Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: LG BD590 blue ray player  (Read 13316 times)

Offline wheresjerry

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
LG BD590 blue ray player
« on: December 08, 2010, 02:48:25 PM »
I just picked up one of these units this past weekend, and love it.  It is LG's top unit, and tho it is pricey, it is the ballz!  The unit has built in wifi, and best part, a built in 250 gig hard drive that you can rip all types of files to....jpegs, wav's, etc.  and play them to your tv direct.  It also has Pandora, Netflix, and can even stream stuff from another computer you set up as a server!  Here is a review to the deck, highly suggest! 

http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/video/LG-blu-ray-dvd-player-BD590.jsp

Happy listening!
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/wheresjerry

Offline Gil

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: LG BD590 blue ray player
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:44:06 PM »
What are your thoughts on it? I'm about to pull the trigger on the BD570, and one of my main concerns is the Netflix streaming. Is there any significant judder or dropped frames as one would find while streaming on a PC? My roommate doesn't notice it (she's a woman) but it drives me nuts. I've heard the streaming on various devices is a big step up from PC streaming.
"Let's go do some crimes."

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Teac ME-80(cards & omnis), AT943(hypers)>Tascam DR-2d

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 02:35:53 PM »
hey!  I am not familiar with the exact specs of the bd570 vs. bd-590, but l am more than happy with the unit! Netflix works flawlessly, as well as Pandora and Picasa web albums. The 590 was a bit expensive, but the built in harddrive for media storage is awesome. It can hold all forms of music, pictures, movies, etc. The load up time was quick, and blue ray playback was sweet! Sound and colors reproduced wonderfully.
Streaming of Netflix works great, and LG has set it up with a great interface with setting up your movie cue and scrolling thru the movies available. Pandora....awesome, period. All work, and sound great thru your home theater system, especially Pandora.  I didn't notice any jitters in Netflix, and will agree, probably better than watching on a computer.
Go ahead, bite the bullet, and buy one.  Don't know your finances, but I certainly am glad with the ability to store media right on the built in hard drive, and would recommend going that route..upload litterally hundreds of cd's and nver have to change disks, etc...
Let me know how you make out with your purchase!   ;D
Neumann. KM184>zoom f8,  pax 2 vaporizor, AlienEars, Neumann KM184,AKG 390 bodies w/ ck91and ck93 caps, Rode NT-4 ,  SP-CMC-25>battery box>Oade concert mod pmd 620......  and lot's a stuff....playback Yamaha rx-v 663,LG BD590, bose accumass 5 speakers, ears and AKG 701's....

Offline Gil

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:43:56 PM »
hey!  I am not familiar with the exact specs of the bd570 vs. bd-590, but l am more than happy with the unit! Netflix works flawlessly, as well as Pandora and Picasa web albums. The 590 was a bit expensive, but the built in harddrive for media storage is awesome. It can hold all forms of music, pictures, movies, etc. The load up time was quick, and blue ray playback was sweet! Sound and colors reproduced wonderfully.
Streaming of Netflix works great, and LG has set it up with a great interface with setting up your movie cue and scrolling thru the movies available. Pandora....awesome, period. All work, and sound great thru your home theater system, especially Pandora.  I didn't notice any jitters in Netflix, and will agree, probably better than watching on a computer.
Go ahead, bite the bullet, and buy one.  Don't know your finances, but I certainly am glad with the ability to store media right on the built in hard drive, and would recommend going that route..upload litterally hundreds of cd's and nver have to change disks, etc...
Let me know how you make out with your purchase!   ;D

Thanks for the response! I think the only significant difference is the lack of internal storage on the BD570, which I don't really need, especially with DLNA available. The DLNA feature really tickled my fancy.

As for watching Netflix on a PC, we hook it up to the HDTV via VGA and the picture quality is pretty nice. It's the dropped frames, etc. that irk me and render most movies unwatchable.

My birthday's coming up, I just learned I don't have to find a new apartment, I got a slight raise, and I have a $50 gift card from xmas. I'm totally pulling the trigger this weekend! ;D

"To his mind, an opportunity to insult a successful ape came from the hand of Providence."

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
Im sure you'll be happy with the 570....the dlna was so so....it took a long time to load up pictures, and video or picture streaming dlna route was just ok. You'll certainly be happy with netflix streaming, and standard playback of dvd's and cd's.
Seems like things are working out for you on the financial end, so go pull that trigger, and boost our economy! :o

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »
I have the 570, pretty sweet player.  I haven't use the DLNA stuff yet, but it's there and appears to work (my pc sees my blu ray and syncs every time).  Netflix is pretty good, one thing though: no search engine built into it.  So you have to add selections to your instant queue...it doesn't show "your queue" at all which is irking me.  Plus, it shows the various categories, but only 75 selections are available per category.  Wish it had a search engine...the video can look great if the title is in HD, SD can be okay.  I have cable with 12/2 so my speeds are solid for netflix.

Pandora works totally fine as well as youtube (it has a search engine naturally).  I haven't tried any other features yet. 

Setting it up was totally painless.  Running HDMI to my Samsung 46" LCD and toslink to my receiver. 

Load times:  Some blu-rays load up fast, others take a minute or so.  Ejecting a disc is fairly rapid. 
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline Gil

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 06:29:08 PM »
Thanks, Georgios. I can't wait to pick up my new toy.

Offline Gil

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »
Well, I picked up my BD570 yesterday. I have to say I'm loving it. So far it seems fairly idiot proof.

Offline wheresjerry

• Taperssection Regular
  • Deadicated boater....
    • Music List
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
Hope it works out well for you, I don't think you'll go wrong..sometimes better to spend a little more.

Offline Gil

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 02:21:18 PM »
Well, shit. I have my first major beef with the BD570. After installing the latest update (339.C), I now have a lovely gap between every chapter when playing a DVD. Obviously, this is unacceptable. I tried to go back to an earlier firmware I found here:

http://www.dexid.org/wiki/LG_BD570#Revision_BD.8.31.332.C

but the player won't bring up the update prompt when I plug in the USB drive with the .ROM files on it. Instead it insists on reading them as data. Ditto for the disc I burned with the .ROM files.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 02:24:36 PM »
Smash it, then KYS. ;D
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gil

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:32:20 PM »
Smash it, then KYS. ;D

No need just yet. An even earlier firmware update solved the problem it seems.

Dear LG, if you're going to send out updates, you might want to make sure they don't cause problems that didn't exist before. And your customer support can drown in a bucket of AIDS.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com