Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: easy way to dither / resample?  (Read 5791 times)

Offline F0CKER

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection All-Star
easy way to dither / resample?
« on: March 20, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
Does anyone know of an easy way to resample/dither 24/96 files that have already been tracked out?  I'm looking for a right click option if it exists.  I was looking for something "more proper" than what I can do with DBPoweramp.  Basically, I'm a lazy taper and am going to seed 16/44.1 files via a BT I mastered at 24/96.  I really don't want have the time to go into Wavelab, dither down, resample, resave, retrack, etc... does anyone here see anything wrong with me using something like DBPower amp to get 16/44.1 files quickly and easily from my 24/96 masters?  In the end I'll still have the original 24/96 masters I just wasn't sure what the general thought would be here.  Actually I think people are gonna tell me not to do it that way - but I'm more interested in hearing why.  My argument would be, the 24/96 files will be available and if someone wants to do it the proper way they are more than welcome...I'm doing a courtesy by providing 16/44.1 files to begin with. 

Nevaton MC49 -> Sonosax SX-R4

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: easy way to dither / resample?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 02:59:11 PM »
Don't have the time?  How long's it take to fire up WL, open a file, start the resample process, walk away and do something else.  When it's done, start dithering, walk away and do something else.  Re-load the cue sheet into CD-Wave or whatever you use for tracking.  Save files.  Then create the torrent file and seed.  Total time in front of the computer is all of ~5min.  If you don't have ~5min to spare, why even bother?  If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right.

Lazy, indeed.

If you really want to be lazy, just find someone who will resample/dither for you, kinda like a resample/dither bitch instead of a transfer bitch.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 02:59:56 PM »
why not use the "batch process" tool in Wave Lab?  it will spit out a new set of 16/44 files, just run them through shntool or something to check for SBE's and you're good to go.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »
why not use the "batch process" tool in Wave Lab?  it will spit out a new set of 16/44 files, just run them through shntool or something to check for SBE's and you're good to go.

this is the answer I'm looking for.  I've always gone in resampled, dithered the whole file, then gone in and retracked.  I don;t know Wavelab very well, so that was the guidance I was looking for...thanks Craig.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 03:05:27 PM »

and you definitely have to use shntool because the batch process creates SBEs on every file as it doesnt maintain the integrity of the CDWAV cut file....

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 03:09:21 PM »
ez...

tools> batch process
add 24/96 files
highlight "batch 1" at top of tree
select "edit batch process" (maybe right click will get you there, too)
add ("+") the "resampler 192k", edit process to resample to 44.1k
add the "uv22hr dither), edit process to dither to 16bit
hit the "output" tab
change output directory
make sure your file attributes are set to 16/44.1
hit "run" and let her rip.

you should check for SBE's and you might need to rename the files to meet seeding guidelines.  unless you tell it differently, it will output files with the same exact names into the output directory you chose.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 03:11:27 PM »
+ T Craig!

Yes I am lazy..even writing that post was like work.  I'm winded just from writing this one.

- back to being lazy.

Offline Brian

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 03:15:18 PM »
+ T Craig!

Yes I am lazy..even writing that post was like work.  I'm winded just from writing this one.

- back to being lazy.

but you actually make it out to shows.........and bring gear........and set it up.........and hit record?

:o

;) i like being lazy.  like right now for example.  i got cut from work and i'm avoiding the laundry.  I have at least 8 loads of laundry to do.

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:20:31 PM »
but you actually make it out to shows.........and bring gear........and set it up.........and hit record?

:o

;) i like being lazy.  like right now for example.  i got cut from work and i'm avoiding the laundry.  I have at least 8 loads of laundry to do.

:D

Taping is like work too, but I enjoy that.  And I don't mind tracking a show out once.  But doing it twice is like unecessary work. 

Laundry...damn I have to do that too.   Maybe I'll even shower this week too since I'm going to be so active.

Offline Brian

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 03:22:31 PM »
showers are good.  daily showers are even better :bigsmile:

Offline F0CKER

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »
wish I could say I shower everyday.  Somedays it's just difficult to pull off.  Must be my inner w00k...  :)

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 08:24:04 PM »
why not use the "batch process" tool in Wave Lab?  it will spit out a new set of 16/44 files, just run them through shntool or something to check for SBE's and you're good to go.

and you definitely have to use shntool because the batch process creates SBEs on every file as it doesnt maintain the integrity of the CDWAV cut file....

clarification, the above is only true of 'generic' markers.

nick - a way around this problem is to insert markers such as CD start, track splice and CD end(all types of markers)
i still run the files through SHNtool, but i've never seen a SBE from wavelab, if you use the appropriate marker.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 08:29:17 PM by todd e »

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:32:42 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and make sure the quantitize to cd frame option is checked...that makes all the difference.

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 08:54:06 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^and make sure the quantitize to cd frame option is checked...that makes all the difference.

qft

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2006, 03:56:05 PM »
+ T Craig!

- back to being lazy.

Wow someone even more lazy than me. T+  ;D
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »
why not use the "batch process" tool in Wave Lab?  it will spit out a new set of 16/44 files, just run them through shntool or something to check for SBE's and you're good to go.

clarification, the above is only true of 'generic' markers.

nick - a way around this problem is to insert markers such as CD start, track splice and CD end(all types of markers)
i still run the files through SHNtool, but i've never seen a SBE from wavelab, if you use the appropriate marker.

good point...I have been so reliant on cdwav forever, i have a hard time moving away.

BobW

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 07:38:36 AM »

Exactly.
Better to retrack, IMHO.....unless someone has a better way.
Paging Scott Brown !

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:49 AM »
I called out of work today. Just to lay low, enjoy some fine coffee, and get ready for the RAQ show tonight. :laugh:
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 08:48:31 AM »

Exactly.
Paging Scott Brown !

I dither the untracked wav first so i have two files, a 16bit file and 24bit.  I then track the 24bit show and save a cue sheet.  then using notepad to open the .cue file, i just change the txt to associate with the 16bit file.  load the cue sheet in cdwav which then opens the 16bit file all nice and split properly.  no reason to run shntool at all.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RebelRebel

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 09:11:28 AM »
I called out of work today. Just to lay low, enjoy some fine coffee, and get ready for the RAQ show tonight. :laugh:

If that works better for resampling/dither, im all for it. (though skip the raq part) :P

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 09:32:50 AM »

Exactly.
Paging Scott Brown !

I dither the untracked wav first so i have two files, a 16bit file and 24bit.  I then track the 24bit show and save a cue sheet.  then using notepad to open the .cue file, i just change the txt to associate with the 16bit file.  load the cue sheet in cdwav which then opens the 16bit file all nice and split properly.  no reason to run shntool at all.

that works fine except when the 24 bith file is larger than 2 Gb, which wavelab will chock on.  What I have been doing is combining all of the files in WL so I will have one long file, dither/resample to 16/44.1.  Chop it up in CD Wav.  Then I take the 24 bit files, open them up in CD Wav, retrack and join the places where the splits occurred in Wavelab.  A bit time consuming, but protects the integrity of the file by not introducing SBEs

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 09:43:38 AM »
I don't think I can say I've had a 24bit file larger than 2gb's yet so I haven't experienced this.  Do other programs like Sound Forge or Audition choke on files larger than 2gb?  I use the izotope ozone mbit dithering plugin, which can be used in SF, I've never tried audition, but I'm sure you can use it there too.

All I'm using WL, SF, Audition for is for dithering anyway, and thats all done with the mbit plugin.  So technically it doesn't matter which program i use to do that in.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RebelRebel

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2006, 09:57:40 AM »
I don't think I can say I've had a 24bit file larger than 2gb's yet so I haven't experienced this.  Do other programs like Sound Forge or Audition choke on files larger than 2gb?  I use the izotope ozone mbit dithering plugin, which can be used in SF, I've never tried audition, but I'm sure you can use it there too.

All I'm using WL, SF, Audition for is for dithering anyway, and thats all done with the mbit plugin.  So technically it doesn't matter which program i use to do that in.

soundforge doesnt choke. I use Sequoia/Samplitude and those dont choke either.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 09:58:54 AM »

I dont use SF but I remember reading Adobe may not have this issue.  Either way it isnt a huge deal, I just chop up the 24 bit file in CD Wav, and join the split tracks in WL...just a minor extra step

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 10:02:51 AM »
mmhmm.  i may end up doing the same thing once i start getting bigger 24bit files.

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 10:32:45 AM »
24/96 files are huge, but with the new wavelab the sky is the limit
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 10:33:57 AM »
24/96 files are huge, but with the new wavelab the sky is the limit

what release is that wavelab?

Offline jmerin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 10:35:48 AM »
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2006, 10:38:19 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 54 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com