Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?  (Read 30520 times)

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2005, 12:13:45 AM »
i dont think it has been mentioned, so i am assuming the 460's were also run cardiod

i have come to my own opinion and i am anxious to hear the results
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2005, 12:36:42 AM »
i know this has been gone over many times, but the jim williams mod for the 460s is 125 a mic (250/pair) & the 460s can be run as actives with akg made cables that are extremely rare.  the caps that are used with the 460s are the same caps as the 480s, but the caps run with the actives are different, right?

i know, i know, "search function"........

Everythings right, except the price.  $150 a mic now...

Offline dgodwin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2005, 12:52:00 AM »
I purchased mine with the Ck61 caps for $500   If you're looking for cardioid sound pickup, you should be able to find a similar deal on ebay, here, or elsewhere (I got mine through gearslutz)  If you're looking for hypers, omnis, etc, then you can probably get fozzy's 460's if they're still available for $350.  You might be able to find them for lower if you look around... Hope this helps!

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:18 AM »
i know this has been gone over many times, but the jim williams mod for the 460s is 125 a mic (250/pair) & the 460s can be run as actives with akg made cables that are extremely rare.  the caps that are used with the 460s are the same caps as the 480s, but the caps run with the actives are different, right?

Actually JW said the website isn't correct.  It is $175/mic now, and a one week turnaround.

The 460's can be run with the AKG active cables, but they are extremely rare.  I think there are 2 people here that have them.  The AKG actives can only be run with the ckxx series caps, not the ck6 series caps.  One cable went on ebay a while back for a good amount of $.  But, JAH & Leegeddy are working on an active cable that will work with the ck6 series cap, so this gives me some hope even if it may be a ways off.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2005, 09:01:58 AM »
I think the jw mod 460's ->v2 -> ua5(i like this a/d for 24bit) would sound excellent!!!

I thought about this too, but figure it would be easier to go with the V3 to have fewer connections and primarily to save some room in my bag.

KCMoeJoe has the jw mod 460's runing into the tmod+ ua5.  I think his pulls from wakarusa sound excellent.  This is a mighty fine combo at a great price IMHO.  If I can't get the v2 for some reason, i will prolly opt for the tmod+...

I agree.  KCMoeJoe's recordings sold me on the JW mod 460's (http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=KCMoeJoe%20AND%20mediatype%3Aetree%20AND%20collection%3Aetree).  I actually like his Pmod recordings as well.  Check out the Moe. shows at Liberty Hall on the archive. 

I'm tempted to upgrade my Pmod UA-5 to a T+mod, but I'm a bit torn.  The T+UA-5 sounds great, gives me the ability to run a matrix if I choose, and saves me some money.  The drawback I see is that I'm trying to move toward 24 bit recording, and I don't think the UA-5 can add dither like the V3 can?  I'm lazy, and would rather have the equipment do as much work for me as possible. 
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2005, 09:12:14 AM »
As far as I know, the UA5 T+mod would be a great stand alone device for 24/96. It is capable of doing 24/96 over USB and I think it can output this over the SPDIF as well. I'm not sure what you mean about adding dither and I don't think you want dither if recording at 24/96. If you like the UA5 T+mod, I'd say keep it and save up for or borrow a V3. The oade UA5s are limited unlike the V3, and if you ended up missing your UA5, you'll be kicking yourself for letting it go.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2005, 09:14:44 AM »
As far as I know, the UA5 T+mod would be a great stand alone device for 24/96. It is capable of doing 24/96 over USB and I think it can output this over the SPDIF as well. I'm not sure what you mean about adding dither and I don't think you want dither if recording at 24/96. If you like the UA5 T+mod, I'd say keep it and save up for or borrow a V3. The oade UA5s are limited unlike the V3, and if you ended up missing your UA5, you'll be kicking yourself for letting it go.

i was guessing he meant having a 16bit backup(i.e. jb3) recording at 16bit ...dithered by the v3, while also recording at 24bit.  the ua5 wont  send 24 and 16bit signals simultaneously.  it would just truncate the 24bit signal to the jb3
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2005, 09:21:10 AM »
the v3 doesn't allow for a split signal either. You're either outputting 24bit or 16bit ANSR.

oh...thats good to know...i guess i was assuming wrong on his post then....not sure about the dither now
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2005, 09:29:23 AM »
As far as I know, the UA5 T+mod would be a great stand alone device for 24/96. It is capable of doing 24/96 over USB and I think it can output this over the SPDIF as well. I'm not sure what you mean about adding dither and I don't think you want dither if recording at 24/96.

I don't make any sense here.  I got ahead of myself, left out some info, and should have been more clear.  From the Grace website:

"The lunatec V3 is also equipped with our unique new analog noise shaping dither circuit, or ANSRTM, which can be applied for word-length reduction when sending signals to a 16-bit digital recorder."

Until the microtraker is proven to be the way to go for a 24 bit capture device, I will be running my JB3.  This allows me to add dither to my 16 bit recording until I make the jump to 24 bit.  Additionally, I was hoping that once I jump to 24 bit, I can still run the JB3 as a backup out of the V3.  Now, the question is whether or not I can do that and apply the dither to the 16 bit version, or if it will truncate the to the 16bit and not give me that option.  You guys clarified that this isn't possible while I was typing this.

Also from the Grace website:

"Sample rates of 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 and 192 kHz are supported."

If I'm not mistaken, the UA-5 can only do up to 96 kHz.  So I'm looking at the V3 as an opportunity for future growth.

I know very little about 24 bit recording right now, and haven't done a lot of research.  Just trying to set myself up for the capabilities.

If you like the UA5 T+mod, I'd say keep it and save up for or borrow a V3. The oade UA5s are limited unlike the V3, and if you ended up missing your UA5, you'll be kicking yourself for letting it go.

No arguements here.  It all comes down to the precious dollar.  I have a Pmod right now, and it will cost me to upgrade to the T+mod.  It makes for a difficult decision when I'd be investing additional money in the UA-5 that I would probably never recover if I did sell it.  That money could be spend on upgrading to the V3.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »
As far as I know, the only device that can do simultaneous 24 and 16 bit is the MiniMe albeit one output has to be USB. Personally, I'd love to see a PDA with a USB input. Of course then Apogee and Edirol would have to write drivers for that device and I'm sure they'd be quick to jump on that  :P

Oh and what about seeing if anyone would trade their Tmod for a Pmod?
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2005, 09:44:21 AM »
As far as I know, the only device that can do simultaneous 24 and 16 bit is the MiniMe albeit one output has to be USB. Personally, I'd love to see a PDA with a USB input. Of course then Apogee and Edirol would have to write drivers for that device and I'm sure they'd be quick to jump on that  :P

Oh and what about seeing if anyone would trade their Tmod for a Pmod?

Yea, I didn't realize you can't do that until you guys confirmed it.  Don't get me wrong, the T+mod is hard to beat.  Doubt I'll find anyone that wants to trade though.  There are very few in existence from what I understand.  If I had the money I'd definitely hang onto mine and get the V3. 

Ideally, I'd get send mine in to get the W+mod and have the V3 as well.  Then I'd have some room to play with transparency and warmth. Kind of like having a V3 and a 148 to play with IMO.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2005, 11:05:34 AM »

Actually JW said the website isn't correct.  It is $175/mic now, and a one week turnaround.

The 460's can be run with the AKG active cables, but they are extremely rare.  I think there are 2 people here that have them.  The AKG actives can only be run with the ckxx series caps, not the ck6 series caps.  One cable went on ebay a while back for a good amount of $.  But, JAH & Leegeddy are working on an active cable that will work with the ck6 series cap, so this gives me some hope even if it may be a ways off.

and it's more than a week. i'm going on 2 now. 350 for the mod/pair. i paid 400 for the active cables with the CK1x caps and 350 for the 460 bodies. so i'll have a total of 1100.00 into a nice pair of JW mod 460's with actives. that i hope won't be too bright sounding.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:35:05 AM by ts »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2005, 11:57:18 AM »
i'm just getting into some basic 24bit playback, and from doing some searching on TS i don't really think recording at 192khz is necessary or even beneficial, there is even some who prefer 44.1 over 96 i think.  I've also seen quite a few comments from some folks that 24bits sometimes is too much for loud, boomy rock shows(if that's what you tape).  just some food for thought :)

Easy questions (hopefully), and please don't flame me for not researching this more:

First, How many people here have 24 bit capabilities and still run 16 bit for loud rock shows? 

Second, how much of a difference does applying the V3's dither really affect the quality of the recording?  Is there really a benefit or noticeable difference?

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2005, 11:58:08 AM »
I used a MiniMe with my mod 463's a few times and loved it. The DMIC-20 was decent, as was the digimod UA-5.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2005, 12:01:21 PM »
and it's more than a week. i'm going on 2 now. 350 for the mod/pair. i paid 400 for the active cables with the CK1x caps and 350 for the 460 bodies. so i'll have a total of 1100.00 into a nice pair of JW mod 460's with actives. that i hope won't be too bright sounding.

Let me know if their too bright.  I'll take first dibs on the actives & ck1x caps if/when you decide you don't want them   8)  We can work out the details then  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com