Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ua5 blown due to high levels?  (Read 2880 times)

Offline mikesalvo

• Trade Count: (51)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
ua5 blown due to high levels?
« on: April 06, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
im running my ua5 out of the board as i type this. Feed from board is down real low my clip light is solid. I tried powering down and turning  the ua5 back on and the red light is still solid even though nothing is plugged in. Is there a chance ive blown my pre???

reporting from the field,
mike
AKG se300b (ck/91, ck/93) > Busman T-Mod R-4

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA bookmarks
Re: ua5 blown due to high levels?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »
im running my ua5 out of the board as i type this. Feed from board is down real low my clip light is solid. I tried powering down and turning  the ua5 back on and the red light is still solid even though nothing is plugged in. Is there a chance ive blown my pre???

reporting from the field,
mike
Single gain knob on back set all the way to the left(no gain)? That is assuming you are going rca>UA5 correct.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 03:25:54 AM »
well, i guess it was problems with my UA5. something is wrong with the unit. I pulled a sweet SBD of Toots tonight in NJ. I look forwad to transfering it, and sharing. I got home and checked my recording, and its great., but still my peak light is stuck on, even with nothing connected. any ideas? the show was hot tonight!

~Mike

stirinthesauce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:58 AM »
As long as your levels are fine and everthing sounds fine in post, I wouldn't worry about the peak light staying on.

FWIW, with the 2 ua-5's I've owned in the past, both clip lights came on at different spots.  One at -4db and one at -2db.   Consistency was not there.  Both were modded units.

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
well, i guess it was problems with my UA5. something is wrong with the unit. I pulled a sweet SBD of Toots tonight in NJ. I look forwad to transfering it, and sharing. I got home and checked my recording, and its great., but still my peak light is stuck on, even with nothing connected. any ideas? the show was hot tonight!

~Mike
Score a SVU-1 or SVU-02 or DIY one w/ a kit because like stirinthesauce said the meter is hard to read. For what its worth my came on at -6dB and stayed red at -0dB.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 12:06:29 PM »
another solution would be to dump the jb3 for an iriver H120 which has much better levels than the jb3. when i got the iriver and dumped my jb3, i was amazed at how much better the levels were.

Offline bugg100

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 03:29:09 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRONIC-HOBBY-KIT-STEREO-LED-VU-METER-SCALE_W0QQitemZ110139342726QQihZ001QQcategoryZ774QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

I got this kit and stuffed it for a stereo vu meter.  Works well enough but I wish it had a peak hold, I also bought 2 mono kits with 11 led fro more detail.  I stuffed 1 and haven't been able to make it work, but i have put it aside for a little while.  KIPA USA is the store name and dessie str is the sellers user name.

Offline mikesalvo

• Taperssection All-Star
  • get your Avett on!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2008, 09:21:53 PM »
i hear what youre saying about the peak light coming ion at different spots, but mine is just stuck on. Wont flash, or go off. even when NOTHING is plugged into it. Has this happenedd to anyone ever? Im kinda buggin'. Ive run some tests withmy playing guitar/singing, and all seems fine. I have however heard some weird, almost alien like noises in the background when there is recorded silence. real strange. Does any of this make any sense? +t to all whove chimed in. Hopefully this is an easy fix....

Offline rowjimmytour

• My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2008, 10:42:15 PM »
i hear what youre saying about the peak light coming ion at different spots, but mine is just stuck on. Wont flash, or go off. even when NOTHING is plugged into it. Has this happenedd to anyone ever? Im kinda buggin'. Ive run some tests withmy playing guitar/singing, and all seems fine. I have however heard some weird, almost alien like noises in the background when there is recorded silence. real strange. Does any of this make any sense? +t to all whove chimed in. Hopefully this is an easy fix....
If you get in a jam and need some one to check it out I highly recommend busman. He fixed my RCA input knob gain and did the busman  2+ mod to my UA5 for a very reasonable price when I still owned my UA5.
Peace
By hatchet, axe and saw

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com