Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 & 4 Mics Question  (Read 5422 times)

Offline DMBprez

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Focused
UA5 & 4 Mics Question
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:04:25 PM »
My friend runs:
SP-C4's->Art Phantom II->MIT 176's->JB3

I run:
SMK-H8K's->PMOD UA5->JB3

Is there a way of running all 4 through the UA5 and have it come out into TWO JB3's?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
Re: UA5 & 4 Mics Question
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:28:06 PM »
no.  well yes, I mean not really. 

you could have all four mics go into the ua5 and output to one JB3.  you would end up with a two track recording like normal so there would be no way to separate the mic sources from one another once they get to the JB3.  You could feed the same signal to two different JB3's (one analog and one digital) but they would be the same 4 mic to two track recordings.  does this make sense?

basically you could run the SMK-H8K's->PMOD UA5 to the front xlr inputs and

SP-C4's->Art Phantom II->MIT 176's to the back rca inputs

the output (whether digi or analog) would be the same blend of the two sources.  this is the same way so many people use the UA5 for on the fly matrix recordings.  Works great.  The only downfall is you have to mix on the fly.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 06:49:27 PM »
no.  well yes, I mean not really. 

you could have all four mics go into the ua5 and output to one JB3.  you would end up with a two track recording like normal so there would be no way to separate the mic sources from one another once they get to the JB3.  You could feed the same signal to two different JB3's (one analog and one digital) but they would be the same 4 mic to two track recordings.  does this make sense?

basically you could run the SMK-H8K's->PMOD UA5 to the front xlr inputs and

SP-C4's->Art Phantom II->MIT 176's to the back rca inputs

the output (whether digi or analog) would be the same blend of the two sources.  this is the same way so many people use the UA5 for on the fly matrix recordings.  Works great.  The only downfall is you have to mix on the fly.

Hey, 

Thanks for the help.  So, can you do me a favor and let me know what the hell is wrong with this?

Hahah

http://www.archive.org/details/um2007-10-22.flac16

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:31:45 PM »
So, can you do me a favor and let me know what the hell is wrong with this?

Which C-4 caps were used?  (Sounds like omnis?)  You were there...you heard what it sounded like in the venue, where your mics were......what's wrong with it to your ears?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) > Roland R-05

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 08:43:18 PM »
It echos like hell.   But I don't think the omni's were on.

But the venue wasn't very "echoy."

Offline shayne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
Not sure what the benifit of 2 sets of cards? I was under the impression if you were running 2 sets of mics it's good to have a pattern diffrence, would 2 sets of cards give phasing issues? Not trying to hyjack this post, I am asking for myself becasue I am not sure what types of issues this could bring on, On a side note I thought it sounded ok, a little muddy, like a larger venue, probobly the echo you refer to.
Shayne
studio pojects LSD2 OR OKTAVA MCO12> T+ MOD UA-5 OR AD-20> JB3>SVU2

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2007, 01:18:04 PM »
Wouldn't running omni's on the C4's cause even more echo?

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 01:26:40 PM »
I would think the omni would give you more sence of the veue, more crowd more sence of space, if the venue didn't have an echo I don't think the omni would create one, Just my take on the sound an omni produces, to the other side of this Yes if the room was boomy or had an echo the omini would most likely aplify that because the wider pattern than say the cards. When speaking in terms of cards I don't see the benifit of having 2 sets running at once and being mixed down to 2 channels, I am very happy runnig 1 set of mics, ease of set up and less to worry about, all though I have been thinking of getting omni caps for my octavas and running them split a couple of feet with the lsd2 running x/y cards center and mixing it all down w/ the ua-5. Just not sure if there is any advantages, and so far the lsd2 sounds great by itself, don't want to mess that up.
Shayne

Offline DMBprez

• Taperssection Member
  • Focused
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 02:55:31 PM »
Very cool idea ^^^. 

Please keep me updated on whether you try that out or not!

Thanks for the help!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 02:58:14 PM »
I guess I will have to try running CA omnis into RCA + 460 ck63 into the XLR in. Could be great.

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 08:03:13 PM »
I am considering buying a UA-5 as a pre for a rig that I can loan out, as I have a second set of mics, and a MT24/96.  Can you also use the RCA jacks to plug into the board from the tape outs, and run the mics to the XLRs, and do an on the fly mix that way.  Has anyone tried this, and are there any issues due to the time delay of the sound through the mics vs. the sound from the board?  Just wondering before I really decide to buy one. 
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 08:58:13 PM »
Yes you can, some great tapes have been made that way, as for the delay, the mics need to be closer to stage to avoid any delay, I think it has been discussed in the past and I want to say you need to be within 30 or 50 feet of stage/sound source, not sure about that one though.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 09:50:35 PM »
I think its 30-40ft and then a delay is needed. Thats why onstage+SBD is always nice! We(Team Pittsburgh) have made an AMAZING Lotus recording this way! its 2/17/2006 if anyone wants to check it out!!!!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline shayne

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 10:30:48 AM »
Thanks, wasn't sure about the distances.

Offline NJFunk

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 10:32:37 AM »
I've done the UA-5 on the fly matrixing a lot (before I got the R4 which makes everythign 100x easier...).  For delay, ideally, you want to be within 20 feet.  Any further and the sound gets muddier.  By 30 ft, you will start to hear a distinct echo.  The most successful ventures I've had with this is in small bars where the PA feed is just vocals (and unusable by itself) and the room is too small and boomy to make an adequate audience.  Set up the mics stage lip and run the PA feed into the RCA.  If you get the mics behind the PA, the mic feed will have just the stage sound and the PA will have just the PA sound and there will be very little overlap between the two, which gives you complete control over the mix on your tape.  Make sure you have good noise blocking headphones, too, since you'll have to mix the levels on the fly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com