Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audiophiles can't tell the difference between Monster Cable and coat hangers  (Read 8877 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/03/audiophiles-cant-tell-the-difference-between-monster-cable-and/

We've always believed that the perceived quality boost that comes from using high-end cables is really just a trick of the mind (read: justifying the ridiculous cost of premium cables to yourself) -- if you've dropped enough cash, you can probably hear anything you want. Still, our belief is one thing -- cold hard proof is another, and it looks like a group of 12 self-professed "audiophiles" recently couldn't tell the difference between Monster 1000 speaker cables and plain old coat hangers. Yeah, coat hangers. The group was A-Bing different cables, and unbeknownst to them, the engineer running the test swapped out a set of cables for coat hangers with soldered-on speaker connections. Not a single one was then able to tell the difference between the Monster Cable and the hangers, and all agreed that the hangers sounded excellent. No wonder Monster has to rig HD displays. Still, we bet people still fall for the hype -- oh hey, if you're looking for the ultimate in sound, we've got half a meter of oxygen-free, triple-wrapped double-insulated Sonically Shielded AmpliSized Egyptian Llama cable here that we'll part ways with for just a couple grand.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
old news...

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Actually, both hang clothes quite well, if I do say so myself. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
oh hey, if you're looking for the ultimate in sound, we've got half a meter of oxygen-free, triple-wrapped double-insulated Sonically Shielded AmpliSized Egyptian Llama cable here that we'll part ways with for just a couple grand.
Allsum!

Seriously though, I can't tell a difference between cable.
Is there an audible one? Don't know. I just like durable cables, be it milspec silver, which is popuar, copper, quad, or whatever.
Maybe you can tell a difference in that range you record in 24/96-192. Perhaps?
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
I'm not surprised; Monster Cable has long been inferior to coat hangers.  Good of them to catch up.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
I'm not surprised; Monster Cable has long been inferior to coat hangers.  Good of them to catch up.

LOL!
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

stevetoney

Obviously the coat hangers were burned in and the monster cables weren't.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Audiophiles are seriously missing the forest for the trees here! The vast sonic potential of coat hanger wire obviously goes mostly untaped without 'lifter's to keep those hangers from touching the floor, little jars of pebbles arranged on top of each piece of attached gear, bowls of water arrayed around the room, and specially blessed clock radio's plugged into the same electrical circuit.  ::)

Some nitch firm should market a 2 Watt SET tube amp made with point to point coat hangar hand wiring as an inside joke.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired

LOL!

:clapping:
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
New line of GAKhangers coming soon.....
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)

Nice, LMAO!

Audiophiles are seriously missing the forest for the trees here! The vast sonic potential of coat hanger wire obviously goes mostly untaped without 'lifter's to keep those hangers from touching the floor, little jars of pebbles arranged on top of each piece of attached gear, bowls of water arrayed around the room, and specially blessed clock radio's plugged into the same electrical circuit.  ::)

Yes, the magical "Brilliant Pebbles".  Snake oil at its finest.  First time I saw and read the ad for them, I laughed so hard I nearly hyperventilated.  Then there are these AudioQuest cables on Amazon.  The reviews are pure comedy gold; laughed so hard at them, I DID hyperventilate.

runonce

Nice, LMAO!

Yes, the magical "Brilliant Pebbles".  Snake oil at its finest.  First time I saw and read the ad for them, I laughed so hard I nearly hyperventilated.  Then there are these AudioQuest cables on Amazon.  The reviews are pure comedy gold; laughed so hard at them, I DID hyperventilate.

Snake oil? You've obviously never experienced the "Sympathetic Resonance" of the Shun Mook MPingo Discs... ;D

http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm

Offline rjp

• Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Snake oil? You've obviously never experienced the "Sympathetic Resonance" of the Shun Mook MPingo Discs... ;D

http://www.shunmook.com/text1.htm

Those look suspiciously like rebranded Dubbel Zout (Dutch salmiak licorice, extremely salty-tasting, and the salt is NH4Cl instead of NaCl)...

If I had to guess, the Dubbel Zout would probably produce a better result.
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

stevetoney

Those look suspiciously like rebranded Dubbel Zout (Dutch salmiak licorice, extremely salty-tasting, and the salt is NH4Cl instead of NaCl)...

If I had to guess, the Dubbel Zout would probably produce a better result.

If you eat these, your poop comes out labelled D Z.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:04:42 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Far tastier than they look.

Sure look like a bad trip.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.221 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com