Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?  (Read 30523 times)

Online Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
Re: JW Mod 460's > what Pre/ADC?
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2005, 03:07:56 PM »
did mr moke post the results to this comp?  ???
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2005, 03:27:14 PM »
did mr moke post the results to this comp?  ???

I pm'd you the results.
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

My recordings on the Archive

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2005, 03:30:37 PM »
I recommend you sell your ua5 & buy a fostex fr-2.  you can get it modded Warm or Transparent, and record 24/192 on cf cards.  They can be had for $1600 modded I think by Oade, and all you would need to get is batteries & a cf card.

I hear you on this one.  The sound very nice IMO.  Who runs one that can comment?

Bueller, Bueller.....
It’s not what you look like when you’re doin’ what you’re doin’, it’s what your doin’ when you’re doin’ what you look like your doin’…express yourself. - Charles Wright

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2005, 03:56:02 PM »
Paging carlebeck and daryan lenz....

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2005, 04:25:18 PM »
do you guys want their opinions on the FR2?  i am positive there is a long thead about the FR2, i'll find it shortly(using the search ;) ).

another ts.com user is john lynn, and he actually runs carl's rig a lot, maybe ask him too.  I met him this past Friday and saw Carl's rig, that akg mic is SWEET!  I'm sure john will be able to add some insight, he seemed very familiar with the fr2.

also note the marantz pmd 671, doug is currently working on mods for that as well, september '05 is the expected release date(for his mods).  it 'only' does 96khz, not 192 but it's definitely smaller than the fr2, looks more like a dap1 to me.  i have no desire for 192khz, not even sure about 96khz at this time, and the basic mod units doug already does go for $975 so the warm or t or whatever mod he does might might make this a contendah!

Yea, I'd like to hear about the FR-2.  The samples that Doug's got up are comparable to the V3 sound, IMO.  I searched for it, but didn't find anything major...just a few small threads.  Maybe I found the one you speak of, and just expected it to be more indepth.

I'll do some research on the pmd 671.  Sounds like a good deal.  I don't know that going over 96 kHz is a priority or not really.  Everything I read says you notice more of a jump going from 16 bit to 24/48 than from 48 to 96.  Can't say for sure though since I've never heard any 24 bit stuff.

Ray76

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2005, 04:49:48 PM »
yeah, that is a long, varied thread.  here are 2 opinions posted though:

Listening to an FR-2 tape for the first time, mk4>fr-2, neville bros. from telluride blues and brews, and really like the sound. To me, sounds a whole bunch like an m148, warm, but tight overall and dry in the low end. good first impression for sure, even listening to a 16bit cd.

My FR-2 sounds like a 148 but we aren't done with it yet, Doug is going to fatten it up just a little more for me. He can do either mod so if you decide after a while you want the T-mod or you changed mics you can send it back which is really cool. I love the sound of mine, we just haven't had anything worth taping all year up here!

Sixto,,,,,your ex gear did me real well last night...tape is in the kickdown...bonnie prince billy...love this 148 and MGs...man do i.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2005, 05:39:57 PM »
The pmd 671 really isn't that much smaller than the FR-2. 

pmd 671 = 10.4"w  x  2.0"h  x  7.3"d , weight = 2 lbs 14 oz.

fr-2 =          9.8"w  x  3.0"h  x  8.7"d , weight = 3.3 lbs

Guess I'll have to do some spec comparisions to find the differences other than these.

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2005, 06:45:51 PM »
agreed, it's just the 1" difference in height that i notice when i look at it.  they both look pretty nice to me, and i'd go with the fostex in a second if it sounds better.

Wish Doug had the pmd mod files up for comparision!  Won't be long though.  The samples of the FR-2 mods that he's got up lead me to believe it is damn close to the V3 sound. 

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2005, 09:26:33 PM »
I can't believe the AKGs sound like the DPAs and vice versa...yes both are flat, but man do they sound different..wonder what JW does in there....I really enjoy both in different respects, but I would never have thought of mentioning them as being close in sound! I wonder what JW thinks of the JK boxes...??
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

Offline EA

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2005, 09:37:16 PM »
I can't believe the AKGs sound like the DPAs and vice versa...yes both are flat, but man do they sound different..wonder what JW does in there....I really enjoy both in different respects, but I would never have thought of mentioning them as being close in sound! I wonder what JW thinks of the JK boxes...??

Jim's probably never heard the JK boxes. You need to remember that Jim is NOT a taper and does NOT cater to the taper community. By and large he does work for big name studios and musicians.  When I first got my 460's modded by him he actually had doubts about how well they would do in the field for rock type shows. Being the first person to actually really try them out in the field I took a huge leap of faith in having them modded. Obviously it turned out to be a great thing for both my recordings and the team AKG community in general now that they're starting to catch on. As for your question about what he does in there, I used to have the entire list of specs. But I can't seem to find them now as it's been a few years since I've dug them out. If you email him about what he does to them he'll be happy to share the info in detail though I'm sure.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 09:41:08 PM by EA »
Why is there no boxing in the special olympics?

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2005, 09:51:12 PM »
i recall a pic of all the aprts he sent back FWIW

maybe you posted it tho EA
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #56 on: August 16, 2005, 10:37:49 PM »
I can post a pic of the parts he took out, but no idea what he put in. I'd offer to open one up to look, but was told by AKG that there is a tiny spring that often gets lost after opening them.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline MarkF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2005, 01:27:16 AM »
Here is a picture of what he sent back when he modded my 460.
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

BobW

« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2005, 03:08:52 AM »
i bet jwmod460's>v3 would sound YUMMY!

Dammit Bean!  I was just about past wanting the V3, and you had to come along and ruin it for me!   ;D

You are getting kinda sleepy............

When you awake, you will dig deep into your pockets and buy a V3..........     ;D

I still haven't run AKGs with the T-Mod, although 414s are high on my list of wants.
See the "Guess the Band"  thread for an MP3 with SP LSD2 and T-Mod FR-2.
Didn't Nick's run a T-Mod w/ AKG 414 ULS ?

I have grown very fond of the sound.  Startlingly accurate. 
FWIW, I like the LSD2/ T-Mod sound. Doug called a very solid and listenable combo.

I can't help about the mod 460s, 'cause I haven't a clue as to how they sound.
If you're in NYC area, I'm happy to let you give the T-Mod a spin.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 03:19:20 AM by -=Bob=- »

Offline thegreatgumbino

• Team Texas
  • Retired Taper
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2005, 08:40:12 AM »
You are getting kinda sleepy............
When you awake, you will dig deep into your pockets and buy a V3..........     ;D

A V3 would definitely sound great!   But, I think I'm going to go with the T+mod UA-5 and might pickup a Wmod UA-5 to run when I want some warmth.  I could have both of these UA-5 flavors for less than the price of the V3.

Unless someone has a m148 they want to sell me!  ;D

I still haven't run AKGs with the T-Mod, although 414s are high on my list of wants.
See the "Guess the Band"  thread for an MP3 with SP LSD2 and T-Mod FR-2.
Didn't Nick's run a T-Mod w/ AKG 414 ULS ?

I've got no clue on the band...Bela?

That's a great sounding clip.  I think Doug's mod FR-2's sound fantastic!  I've been listening to everything I can find with them.  IMO the mod FR-2 sounds just as good as a V3.  Definitely a viable option when you think about the price.  Oade mod FR-2 + CF </= V3 + microtraker + CF. 

I'm struggling with the one box thing though.  It is a major plus, but could be a negative too.  The low cost of the UA-5 gives me some flexibility with other gear options I guess.  Plus the ability to run a matrix is pretty sweet. 

Although, I'd sacrifice that to be able to run an Oade Tmod FR-2 with an m148, if someone wants to sell me their m148  ;D

I have grown very fond of the sound.  Startlingly accurate. 
FWIW, I like the LSD2/ T-Mod sound. Doug called a very solid and listenable combo.

I love the LSD2 sound!  You've got a great rig there.  Do you ever need to upgrade?

I can't help about the mod 460s, 'cause I haven't a clue as to how they sound.
If you're in NYC area, I'm happy to let you give the T-Mod a spin.

Thanks for the offer, input, and sample Bob!  If I ever make it out your way, I may take you up on it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2005, 08:49:59 AM by thegreatgumbino »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com