Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What does a SBM-1 really do?  (Read 8981 times)

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
What does a SBM-1 really do?
« on: December 20, 2004, 09:32:06 AM »
I want to look into it but I am not that techiy when it comes to recording stuff... I seea lot of peolpe who tape with a DAT use it and I want to know what the thing is really used for and how you use it?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What does a SBM-1 really do?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2004, 09:41:02 AM »
It's an ADC.  One uses it like any other standalone ADC:  plug cables from preamp into SBM-1, plug SBM-1 into recording device.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2004, 09:56:14 AM »
In case you're not sure about what Brian just wrote, here's a little more detailed info...

Like Brian said, it's an ADC (Analog-to-Digital Converter).  It takes the analog signal from a pre-amp, and converts it to a digital signal, which is then recorded by the DAT deck (or whatever digital recorder you are using).  People like to use external, stand-alone ADC's because, generally speaking, they are higher quality than the ADC contained within the DAT deck.

Depechemode1993

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2004, 02:15:13 PM »
thank you +T  ;D ;D

hexyjones

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2004, 09:25:18 PM »
If I'm not mistaken - the SBM-1 is also a mic preamp as well...although many use it just for its A/D section...

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2004, 09:29:51 PM »
If I'm not mistaken - the SBM-1 is also a mic preamp as well...although many use it just for its A/D section...

well it can be used as a preamp if it is given more gain, however unmodded it just takes line level

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2004, 09:34:00 PM »

well it can be used as a preamp if it is given more gain, however unmodded it just takes line level

actually unmodded it will act as a preamp as well.  Doug disables the preamp as I understand it for his mods

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2004, 09:54:50 PM »
how would you rate the internal pre, as opposed to an m1, or a ua5, or one of the high dollar pres? I mean, the D8 has an internal pre too :P
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2004, 10:00:04 PM »
its responsible for all the shitmapping in a rig  ;D I still miss my modsbm-1
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2004, 10:07:53 PM »
how would you rate the internal pre, as opposed to an m1, or a ua5, or one of the high dollar pres? I mean, the D8 has an internal pre too :P

just making a point my friend :P

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 10:10:47 PM »

Sorry guys - it is most definitley a mic preamp - modded or otherwise...the quarter inch inputs go to the mic pre...and I think it has RCAs for line in...(been a while since I've  used one...)

Offline Tim

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 10:12:37 PM »

just making a point my friend :P

oh that wasn't aimed at you... just a general question. I have no freaking idea, I could take a guess but I've been known to be wrong on occasion.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2004, 10:12:53 PM »

Sorry guys - it is most definitley a mic preamp - modded or otherwise...the quarter inch inputs go to the mic pre...and I think it has RCAs for line in...(been a while since I've  used one...)

the 1/4" inputs are disabled by Doug on his modded units though

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2004, 10:14:18 PM »
oh that wasn't aimed at you... just a general question. I have no freaking idea, I could take a guess but I've been known to be wrong on occasion.

I have no idea but have thought about exploring it...would make a nice little stealthing setup if you had MG caps>cables>JK Labs ECMS22 >Mod SBM1..

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2004, 10:16:21 PM »
very nice and stealthy...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com