Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Potential Service Issues with Soundfield - Problem Resolved!  (Read 17223 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Potential Service Issues with Soundfield - Problem Resolved!
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008, 09:24:14 AM »
And my response back to SF.

Ken, Richard, and Brad - First let me thank all of you for helping to get us to this resolution!  This does make me happy!

Ken -  This was the response I was hoping for initially.  I fully understand your position on the unit being in 100% working order.  I was never able to replicate the issue in a controlled environment either.  It only happened in the field, as I'd mentioned.  The frustration for me was knowing it'd been going on since mid Feb, I went back to check the first failure date.  I recorded around 20 shows from Feb to May with 13 failures and 7 complete recordings.  In some cases with different decks and the same ST350.  The frustration I conveyed in my emails was the result of several months with yourselves and with Sound Devices and neither being able to replicate the issue.  From your perspective it probably seemed I was coming off a bit harsh very quickly.  I can assure you it was built up over time and is not typical for my demeanor.  Part of the frustration was due to a breakdown in communication with Pieter, mainly due to testing timing delays, brief email updates, and lack of thorough discussion on the matter at the beginning.  I can assure you I would'nt have been so adamant about a replacement had I not experienced those issues over time.  I'm not typically in the business of sending back perfectly good unit and paying $60 to put a stamp on a box and ask for a replacement unless I feel it is warranted.  This seems to be a unique situation, I'm glad we came to an amicable resolution.

The only untested variable remaining are the actual batteries themselves, and they came from Soundfield as well.  If the problem persists, I'll test each battery and see if there's a single culprit.  The resolution presented below, does make me very happy though, and want to thank you for going above and beyond to test the unit.  I am aware of the labor and cost involved in your testing and want to let you know that is not going unnoticed or appreciated.

Thanks to each of you for getting us to this point! 
Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008, 11:56:09 AM »
Way to go Chris!!!

When we talked about this when you were in Vegas, we thought right then that simply swapping units was a reasonable option for everyone involved. I am glad they finally came to the same conclusion.

So, hopefully very soon you will have a 100% working Soundfield rig and you will have rid yourself of any worries about pulling a complete show. At least not due to equipment failure, that is.  ;D

Great persistance. I never doubted you would not back down on this and get them to step up.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2008, 12:14:37 PM »
It feels good, I just hope the issue doesn't pop up on this new one, then I;ll have no idea what to do.  Chalk all the previous up to user error?  I can't imagine that......even I'm not that bad.  I even recorded a few times sober with failures.

This solution makes sense though.  All they're doing is swapping out a demo for a demo, really.  Except I get one that I know worked consistently for me.

I'll be curious if the one they send back as the US retailer demo starts failing as well for someone else.
Thanks for reading my bitching folks, it made me feel good to vent here a little.

Brad - If I get it back in time, and Panic kicks my ass on Friday, I might head down to use it for Portsmouth.  I REALLY wanna hear this mic with a big band sound system.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2008, 12:29:02 PM »
Portsmouth would be a perfect place to get your taping mojo back.

I may even run my rig that night just for kicks.

Hey, another bonus is you will be running 4 channel without 2 kwon bars, 5 boxes, and a squirrel's nest of cables to hook up. Calling Charles Fox............ ;)
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2008, 12:32:43 PM »
yay, focker will be making complete shitty tapes in no time!

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »
yay, focker will be making complete shitty tapes in no time!

So now we'll finally have something in common!

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2008, 01:23:21 PM »
A multi-layer bubble wrap ‘thermal blanket’ was then wrapped around both the 744 and ST350... Even though the units were almost too hot to touch they both still functioned correctly.

Yikes.  Good thing you're not getting those ones back.   :P

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2008, 02:18:34 PM »
+T for your patience FOCKER...  you hung in there well and came out the victor...  congratulations!!!  I've never heard this mic, but I can only imagine how bad-ass it can sound!  I bet the nights sweats will now end...
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »
I tell you , I just miss having my gear around.... just to tape something randomly on the weekend if I wanted to.  I'm now about the 3 month mark since I started this escapade and have about 2 more weeks to go.

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2008, 03:12:12 PM »

Brad - If I get it back in time, and Panic kicks my ass on Friday, I might head down to use it for Portsmouth.  I REALLY wanna hear this mic with a big band sound system.

Yes, I wanna hear this mic on panics PA too...
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

Offline datbrad

« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2008, 04:17:27 PM »

Focker did get a complete pull of DBT here in Richmond back in March off a big PA at the National, and his Soundfield was the best source to my ears of the several I heard. The ability to dial in patterns afterwards, particularly being able to go in between capsule settings, like halfway between hyper and card, for example, is a really big draw. How nice it must feel to be able to make a recording come out however you want in post by decoding the B-format into different patterns and configurations, and not having to worry about what capsules to use at the actual show. Just run the big can up in the air and hit record. Wow!

Shit, why don't you get a 788 and one of these ST350s and still run your tubes and make us some 8 channel madness!!!!

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2008, 04:20:23 PM »
hope to see you friday dude.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2008, 05:05:45 PM »
hope to see you friday dude.

I'll be there...preparty at Rock Lobster beforehand. 

See you Friday.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:13 PM »
Focker did get a complete pull of DBT here in Richmond back in March off a big PA at the National, and his Soundfield was the best source to my ears of the several I heard. The ability to dial in patterns afterwards, particularly being able to go in between capsule settings, like halfway between hyper and card, for example, is a really big draw. How nice it must feel to be able to make a recording come out however you want in post by decoding the B-format into different patterns and configurations, and not having to worry about what capsules to use at the actual show. Just run the big can up in the air and hit record. Wow!

The only hangup is it's a dedicated XY config....which takes a little getting used considering I ran NOS almost exclusively for years.  But I've learned to love the sound...very natural to my ears.

J.T.L

« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2008, 05:10:40 PM »

x2! >:D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com