Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Trying Something New At Home  (Read 3309 times)

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Trying Something New At Home
« on: October 15, 2004, 04:32:23 PM »
Well, based on a review from stereophile or stereo times or something like that, a reccomendation from doug oade, and some thoughts ive been tossing around for a few months now, i decided to buy an Apogee Big Ben master word clock.  Not for studio use, but for my home system.  I think it would vastly improve my system to have a master word clock to sync everything to. 

I'll review the difference in a month or so, it should be here next week.  This apogee product has never, to my knowledge or the knowledge of anyone else, caught fire. 

I figure if I don't like it I can always sell it on gearslutz.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Trying Something New At Home
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 04:53:51 PM »
You could get a hell of a lot in room treatments for the $ :)

As far as improving your sound goes, I think this is pretty far down the list - who knows, I could be wrong. Besides, aren't you out of shelf space? :P
Out of the game … for now?

jpschust

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 04:58:00 PM »
actually, the da-30 is going to come off the shelf as its going out on loan anyways.  the da-30 when it comes back will be rackmounted in a small rack, along with my computer that i think i'm going to rack mount.  move all of it to the office.  that will free up that space. 

also that rack is going to be moved in not too long (within 6-8 mo) and a different rack may end up in that space.  I'm not all that happy with how that rack sits that tv. 

room treatments are cheap, not to mention i have some mini traps in my storage unit.  ill need to build or buy some more traps.  additionally, i got it real cheap so i wont lose any money on it.

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2004, 11:15:37 AM »
what all is involved in your home system that requires/accepts word clock? Just curious....

H
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2004, 11:55:42 AM »
dvd player, da-30 and soon a cd transport as well. 

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 12:40:10 PM »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2004, 01:18:12 PM »
I have a really stupid question...wtf does one use a transport for?????????

I know it's dumb, sorry, but I looked at work this morning on the net and couldn't find anytyhing that tells me exactly what the heck it is used for.

Crawls back into hole...

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2004, 01:34:18 PM »
a transport is basically a cd player that only puts out a digital signal. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 04:57:06 PM »
Thanks, that is what I have gathered.  Now, to find a place to do my toshiba 4960 mod...hmmm!

Thanks J

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 08:49:56 PM »
there are a few places online, check this forum for the people who do the 3960 mods , they will probably do yours too.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com