Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps small rig  (Read 33515 times)

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
Re: Schoeps small rig
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2009, 08:57:17 PM »
ahhhh brilliant, when your backed into a corner resort to the old dick sucking line....talk about originality  :laugh:

hows this for an offer?

eat a  bag of dicks and ill borrow someone elses?

that was the point....

i think i did offer up my box....maybe a reread is in order.  i have to admit i will need some sort of legally binding contract with you as i dont trust that you wouldn't sell it behind my back in the YS for a profit. 

and what does any of that have to do with the fact that you have ripped off other members. 

i think you need some new material, just sayin'. i think that joke got tired oh, a few years ago

unless youre gonna volunteer your nbox for this experiment, i dont see a lot of intelligent contribution to the thread from your end, just sayin'

jerryfreak, shouldn't you be in the YS finding gear to buy from one member and sell to another at a profit?  i'm not sayin' i'm just sayin'

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:49 PM »
i gotta laugh, ive never even heard of you, and i looked up your profile to see your posts. do you really just troll the ts board all day? pretty weak.

over it. i come here for intelligent discussion, if i wanna get trolled i'll go hang out on PT

i'm gonna borrow a friends n-box and report back. maybe i'll run it side-by-side the cmrs at RR if i can line up another set of 41s/4vs/21's

-out-
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline funkoff13

• wishes leisure suits would come back in style.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • strawberry fields central park november 2008
« Reply #77 on: July 15, 2009, 10:42:05 PM »
i gotta laugh, ive never even heard of you, and i looked up your profile to see your posts. do you really just troll the ts board all day? pretty weak.

over it. i come here for intelligent discussion, if i wanna get trolled i'll go hang out on PT

i'm gonna borrow a friends n-box and report back. maybe i'll run it side-by-side the cmrs at RR if i can line up another set of 41s/4vs/21's

-out-

hardly.

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2009, 03:43:22 PM »
I don't think I made this topic so people could measure each other's e-penises, or maybe I did?  :laugh:

Anyway, what's the price range for MK4s and a Nbox? From some other topics I believe around $3000, but I could be wrong ofcourse
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »
well mk4s go from 900(beat)-1600(new)/pair, generally a good newer matched pair is ~$1200. not all are created equal, theyve been making the mk4 for close to 30 years.

I don't think I made this topic so people could measure each other's e-penises, or maybe I did?  :laugh:

Anyway, what's the price range for MK4s and a Nbox? From some other topics I believe around $3000, but I could be wrong ofcourse
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2009, 05:19:36 PM »
The nbox is the best deal going for high quality sound in a small package.
Nicky has top notch service and fast turn around. I trust him, he's a taper  8)

I record in so many different situations,
so i need flexability......with the nbox i have it. 4's one night, 41's the next, maybe some M/S
no problem. Sounds super going into an r-44 as part of a 4 channel setup too.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2009, 10:49:08 PM »
Not to sound discouraging because I've wanted a Nbox for a while but the battery thing kept me from ever pursuing it any further. Anyone want to clarify the battery longevity issue. Don't you need to change after like 4 hours of run time?

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2009, 12:01:23 AM »
The NBox uses 2 pairs of 9v's - one in parallel, one in series (this is why an exernal power solution is complicated).  I'm using rechargable Powerex "9.6v" cells and swap the pairs after 2.5-3 hrs for a total of 5-6 hrs per set of 4 (basically a single 2-set show of standard length).  I haven't pushed the rechargables to their limit yet.  On a fresh set of 4 Duracells, I run 4-5 hrs then swap the pairs for another 4-5 hrs - yeilding 8-10 hours per set of 4.  I've been burned twice in 3+ years using this technique.  Once I pushed it well past 5 hrs before it shut down.  The other I think I forgot that I had already swapped and swapped again and it shut down in <2hrs.  The battery appettite is definitely the one negatives of the NBox, but it sounds great and is arguably the smallest Schoeps power/pre solution available.

Not to sound discouraging because I've wanted a Nbox for a while but the battery thing kept me from ever pursuing it any further. Anyone want to clarify the battery longevity issue. Don't you need to change after like 4 hours of run time?

I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2009, 01:58:59 PM »
i pm'd nick and havent heard back.

my friend larry said i can borrow his, but i dont know
a)if its the n-box or n-box+
b)if i can defeat the gain stage on it (he doesnt think so)

i asked nick to look up what model he has and also confirm if all, or just some, of the nboxes alow gain stage bypass (and if this is one of them)

hoping to find out soon, im doing a bunch of testing of new bit buckets, etc before Red rocks and it would be a good time for me.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2009, 02:15:24 PM »
I believe there is currenlty only one nbox out there (owned by funkoff13) that has the variable gain option, all others have fixed ~+20.  Maybe Nick can chime in, but I don't think defeating the gain stage would be an easy task.  I'm sure it could be done, but it would certainly involve some digging through epoxy and soldering.

i asked nick to look up what model he has and also confirm if all, or just some, of the nboxes alow gain stage bypass (and if this is one of them)

hoping to find out soon, im doing a bunch of testing of new bit buckets, etc before Red rocks and it would be a good time for me.

Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2009, 02:25:03 PM »
bummer.

dont know how i can do a real comp of a mic vs a mic+pre combo i cant break.

hopefully nick gets back to me i also offered to let him borrow a pair of cmrs for testing so we'll crack this nut one way or another.

I believe there is currenlty only one nbox out there (owned by funkoff13) that has the variable gain option, all others have fixed ~+20.  Maybe Nick can chime in, but I don't think defeating the gain stage would be an easy task.  I'm sure it could be done, but it would certainly involve some digging through epoxy and soldering.

Offline ianstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2009, 02:53:57 PM »
jerry -
larry's is the nbox+

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline schoepsnbox

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Nbox...........Zero's and One's
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2009, 03:52:23 PM »

This is correct funkoff13 is the only Nbox type-s out there...His box in addition to having gain pots has dip switches inside to bypass the internal pre and feed an unbalanced mic line signal and runs on 2 9volts for 400 hours ;)...To feed external pre's or run mic in on any recorder...Still supplies the capsules with 60volts 8)  It's a unique unit just like doubledee himself.  Perhaps we can line something up for a comp?

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2009, 04:01:56 PM »
considering that guys been nothing but an dick to me for no reason id rather not deal with it.

any other gear you have around that we can comp with? can you build a simple fixed gain stage thats the equivalent of whats in the nbox for me to put behind a cmr battery box?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:09:55 PM by jerryfreak »

Offline ballerusk

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Soft spot for the sweet spot
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2010, 02:10:15 PM »
Sorry to bump this, but I've started researching more and I'm uncertain whether to choose MK4 or MK41. I've downloaded "Hungry Heart" by Springsteen live in Philadelphia Oct 20, 2009 which has both a MK4 (taped by Nicky C) and a MK41 source (taped by Tapehead2) and to me the MK4 sounds more upfront and the instruments less "meshed" together compared to the MK41-source, whereas MK4 sounds more prone for audience noise. Also the recording positions are different, centre floor vs section 211 so I know that's a important factor to consider.

Apart from using my own ears, what are your own experiences? Why did you choose MK4 over the MK41, or vice-versa?
Schoeps MK41s > Schoeps CMRs > Naiant Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com