Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PC Laptop help needed (wifi)...(non-taping content)  (Read 9911 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
PC Laptop help needed (wifi)...(non-taping content)
« on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »
So, our primary home computer is my MacBook Pro. I will be leaving town for work for a month, and will be taking it on the road with me. My girlfriend has a perfectly (for the most part) functioning compaq presario v2000 that Im trying to get up and running for her to use while Im gone. It hasnt been used in awhile, but powers up and works fine. The issue Im having is with the internet connectivity. The computer is telling me that it is picking up a "very good" signal from our wireless router, and that it is connected. However, when I open the internet browser, it says it cant connect to the website. Same situation occurs when I plug in a hard line ethernet cable.

Ive restarted it several times, and also took of the cover for the wifi card to make sure it was seated fully, and it was. Does anyone know what else I may be able to try? Im not much of a PC person, but after tying around with this thing today, Im feeling quite defeated :)
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: PC Laptop help needed (wifi)...(non-taping content)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 07:10:48 PM »
What version of Windows?  What are the properties of the Network Connection?  Is the IP address hard coded or set to DHCP? 
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 07:46:28 PM »
If it occurs on both Wi-fi and CAT5 your almost certainly looking at a settings issue in Windows or your router vs. hardware.

Could be quite a few things, though.

I would assume this is a computer running XP.

Worse comes to worse you could always re-install XP to reset any bad settings, but I'd try to resolve them first. Also could be settings in the router. Maybe MAC Address filtering.

If you can find your Network Connection settings (don't remember where they would be in XP), right click the connection you are using and then click Properties. Select the IPv4 settings, and click Properties. Make sure that is set to Obtain your IP address and DNS settings automatically.

To make sure it's not a DNS issue you can just type an IP address into the browser. Try Googles IP:

http://74.125.224.72/

IF that works, you've got a DNS issue somewhere.

Another troubleshooting option (as well as a temporary fix) would be to boot the computer to a LIVE CD of Linux. Ubuntu is pretty easy. Download and burn a CDR of the install disc and have the computer boot from the CD. You won't be able to save any settings from there, but if you can get on the internet that way you've eliminated the router as the problem. For Ubuntu your going to want the 32 bit version from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

That's all I can think of for now.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 09:45:15 PM »
What version of Windows?  What are the properties of the Network Connection?  Is the IP address hard coded or set to DHCP?

Windows XP. Which Properties specifically? I'm not sure what hard coded and/or DHCP is, and how to find which one Im set to. Which should I be set to?

If it occurs on both Wi-fi and CAT5 your almost certainly looking at a settings issue in Windows or your router vs. hardware.

Could be quite a few things, though.

I would assume this is a computer running XP.

Worse comes to worse you could always re-install XP to reset any bad settings, but I'd try to resolve them first. Also could be settings in the router. Maybe MAC Address filtering.

If you can find your Network Connection settings (don't remember where they would be in XP), right click the connection you are using and then click Properties. Select the IPv4 settings, and click Properties. Make sure that is set to Obtain your IP address and DNS settings automatically.

To make sure it's not a DNS issue you can just type an IP address into the browser. Try Googles IP:

http://74.125.224.72/

IF that works, you've got a DNS issue somewhere.

Another troubleshooting option (as well as a temporary fix) would be to boot the computer to a LIVE CD of Linux. Ubuntu is pretty easy. Download and burn a CDR of the install disc and have the computer boot from the CD. You won't be able to save any settings from there, but if you can get on the internet that way you've eliminated the router as the problem. For Ubuntu your going to want the 32 bit version from here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

That's all I can think of for now.

"To make sure it's not a DNS issue you can just type an IP address into the browser. Try Googles IP:

http://74.125.224.72/"

tried this, still got nothing, is that a god thing?

Also, I am using  DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) std   firmware on my wrt-54g linksys router. I am currently using the ruter as I type this on my macbook. The router def. works.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
Windows XP. Which Properties specifically? I'm not sure what hard coded and/or DHCP is, and how to find which one Im set to. Which should I be set to?

There are two main ways the PC connects to the network / router using IP:  DHCP (automatic) or static.  Your router is probably configured for DHCP, and you should make sure the PC is set for DHCP, also.

PC:  Start | Settings | Network Connections | Right-click Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the Properties button.  You'll see the option to specify static IP data, or automatically get the IP data from a DHCP server.  Make sure this configuration matches your router configuration (i.e. probably DHCP / Automatic).

Router:  Setup | Basic Setup | Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) and check the DHCP Type and DHCP Server settings.  The former is probably set to DHCP Server, the latter probably Enabled.

If you're not using DHCP on the router, there's more to do, but let's start here.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:59:01 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:01:55 PM »
THe router can still work, but be setup to not allow computers that aren't on a list. Doubtful this is the case though, as you'd have to have set that up, and there really isn't any reason to do so.

Try booting into Ubuntu with the LIVE CD. If you still can't get on with that you've eliminated your settings in XP which leaves either a setting in the router or possibly a hardware issue with the XP laptop.

Don't think it would be an encryption issue. I seem to recall having an issue with an old laptop that didn't support WPA. Try turning that off in the router. Make sure you turn it back on though. Don't think that would cause your problem since I don't think you could even get connected to the router though. Can't hurt to try.

You also could export your settings from the router and do a hard reset on it. That might eliminate a settings issue. Since you saved your settings you can always reload them if that doesn't work.

Just throwing ideas out there now.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:44:45 PM »
paste the contents of ipconfig /all in the command prompt.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:28:51 PM »

There are two main ways the PC connects to the network / router using IP:  DHCP (automatic) or static.  Your router is probably configured for DHCP, and you should make sure the PC is set for DHCP, also.

PC:  Start | Settings | Network Connections | Right-click Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the Properties button.  You'll see the option to specify static IP data, or automatically get the IP data from a DHCP server.  Make sure this configuration matches your router configuration (i.e. probably DHCP / Automatic).

Router:  Setup | Basic Setup | Network Address Server Settings (DHCP) and check the DHCP Type and DHCP Server settings.  The former is probably set to DHCP Server, the latter probably Enabled.

If you're not using DHCP on the router, there's more to do, but let's start here.

all of the above mentioned settings are good. Still no dice :(

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
paste the contents of ipconfig /all in the command prompt.

Start > Run
type in: cmd
hit enter
when the DOS window opens
type in: ipconfig /all 
at the flashing cursor, then
hit enter
copy the results and paste them into a post here

Alternatively, boot with a live Linux disc (or USB stick with some version of Linux on it - the Ubuntu link above should be all you need) and see if you can get online that way. All modern distros of Linux should recognize the hardware in her comp and supply the necessary libraries/drivers for that hardware. If you can't get online after booting into Linux then I think you have a hardware problem.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 12:53:08 PM by flipp »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 01:26:49 PM »
What flipp and rastasean said.  Also...

Meaning what...the router is running DHCP server and the PC is set to get IP automatically via DHCP server?

Are you able to access the router via wifi from the Compaq?

Alternately, and somewhat related, have you tried a wired connection to the network, to see if you're able to connect to <a> the router, and <b> the internet?
Roland R-05

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:29 PM »
couldnt cut and paste because I am on a separate computer (MacBook) for internet, but Ive typed it all out.....

Windows IP configuration

Host name.....................:Megan
       Primary Dns Suffix..........:
       Node Type......................: Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled.........: No
       Wins Proxy Enabled........: No

Ethernet adapter Loca Area Connection:

Media State.....................: Media Disconnected
       Description......................: Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC
       Physical Address..............: 00-C0-9F-B9-11-99

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection specific DNS Suffix.:
       Description..............................: Broadcom 802.11 b/g WLAN
       Physical Address......................: 00-90-4B-F9-DC-4B
       Dhcp Enabled..........................: Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled.......: Yes
       IP Address...............................: 192.168.1.120
       Subnet Mask...........................: 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway.....................: 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server...........................: 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers...........................: 192.168.1.1
      Lease Obtained........................: Friday June 15, 2012  1:13:05 PM
      Lease Expires...........................: Friday, June 15, 2012  1:15:05 PM

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »
What flipp and rastasean said.  Also...

Meaning what...the router is running DHCP server and the PC is set to get IP automatically via DHCP server?

Are you able to access the router via wifi from the Compaq?

Alternately, and somewhat related, have you tried a wired connection to the network, to see if you're able to connect to <a> the router, and <b> the internet?

yes, the compaq (which is the computer I am trying to get connected) IS receiving a signal from my wifi router with VERY GOOD signal. However, when the browser is opened, it cant display the webpage. Same results with an ethernet cable. Connection registers fine, but will not actually work.

I am currently using the network I am trying to connect the compaq to. I am able to access the internet both wirelessly and via ethernet cable on my mac. When both of these are used in conjunction with the Compaq, I cant get to any websites, even though the computer tells me Im connected to the internet.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »
DNS Servers...........................: 192.168.1.1
Looks like your DNS server is your router, which it shouldn't be.

From your MAC, open a browser, and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar. Type in your user & password where prompted. You should be in the SETUP>Basic Setup window for your router. Scroll down and copy note the Static DNS 1 and Static DNS 2 numbers.  These numerical dotted addresses should be somewhere in the PC:  Start | Settings | Network Connections | options on the laptop. Replace the 192.168.1.1 with the dotted addresses you noted from the MAC. Select OK/Apply or however it's worded. Try connecting to a website again.

(not on an XP box so not sure exactly where they will go)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:01:49 PM by flipp »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 01:59:18 PM »
These numerical dotted addresses should be somewhere in the PC:  Start | Settings | Network Connections | options.

Yep, flipp's spot on.  Manually entering the DNS servers is done here:

Start | Settings | Network Connections | Right-click Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the Properties button.  Enter the DNS IP addresses in the bottom half of the main tab.
Roland R-05

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
These numerical dotted addresses should be somewhere in the PC:  Start | Settings | Network Connections | options.

Yep, flipp's spot on.  Manually entering the DNS servers is done here:

Start | Settings | Network Connections | Right-click Local Area Connection and select Properties.  Then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and press the Properties button.  Enter the DNS IP addresses in the bottom half of the main tab.

ok, Bri, Flipp, I found my DNS #'s, but theyre all 0's (see screen shot below...) When I try to chance the DNS IP addresses to 0's it wont let me. Says "0 is not a valid entry". Should these not be zero's?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com