Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Any suggestions for a mic-pre for Senn 441s?  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Datcc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Any suggestions for a mic-pre for Senn 441s?
« on: May 21, 2004, 11:07:20 PM »
I've been kicking around the idea and I think it's time for me to invest.  I'd appreciate some help.  Also has anyone ever ran Sonic Studios mics through a pre?
"My therory is that the end of the Cold War is what started global warming"  (Steven Wright)

Offline Datcc

• Taperssection Regular
Re:Any suggestions for a mic-pre for Senn 441s?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2004, 12:01:48 AM »
Thanks Mike.  I can go up to a grand in jing.  I'd also like something small that can stealth too and has  internal power that will last at least 3hrs.

(the virus has it's hooks in me)
"My therory is that the end of the Cold War is what started global warming"  (Steven Wright)

Offline Datcc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2004, 12:23:30 AM »
"thank god someone was there and aware enuff to push record" .....LOL good call!

I just looked up the V3.  Looks like it's in my price range.  I like my recordings to sound like it sounded.  No added color.

What benifits do you get with a A/D converter?

Offline Datcc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2004, 02:03:55 AM »
This forum is right up my alley.  Thanks for the advice my friend.  I'm going to try and cut a deal soon with a friend I made at Cascade Media here in Portland on a V3 then...that was easy.  I will continue to use my "infield electronic news gathering tool" because it fits into the crack of my ass.... until it dies before looking into other Dat units...lol.  (hey they do the job) thanks for the help bro!

If anyone has any comments on the Oade's stuff....I'd have open ears....

Does Lenard from Sonic Studios post here?  For the $ and the convenience I think his mics kick ass in the right situation.  (mostly up front and acoustic) I've talked to him many times and he is a wealth of information

Thanks again for the time and effort...

Offline Datcc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2004, 02:10:30 AM »
From what you said about the V3 and the V2.  Is it your suggestion that I buy the V2 over the V3?  Sometimes the next unit in line pales in comparison to the last in durability...whatcha think?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2004, 09:08:02 AM »
From what you said about the V3 and the V2.  Is it your suggestion that I buy the V2 over the V3?  Sometimes the next unit in line pales in comparison to the last in durability...whatcha think?

Remember, V2 is preamp only - no ADC.  V3 is preamp and ADC.  They're both built like tanks.  Unless you want to run an ADC other than the one in the V3, I don't think there's any benefit in going with the V2.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2004, 06:47:25 PM »
I'd also like something small that can stealth too and has  internal power that will last at least 3hrs.

I take it that this isn't a requirement? None of the gear recommended so far has that ability. I just wanted to make sure that was perfectly clear, the Grace products are great and all the info you've recieved so far is spot on... just making sure you know *exactly* what you're getting into!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline VA_TAPER

• Taperssection Member
  • SPA AKG C33E->Hamptone HVTP2->Tascam DV-RA1000 DSD
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2004, 12:57:23 AM »
I've heard some old school Senn dyns->oade modsbm1 and they sound great, it has to have the pre amp mod and you run right into the 1/4 jacks, simple, and you can stealth with it and run you sonics with it too

peace, chris
My recordings and transfers at archive.org: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=berryman%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree

“Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything.”  Joseph Stalin

Offline Datcc

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2004, 02:22:50 AM »
Thanks for all the help!  Bad news though...my funds situation has changed.  I'm just now catching up on some posts because I've been off of work for a week.  Totaled my car last Tuesday and I've been off of work since.  Looks like any extra cash will need to go into buying a new car.  Why does it work that way?  As soon as I have enough for a new toy something always comes up.  ("when life looks like easy street, there is danger at your door")  Any way I walked away from it with whiplash, a black eye, and cuts and bruises....no broken bones.  I had 4K in stereo in the car and my recordings really souded great going down the road, now I have to pull apart a perfect install too.  I will remember the suggestions and the help for when I get caught up again.  

What a thread killer eh?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com