Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Bass Roll Off Settings  (Read 3152 times)

Offline RJPass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
Bass Roll Off Settings
« on: June 30, 2004, 12:31:24 PM »
For those of you that still use the Bass Roll Off for your DAT/MiniDisc, i'd like to know what the dip switch setting is for your roll off device.  I have a SP mini and i recieved these:

16Hz (no roll-off)   2,3,4
69Hz   1,4
95Hz   1,3
107Hz   1,3,4
160Hz   1,2
195Hz   1,2,4
888Hz (no bass)   1,2,3

Ive always wondered if there were other settings that they just didnt list, or what because ive seen a few recordings done with Core Sounds roll off's that list 120Hz or 130Hz and i'd really like to use those settings as the jump from 107 to 160 is HUGE.  Help out pls =)

I just want the dip switch settings and the Hz that it rolls off.  kthx

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
Re: Bass Roll Off Settings
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 04:19:23 PM »
i wouldn't roll anything over 100hz.  I run 75 rolloff sometimes but not that often.  more so now, just to play around with it, i'd recomend trying it out a few times using different settings, and see what you like.

matt
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 04:53:16 PM »
RJ, have you tried 107 vs. 160?  Is there really a huge difference?

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 04:56:26 PM »

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »
I rolled off at 95hz last night.  I'm lovin' it.

Offline RJPass

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 05:54:30 PM »
I've noticed that everytime i roll off at anything lower than 107 (eg 95, 66 etc) my mic's have this distortion to it (My recordings are pretty notorious for it)

If i roll at 160, i can always add more bass to it later with the Compressor program i use when i master.  I dont know why i always got to do this, but it pissees me off.  Could it be my mic's?  Roll off filter?  MiniDisc?

Let me know!!!  I'll be rolling at 160Hz for tonight's No Doubt show.  I wont get distortion i hope  =P

Thxxxx

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 05:56:20 PM »
no need for bass roll-off if you use phantom power.  Plus the distortion magically goes away, too. 8)

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 06:09:07 PM »
Let me know!!!  I'll be rolling at 160Hz for tonight's No Doubt show.  I wont get distortion i hope  =P
last night actually wasn't that bassy.

at least, i didnt' notice it.  :)
mk4's > nbox >  laptop
mc012's > ps2 > ad20 > 7 pin > d8
at853's > sp battery box > ad20 > 7 pn > d8

www.nancies.org | Moderator
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php | Live Music Archive Admin

Offline Fryhoffer

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 06:31:25 PM »
I've noticed that everytime i roll off at anything lower than 107 (eg 95, 66 etc) my mic's have this distortion to it (My recordings are pretty notorious for it)
If i roll at 160, i can always add more bass to it later with the Compressor program i use when i master.  I dont know why i always got to do this, but it pissees me off.  Could it be my mic's?  Roll off filter?  MiniDisc?

What kinds of shows are you recording that you always get distortion with roll-off below 107hz?  You can't add more bass if it wasn't actually recorded, and that's why I like to keep my roll-off as low as possible... I like to get as much of the sound as I can.  It's like Schwilly said... you never have to use roll-off with phantom, and that let's you fine tune the bass in post as much as you like!  If I'd had the chance to test my mics before running them last night, I probably would've rolled-off at 69hz.  You're not running through the mic input on your MD, right?

As an aside... does anyone know the dB/octave for the SP mini's roll-off?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 06:32:57 PM by Fryhoffer »

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 06:34:45 PM »
no need for bass roll-off if you use phantom power.  Plus the distortion magically goes away, too. 8)

exactly, i'm living proof of this philosophy!   :D

I used to roll off at 160Hz or 195Hz, the recordings never sounded like they lacked bass to my ears.

SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 07:15:29 PM »

What kinds of shows are you recording that you always get distortion with roll-off below 107hz?  You can't add more bass if it wasn't actually recorded, and that's why I like to keep my roll-off as low as possible... I like to get as much of the sound as I can.  It's like Schwilly said... you never have to use roll-off with phantom, and that let's you fine tune the bass in post as much as you like!  If I'd had the chance to test my mics before running them last night, I probably would've rolled-off at 69hz.  You're not running through the mic input on your MD, right?

As an aside... does anyone know the dB/octave for the SP mini's roll-off?

I think it is 6db/oct.

what's the mini? is that the sp-spsb-6?

Offline Mobius

• Taperssection Regular
  • Degenerate Extraudinaire
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2004, 02:42:01 AM »
I've done a lot of sperimentin with the rolloff (think the same one you've got...the cut down one without the box?) and i've generally found 160 to do the job all the bass you want is still there but it doesnt thin the recording at all..107 and you get a layer of mud on top of everything..and yer recording is too quiet cos so much input is subsonic rumble....195 and you start scoopin mids...this is of course with the SP in-ear binaurals...and they seriously dislike bass...so just see what works for you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com