Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show  (Read 15583 times)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tapers: Should we be guest listed if someone asks you to tape a show
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
Where are all these $5 shows people are talking about?

;D  I've never been to one.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 02:27:39 PM »

gritty clubs in parts of town that fit less than 120 standing people if every square inch is taken. I frequent a couple where 50 people would fill one and 90-100 would fill the other. They are usually $5 or less to get in. I did a bunch of free Tuesday night shows this spring that way.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 03:00:24 PM »

gritty clubs in parts of town that fit less than 120 standing people if every square inch is taken. I frequent a couple where 50 people would fill one and 90-100 would fill the other. They are usually $5 or less to get in. I did a bunch of free Tuesday night shows this spring that way.

Regional inflation. In NYC I'm pretty sure that's still a $10 show :)
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »
Lots of $3-5 shows around here. Usually they are local bands on weeknights. There $7-10 is pretty common. Anything over $15 is generally a nationally touring act.

Anything over $20 and I'm only there on the guest list or with free tickets. There is way too much good music that is under-priced to waste time on the overpriced.

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

Regional inflation. In NYC I'm pretty sure that's still a $10 show :)

:lol:  :-\  :(

"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2012, 05:24:36 PM »

A monthly week night jazz gig has been my favorite taping event for the past two years.  They rarely get more than 25-30 people in there and reduced the door from $10 to $5 last winter to encourage more younger people to showup (which has worked somewhat).  Excellent musicianship in a nice sounding small room, owned by a large, lucrative club in the same building, so they aren't strapped financially and put this on for the love of the music, a favor to the musicians, and to make use of an otherwise unused 8-10pm time-slot.  It's certainly no money maker for them if they even break-even.  I usually walk in with the band at no cost, but often pay the door if attendance is especially low just to help motivate the owners to keep the series going because I love it so and have free recording rein to do whatever I want.  Plus they make money off my bar-tab. 

Best $5 shows I've ever been to, and it seems to be something of a local secret.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2012, 09:37:20 PM »
I live in the Muscle Shoals area in northwest Alabama. There are very few decent places with music. We rarely get national touring acts. The shows I'm talking about are local bands, a lot of which are really good. The going rate is $5, sometimes $7 and occasionally $10. We do have the Alabama Shakes at a 700 seat theater with Jonny Corndog for $25. Overpriced, IMHO, and the same night as Phish. Civil Wars are coming $25-45. DBT comes every now and then because Patterson and Cooley grew up here.

And these places max out at about $100 and are mostly bars not designed for music. The place i was at last night was an old garage beside the only indie record store in town. A pretty cool place, byob, and i have a DFC spot in front of an old piano. I have to be careful not to hit the keys. I know the owner and can get SBD anytime, but I've only been there twice. Next time I won't mind paying for the bands I saw last night.

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »
^^ Those ISOs are annoying.

Related story to GLing. My favorite local/up and coming band won a battle of the bands. They got to open for the B-52s (not taper friendly) at Koka Booth. This is where Futhur played last month, and a venue that routinely gets bigger national acts. The band asked me to tape, but didn't offer a GL spot. They assured me that I would be able to gear gear in to open tape, they were kean to have it recorded, so I agreed. I ended up buying a ticket from their manager at ~1/2 cost, but still $30. No biggie, love the band. I show up with Walstib62 unannounced, who gets the same discount from the manager. We get in through the volunteer entrance at gate time, so no line. We're setting up, and the promoter and the band's manager show up and give us VIP lanyards. Free food, free microbrews = happy tapers  ;D They made us tear down after the set, so we of course spent the rest of night VIPing it.

Musta been the 'Team Hodge Podge' mojo, hangin' out again..... 8)
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2012, 10:31:59 PM »
We do have the Alabama Shakes at a 700 seat theater with Jonny Corndog for $25. Overpriced, IMHO...

I'd pay $100 to see that.   ::)

Offline MSTaper

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:29 AM »
Ooops! A typo. should be $35. It sold out in 30 minutes, maybe less. I saw them for free just over a year ago at the record store.  Saw them in Huntsville in March for $12. I didn't even try for tickets because we're going to Phish the same day.  :-\   I've seen DBT and Isbell there and it's a cool venue. It will be a great show. It just HAD to be the same day as Phish!  >:(

But I still think $35 is overpriced. I can see a lot of good bands for less  ;)

MSTaper
Church Audio CA-11, Avantone CK-1
Edirol UA-5
Edirol R-09, Fostex FR-2LE

12/13 Patterson Hood - Florence, Ala.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:25 AM »
Some are saying it's like compensation for your time and work before, during, and after the show. For a $5 show?
How much work are you guys really doing here? You're not going in and running effing sound for a $5 show.
 You will at most throw up two channel aud and pull a board, from the equipment in your sigs. You go in, set up wherever the hell you want,
get your config down and hit record. Peep the levels every now and again. Hit stop. Not a lot of work for your "hobby" eh?
Also not sure what you are doing in post that qualifies as work for a $5 show in a less than stellar bar/club.
Bottom line, if they ask you to come and tape their $5 show and guest-list you, take it. If they don't offer it either go and tape because you are interested
in something new and dig your hobby where it doesn't matter, or you aren't feeling them and decline. S I M P L E.

I wouldn't necessarily go see a band I didn't like just because of a guest list spot. 
That IS what I am saying AJ. If you dig them or want to try them out, out of curiosity and they ask you to tape with or without a GL spot- do it.
If you aren't interested in them, the choice is made already.

And really, you don't think it's work to some degree?
Sure, it takes time to go through the show and whatnot. Once again though, if I am interested in checking them out
or already dig them, I don't see it as work one bit. I see it as I am going to process the tape so I can hear it again and post it because
I like the band or I was interested in them enough to try them out. Once again this involves me making the choice.

Here is my whole point. I do think we are agreeing guys.

Obviously you aren't going to see a band you have no interest in just because of a GL spot.
That's my point here. If they ask you to tape AND If you already like them, or are interested in them,
why must people insist on a GL spot? Decline and move on if you don't dig them or aren't interested when they ask.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 03:26:40 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2012, 03:21:47 AM »
I don't think a $5 cover is deserving of a GL spot. That's just silly to expect one or ask for one.
I also think that it's sad if that would be the deciding factor for any taper to go or not. You either want to go and check it out and
enjoy your hobby or you decline the offer and tell them you are primping your pubes that night.
You're either interested in doing it or not. You either would go see that band out of curiosity or rather go elsewhere.
In no way for A $5 show for a local band should this be an issue.

You guys aren't following me here. It's summed up nicely in my quote above.
Basically what I am saying is if you think it's too much work, and you don't want to go, decline.
Pretty simple. But don't let a $5 cover or non GL spot be the sole reason for you not going. That is what is weak.
I guess I don't view it as work if I am interested in the band is all I am saying..

If I am interested in a $5 band why is their a GL spot needed.? There is no need for one.

A GL spot is not just free entry - it is the indication that you are doing a job of work and not a normal punter - that you are there officially, not unofficially.

It's not just saving the entrance fee - it tells people that you are official and there by invitation.  It also helps you to get in early to set up.

Personally, I never go in through the front door, I go in the stage door several hours before the doors open, to set up and listen to the practice session so I get the mics in the right place.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2012, 03:53:20 AM »
John, what people are referring to in this thread since the very first post, is just getting in on the GL for free.
And my point John, is if you like the band and were at some point showing interest in them anyway,
is it really an issue if you don't get a GL spot. That's all I am saying.

Also, in the states, when you are on the GL you look like any other fan, you are just taping.
No one notices that you are there "Officially and not Unofficially."
A good portion of the time you don't go in super early with the band.
Once in a blue moon you may get a little sticker or piece of paper that says "press Pass" but more often than not
absolutely nothing looks like you are not just there taping as a hobby.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2012, 10:42:20 AM »
^^ Well, I'm referring to both - not just list spots, but also getting in early.  And even if it's "just" getting in on the GL for free, I find it's helpful when someone shows up and hassles me about recording to say, "Yes, the band invited me here to do this."

Getting in early is essential, depending on the spot.  Most of the places I tape, arriving right at doors is sufficient, but some take a lot more setup time and/or have spots that are really hard to get if you're not the first person in the door.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2012, 05:41:21 AM »
John, what people are referring to in this thread since the very first post, is just getting in on the GL for free.
And my point John, is if you like the band and were at some point showing interest in them anyway,
is it really an issue if you don't get a GL spot. That's all I am saying.

Also, in the states, when you are on the GL you look like any other fan, you are just taping.
No one notices that you are there "Officially and not Unofficially."
A good portion of the time you don't go in super early with the band.
Once in a blue moon you may get a little sticker or piece of paper that says "press Pass" but more often than not
absolutely nothing looks like you are not just there taping as a hobby.

My take is that if you have been asked officially to tape then you should not have to pay anything - in fact you should be charging for making the recording.

If it's a low key thing and you tape for free, then you should get in for free.

Asking someone to tape and then charging them for admission is taking the pi**.

It's not about actually being on the "Guest List", but about not having to pay to get in.  Personally I am not normally listed on the GL, but I have never had to pay for entry as I am there officially doing a job of work.  I often have an "Access All Areas" pass or just walk in the Stage Door prior to the event to set up.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com