Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DJI Osmo Pocket 3 camera has 32 bit float audio - wow, times are changing!  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
So why am I posting this here?  Well, it seems to me that the time really is coming when we will be able to do high quality concert recording, but with high quality video to go with it, using something no larger (in length) than a mobile phone.

https://youtu.be/K9ML0aN-6uo?si=m0AOy_9CsxHIK9Uq&t=526

In that review, mention is made of 32 bit float recording at 8:46 - but it's not totally clear whether this is in respect of wireless mic recording, or all recording.  I suspect the former.  It may mean that the supplied wireless mic (which can accept lavalier mics, so it has got a mono mic input) records internally in 32 bit float while sending a 'normal' stream to the camera.  It looks like the camera can support two such mics.  So one could imagine a scenario when you wear in-ear mics to keep the profile low, connected to a pair of the wireless transmitters with a splitter cable, thereby recording a stereo image in 32 bit float, synced to the camera.  In use the camera can look not unlike a mobile phone, so if it's the kind of gig where everyone has got their phone out, you wouldn't look too conspicuous.

This may all seem deeply irrrelevant to most readers here, but perhaps it will encourage one or two to find out more.

Online wordgroove

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
So why am I posting this here?  Well, it seems to me that the time really is coming when we will be able to do high quality concert recording, but with high quality video to go with it, using something no larger (in length) than a mobile phone.

https://youtu.be/K9ML0aN-6uo?si=m0AOy_9CsxHIK9Uq&t=526

In that review, mention is made of 32 bit float recording at 8:46 - but it's not totally clear whether this is in respect of wireless mic recording, or all recording.  I suspect the former.  It may mean that the supplied wireless mic (which can accept lavalier mics, so it has got a mono mic input) records internally in 32 bit float while sending a 'normal' stream to the camera.  It looks like the camera can support two such mics.  So one could imagine a scenario when you wear in-ear mics to keep the profile low, connected to a pair of the wireless transmitters with a splitter cable, thereby recording a stereo image in 32 bit float, synced to the camera.  In use the camera can look not unlike a mobile phone, so if it's the kind of gig where everyone has got their phone out, you wouldn't look too conspicuous.''

-----
incredible wow.. didnt know it had32 bit float audio]]''

thanks for letting us know

This may all seem deeply irrrelevant to most readers here, but perhaps it will encourage one or two to find out more.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
In another review it mentions timecode.  However, I don't begin to understand about timecode, so the practical implications go over my head.  But that might be interesting to some here too.   That is at this link -

https://youtu.be/pe-GRHcfOYc?si=f3DMK0yP-uOQNZa3&t=894

Online wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
In another review it mentions timecode.  However, I don't begin to understand about timecode, so the practical implications go over my head.  But that might be interesting to some here too.   That is at this link -

https://youtu.be/pe-GRHcfOYc?si=f3DMK0yP-uOQNZa3&t=894

be good to sync to other angles
two pocket 3 filming diff location

Taz

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
From DJI -

"You are able to get access to the time code function under the system settings, for the timecode usage, you are advised to use a third-party timecode synchronizer to sync devices from different directions then the timecode will now be synchronized. When using the TentacleSync Timecoder with the unit, you only need to use the synchronization function of the "Timecoder”. The synchronization function is used to synchronize a separate timecode in the product, and after the synchronization is completed, the Timecoder can be unplugged. "

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Response from a reviewer who has a good reputation -

"32 is in the audio interface, but Dji said it’s not ready at the moment."

Interesting!!

But does it have the multiple preamps required to do the job properly??

Online wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
Response from a reviewer who has a good reputation -

"32 is in the audio interface, but Dji said it’s not ready at the moment."

Interesting!!

so will it be a firmwre upgrade?

Online wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
i read an article where dji said the 32 bit float is just in the microphone - the wireless
how does that work?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
The wireless mic has inbuilt memory to which 32 bit float audio can be recorded directly.  It sends "normal" audio wirelessly to the camera.  It seems that the camera may be firmware upgraded to offer 32 bit float from its internal mics, not involving the wireless mic.  That's the holy grail as far as I am concerned.  We'll see...

Online wordgroove

• Taperssection Regular
The wireless mic has inbuilt memory to which 32 bit float audio can be recorded directly.  It sends "normal" audio wirelessly to the camera.  It seems that the camera may be firmware upgraded to offer 32 bit float from its internal mics, not involving the wireless mic.  That's the holy grail as far as I am concerned.  We'll see...

so trippy .... we cant use eternal mic for 32 bit... just that lil mic they provide

still a great camera i have pocket 2

i got the Osmo action 4 and the image quality is superior to even a iphone

Taz

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket 3 camera has 32 bit float audio - wow, times are changing!
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2023, 11:40:52 AM »
A postscript - FWIW DJI have confirmed that the stereo soundfield of the internal recording of this device rotates when the gimbal rotates, even though the three mics in the handle may be pointing in a different direction from the head.  This was also a feature of the previous model.  And to me, it's a pretty neat trick.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2023, 08:42:30 AM »
I have zero experience with DJI products, but after doing a bit of research, I ordered the DJI Osmo Pocket 3 Creator Combo.  Expected delivery is mid-January.  I videotape high school sporting events from the sidelines and want something that is small and non-obtrusive (looking), that still shoots high quality video while on the move.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2023, 05:40:51 PM »
The latest FW allows the camera to record stereo audio in wav format from the 3 internal mics, while recording the external wireless mic to the video track, or an external usb-c mic.  So it seems you now have a four channel audio recorder with video.  Interesting!  I will test soon.

[Edit - yup, it's indeed now a four channel audio recorder with video.  The wave file created from its internal mics is 16bit, 48kHz.  The audio component of the video file created from an external USB-C mic (in my test, a Zoom M3 mic/recorder) is AAC LC 317 kb/s at 48Khz.  So the actual format of the audio files isn't spectacular but still usable.  However, the Zoom M3 can of course not only feed the camera but is can record 32 bit float internally at the same time.  So one way and another, you would get an interesting choice of options for the audio source(s) of the final edited production.]

[Another edit - it occurs to me that this would allow the Sennheiser Ambeo binaural mic as the external mic connected via a USB-C adapter feeding the video file's audio component.  In my experience, talking when recording in-ear binaural sound doesn't work that well, but with the Pocket 3 you could mix in the wave file recorded at the same time from the built in mics and get the best of both worlds.]
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 07:26:42 PM by Ozpeter »

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2023, 11:38:08 PM »
I've made a crude demo of the 4 channel ability here - https://youtu.be/5y1lKZSmn-8 - note that the internal stereo mics don't sound good in this as I was speaking from behind the mics in a bathroom!  Normally they sound pretty good to me.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 05:34:38 AM »

That's the kicker. Unless it is a auto ranging multi-ADC setup such as those employed Stagetec, Sound Devices, Zoom, etc. then recording in 32-bit float format has no real benefits.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com