Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is this noise caused by?  (Read 2056 times)

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
What is this noise caused by?
« on: June 26, 2013, 05:51:48 PM »

I want to first say that I usually tape in the open taping section using a 722 and telefunken, last night i recorded with low pro with my zoom h2 and a sony tie clip mic. What would cause things like hat pictured above? It made the recording practically unlistenable, I know of at least one other taper there, so it's not a complete loss.  Also are there any threads i can refer to for better low pro gear to use when I'm not able to use my open recording rig?
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: What is this noise caused by?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »

I want to first say that I usually tape in the open taping section using a 722 and telefunken, last night i recorded with low pro with my zoom h2 and a sony tie clip mic. What would cause things like hat pictured above? It made the recording practically unlistenable, I know of at least one other taper there, so it's not a complete loss.  Also are there any threads i can refer to for better low pro gear to use when I'm not able to use my open recording rig?
My guess is a bad connection or... a loss of power or a hair hitting the diaphragm. But that's all you will ever get. When you have issues like this all you can do is turn your rig on and wiggle cables around the mic and the input connections. To see if you can duplicate it. If not my guess of a hair hitting the capsule would be my #1 But again it depends on how open things are in front of the capsule..
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline vegeta_ban

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: What is this noise caused by?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 11:46:56 PM »
thanks for the response, I'll test all that when I get back home after work to see if I can duplicate it. I have only used this setup to record a couple shows before, since I mainly open tape with my large gear. This was perplexing, thanks again.
Mics: Telefunken ELA M 260 Field Kit; Nakamichi cm 100/CP4 shotgun (CP 1&2); Nakamichi Cm 300 (CP 1, 2, & 3) x3  JB phantom power mod; Nakamichi Cm 1000s; Superlux CMH8K
Recorders: Sound Devices 722; Zoom F8; Edirol R44 Oade Concert Mod; Digimod UA5>Nomad Jukebox 3 (or Archos 605 wifi); Zoom H2; Zoom H6
Camcorder: Panasonic PV-GS300
Camera: Fujifilm X-E1 & various lenses; Fujifilm s100fs; Fujifilm S7000
Misc: Beachtek SVU-2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com