were SP mods, so I'm really just un-doing their mod) for hopefully a little better quality and spl handling.
Another good option (from what I understand) is the Audix 1290/1290-hc mics. A little bigger than a typical stealth mic, but they've gotten good feedback from the field. Still small enough to be stealthy with when you need to.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 08:46:43 PM »
Don't they make actives for the 460s? I don't know how hard it is to keep the bodies on you while stealthing, but I'm sure it's been done. That way you don't need a totally new set of mics, plus you keep the sound you like.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 08:59:50 PM »
I think part of the problem is that you will have a hard time getting a set of stealthable mics in the same price range as the 460s.  I have a set of the AT853Rx (not the sound pros versions, the real ones), that I use for stealthing...and the results are good enough for me...considering they were ~$300.  And I could not get a set of stealthable mics that came anywhere close to the MGs without a high price point.  That being said though, when the gefells (if, I guess) come out with active cables, I will be all over it.

Offline justdmbobbo

• Taperssection Newbie
  • You Rock!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 10:09:55 AM »
Don't they make actives for the 460s? I don't know how hard it is to keep the bodies on you while stealthing, but I'm sure it's been done. That way you don't need a totally new set of mics, plus you keep the sound you like.

The mod is done to the 460 bodies of course, the caps are still stock ck61's.  Jim just changes the way the signal gets from the caps to the cables.  If I got a pair of 460 actives I really would be getting a whole new set of mics really.
But I don't think they make actives for the 460's.

Offline justdmbobbo

• Taperssection Newbie
  • You Rock!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 11:03:09 AM »

The mod is done to the 460 bodies of course, the caps are still stock ck61's.  Jim just changes the way the signal gets from the caps to the cables.  If I got a pair of 460 actives I really would be getting a whole new set of mics really.
But I don't think they make actives for the 460's.

I was recently recording with Goose, and he had an active cable jwmod460 set up.

You have a way I can e-mail or get in contact with said Goose?

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 12:21:10 PM »
Just trying to keep things interesting Moke!

I got a PM from Bob, and I'm on the case - thanks for the rig compliment...

Been busy, but I have a couple CDs to send out to you from our last outing...and thanks for the package a while back!

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 12:34:38 PM »
Not sure of what you are asking -

The jwmod is only in the bodies of the mics - that stay in my bag.  The cables and caps are completely stock.  They screw onto the bodies and have lemo connectors to the ck#x line of caps.

The name change has nothing to do with a jwmod...and it looks like my name will be changed back - I can't handle any flack for it...   :)

Offline goose

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 12:51:09 PM »
Ah, now I hear ya.  I did not shorten the cables, but (I think) it would be completely possible.  They made different lengths of the cables, and I have a short (~10ft) pair, while the_tube has a longer pair (~16' I believe).  Since the AKG cables are not truly actives (called "extension" cables) - the cable can be hacked and shortened with no issues - I THINK.  The capsule has the electronics in it, and the screw connector at the body end has an extra contact - the cabling is just regular cable, but it is connected to a screw on connector at the body, so you cannot just replace the cable without splicing a new cable onto the existing.   At the other end, chopping the cable and putting a new lemo connector in place should be an easy DIY job.

All of the above is just my understanding of things.  I am not an electronics guru (by *any* means), so take what I say with a grain of salt (as always!).

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.232 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com