Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping with Omni's from the back corner of the room?  (Read 1923 times)

Offline dmaster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
Taping with Omni's from the back corner of the room?
« on: July 08, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
I'm taping a show (tonight, so this probably won't help me for tonight's show but in the future maybe it will) and it's open taping, but the venue is (most likely) going to make me put my stand in the back right corner (cafe du nord to anyone local) since it's a sold out show.   I'm lucky to be able to put a stand up anywhere I figure, but this is a corner with a bar/rail in front of the soundboard, so it's not too bad.   But, it's all the way to the right of the venue, and of course all the way back.    (and clamping anywhere else seems to be impossible, since if it's sold out it will literally be packed and there are no good places to do anything since it's just a bar with a stage). 

I have DPA4061's, and normally use a j-disc.  I'm wondering if this is a severely sub-optimal thing to be doing, and if it's going to really affect the quality of things with the "image" of being on the right side of the venue, rather than something centered.    Am I wasting my time with the j-disc, and should I just put the mics on a normal mount for the show instead?  (I was thinking of putting them on the j-disc on its side and having the baffle be between the crowd and the mics and maybe it would block some of the crowd noise?).

The board is probably 40 feet from the stage/stacks, so I'm not really concerned with the distance (and my other recordings from that far away aren't bad, but I do feel there's somthing lacking).   I'm just concerned with the image of being next to the wall, rather than a good location in the middle. 

any help?

Offline Aaron41

• Needs to get out more...
  • Quack
Re: Taping with Omni's from the back corner of the room?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 03:13:07 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the stand if you are worried about the sound at all. Wear the mics HRTF and stand 20 feet DFC. :)
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline dmaster

• Taperssection Member
  • dance spaceghost dance!
    • ToriTraders
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 03:38:11 PM »
I wouldn't bother with the stand if you are worried about the sound at all. Wear the mics HRTF and stand 20 feet DFC. :)

I believe that the drawbacks from the crowd being everywhere are significantly higher than anything the lack of a perfect sound image would create.

But that's just me, and I'm short.   If I don't have to stealth, I have no desire to stealth. 

RebelRebel

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 04:45:59 PM »
the head baffle will serve a similar function as the jdisc and will be less laborious....I would get as close as I possibly could to the sound source, avoiding corners. The 4061s dont do so hot in the diffuse field, in my experience.
I'm taping a show (tonight, so this probably won't help me for tonight's show but in the future maybe it will) and it's open taping, but the venue is (most likely) going to make me put my stand in the back right corner (cafe du nord to anyone local) since it's a sold out show.   I'm lucky to be able to put a stand up anywhere I figure, but this is a corner with a bar/rail in front of the soundboard, so it's not too bad.   But, it's all the way to the right of the venue, and of course all the way back.    (and clamping anywhere else seems to be impossible, since if it's sold out it will literally be packed and there are no good places to do anything since it's just a bar with a stage). 

I have DPA4061's, and normally use a j-disc.  I'm wondering if this is a severely sub-optimal thing to be doing, and if it's going to really affect the quality of things with the "image" of being on the right side of the venue, rather than something centered.    Am I wasting my time with the j-disc, and should I just put the mics on a normal mount for the show instead?  (I was thinking of putting them on the j-disc on its side and having the baffle be between the crowd and the mics and maybe it would block some of the crowd noise?).

The board is probably 40 feet from the stage/stacks, so I'm not really concerned with the distance (and my other recordings from that far away aren't bad, but I do feel there's somthing lacking).   I'm just concerned with the image of being next to the wall, rather than a good location in the middle. 

any help?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.054 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com