Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR2d - part 2  (Read 134761 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Tascam DR2d - part 2
« Reply #180 on: March 14, 2013, 10:29:53 AM »
+5 hrs is common.

Levels, inputs, and level adjustment have been covered over and over again in these DR2d threads.  Go back a few pages and you are sure to find all those questions answered several times over. Mics>CA-UGLY can go into either input, same with the SBD as long as the input level is appropriate.  Details are in those previous posts. [edit- check page 3 of both threads, I think that's the first mention in either thread, and is covered again multiple times later in both.]

Yes your home test is a good idea.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:43:44 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline olli66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2013, 05:43:21 PM »
so I searched through pages 3-12, only info I could find regarding recording levels is: "Mic in at 67, line in at 95 are settings that work best" - so this is the recommendation?
any other settings? I would love to get the maximal dynamic range out of my recordings...I didn't find any infos on these matters of how to setup the Tascam. Just no filters and no lmiters. That's all? Still I wonder where to plug in the CA-14s with ugly II pre-amp. Line-in or mic-in? If I ever want to do a recording with as less gear as possible (just mic and recorder) would this be possible at all? I assume it's not possible with the CA-14s?
Heard a lot now about "hot" soundboard signals. Still didn't quite understand the solution...so a cable that lowers the hot signal would be a resolution? How does such a cable look if I want to order it in germany somewhere I have to know how it looks and how it's called...
THANKS

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2013, 06:00:33 PM »
Those input level numbers are the 'do not go below' values.  You can use higher settings without fear.

You can plug the C-14> UGLYII into either input as long as you don't need input level settings below those settings to avoid clipping.  Since the new II version of the UGLY has far more easily adjustable gain on the preamp, it's safer to use the line-input (set to 100) and adjust your levels at the preamp as required for very loud stuff.  For quiet stuff either input should be safe.

If recording a SBD feed, attenuators (either built into your cables, or pluggable in-line) are a good idea, especially if you want to use the mic input which allows you to adjust levels while recording.  Attenuators are less necessary with the line-input, but may still be needed for a hot feed.  I've not had any problem without them, but I don't use the DR2d to record SBD feeds very often.  Search for ToddR's posts in these two threads for details on the use of external attenuators and the appropriate values to look for.

You can probably power the mics with the recorder alone using the mic-input (not the line) if you turn on mic power via a menu, but they will not be as optimally powered and will distort more easily with high sound levels.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:03:37 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #183 on: March 15, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
I'm going to use (2) Dr2d's tonight to record a musical.  One will be recording the sound board into the mic input with attenuator cable.  The second Tascam will be attached to the camcorder with external mics for room ambiance.  Should be good.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2013, 12:54:55 PM »
I'm going to use (2) Dr2d's tonight to record a musical.  One will be recording the sound board into the mic input with attenuator cable.  The second Tascam will be attached to the camcorder with external mics for room ambiance.  Should be good.

Suggestion- Set them both up and put them both in rec/pause.  Then just before the start, place the moble, camcorder attached one next to the SBD one and use the IR remote to start both simultaneously with one button press.  The starting points of both files will then be very close if not perfectly sync'd.

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2013, 04:15:43 PM »
I bought some months ago the Tascam DR-2d, until now I don't have chance to record a show.
Now next week I can use my new recorder.
I put a 8GB SD Card, I set the Tascam to 24-bit 48 khz, and I see that the time available for recording is 31 minutes !!
Is it the dual recording that reduce the time?

I would connect the ca-14 in the "mic in". Which input level is generally good for a classic rock show? 70 on 100 ?
Mic gain obviously set to low.

Thanks to you all

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2013, 05:05:17 PM »
I bought some months ago the Tascam DR-2d, until now I don't have chance to record a show.
I put a 8GB SD Card, I set the Tascam to 24-bit 48 khz, and I see that the time available for recording is 31 minutes !!

I would connect the ca-14 in the "mic in". Which input level is generally good for a classic rock show? 70 on 100 ?

Thanks to you all

Dual recording does take more file space, however what you are seeing is a combination of two things.

1. The DR2D let's you set maximum file size up to 2GB. yours is set to 512MB
2. At 24bit 48khz each stereo file requires 1GB per hour.
3. The time left display on the DR2D gives you remaining time for that specific file.

Don't worry it'll start a new file seamlessly when it reaches the maximum file size.

For 4 track/dual recordings at your settings you will get 4 hours of recording on a 8GB card

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2013, 06:00:25 PM »

Thanks to you all

Dual recording does take more file space, however what you are seeing is a combination of two things.

1. The DR2D let's you set maximum file size up to 2GB. yours is set to 512MB
2. At 24bit 48khz each stereo file requires 1GB per hour.
3. The time left display on the DR2D gives you remaining time for that specific file.

Don't worry it'll start a new file seamlessly when it reaches the maximum file size.

For 4 track/dual recordings at your settings you will get 4 hours of recording on a 8GB card

I understand now, many thanks!

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #188 on: March 16, 2013, 07:55:16 AM »

Suggestion- Set them both up and put them both in rec/pause.  Then just before the start, place the moble, camcorder attached one next to the SBD one and use the IR remote to start both simultaneously with one button press.  The starting points of both files will then be very close if not perfectly sync'd.

That synced great!  Thanks. 

I used a 20db attenuator between the the Mackie board and the Dr2d's mic input and set the record input level at 75 and I was good to go.  Also used Dual record mode setting the second track 6db lower just in case.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #189 on: March 16, 2013, 08:48:55 AM »

That synced great!  Thanks. 

I used a 20db attenuator between the the Mackie board and the Dr2d's mic input and set the record input level at 75 and I was good to go.  Also used Dual record mode setting the second track 6db lower just in case.

Great to hear you were successful......+T

8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2013, 10:50:10 AM »
Hi, I need just a confirm from someone that taped with the DR2d.

I will tape a live concert for the 1st time with this recorder. I connect my ca-14 omni on "mics" plug (my preamp is broken, but with the edirol I made excellent rec with only the ca mics )set the gain on low, and on input level I will set 70 or more, is right?
Also I set the dual recording to have a secure copy, it's enough to set at -6db?
Thanks to all

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #191 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »
Hi, I need just a confirm from someone that taped with the DR2d.

I will tape a live concert for the 1st time with this recorder. I connect my ca-14 omni on "mics" plug (my preamp is broken, but with the edirol I made excellent rec with only the ca mics )set the gain on low, and on input level I will set 70 or more, is right?
Also I set the dual recording to have a secure copy, it's enough to set at -6db?
Thanks to all
That sounds correct, I cannot recall if I have gone mic in without a pre, but make sure that if you do, you have plug in power turned on  for the mics.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #192 on: March 19, 2013, 06:24:36 PM »
I miss my old dr2d. Ill def be ordering another one this fall after festie season
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #193 on: March 21, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
Just return at home from a gig, I have the 2nd file on my tascam at 0 bytes, if i try to play it i receive the error file message.
What operations can I try to recovery the file??
Many thanks to all.

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
I saved my recording !!!!  ;D  ;)  :D

This is what I do (many thanks to TimeBandit) :

Quote from: TimeBandit on June 27, 2012, 10:50:00 AM

My Dr-5 had also an issue with some Transcend cards, but i was able to rescure the recordings with the "0 Byte" file size:

1. run chkdsk :[drive letter] /f on the card
    2. search for the .chk file that was created on your hard drive (maybe it is hidden by the windows machine, i used a knoppix boot disk to make it viewable) and rename that .chk to .wav
    3. use "audiohack"; audiohack /N [file.wav]
    4. import the created .raw file to an audio editor (use raw import, not open), like import raw in audacity, usually the machine records "little endian", and choose sample frequency and bit depth you did in the recording
    5. now you`ve got the file back (or most of the file until the moment the machine crashed), and go on like normal (mastering if neccessary, then export to Wave, Flac etc ...)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.306 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com