Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

do i stick with the adc of the korg mr1 or put an adc between the nbox+ and mt2

stick with nbox+>korg mr1
17 (51.5%)
nbox+>add an ad2k>mt2
1 (3%)
nbox+>add a mytek>mt2
1 (3%)
nbox+>sell both devices and get a nagra r2r
2 (6.1%)
save my pennies, and go for the r4, r44, or 744
12 (36.4%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: ok, mk4>nobx+>??>mt2 or korg mr1  (Read 4302 times)

Offline kingfish

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
ok, mk4>nobx+>??>mt2 or korg mr1
« on: May 29, 2008, 02:46:54 AM »
heres the deal.  buying cmc6 bodies is not an option at this point.  i went with the nbox+ for particular reasons, and i am sticking with that.  i love my new pre, and i want it to be included in this equation. 

i have a number of recorders, and a 480>61, 62, 63>v3 setup as well.  i am trying to maximize my dollars against devices already owned, and looking for guidance from my brothers and sisters here for advice on how to best complete the schoeps rig. 

ultimately, this will come down to what i like, but a number of factors will play an important part.  i care about sound (dont get me wrong) but ergonomics will also play.  its one of the reasons that i havent pulled the trigger on a mytec yet.  it will just be be different.  (think mini-me vs v3)

at some point, i am gonna go 4 channel, so do i just go and buy the r44 (or r4, though i am falling out of love with this device based on my talks with people that have exposure to one, the other, or both). 

do i save my money and buy the 744 like i planned in a couple of months??

or do i shut the hell the up, soak in the fact that i have an mk4>nbox+ solution and be done with it??  i do like the dsd action, but its pretty limited in its applications (i feel silly recording to dsd, then having to resample _down_ to 24/96 to track and listen).  eventually useful, but right now, its beyond the pale.  moreso than i thought when i bought it, but i really, really like my mr1.  i do not like the adc of the mt2, so i wont be going that route.  i have no issue with 2 recorders, 1 for the nbox, 1 for the v3.

outside chance factor:  do i fund an inexpensive nagra and just go old school and blow all your minds when i show up fob??  lol

while i am not going to base my next sizable purchase on your answers, everyones input will be considered.  i am more than happy to provide any additional info you like, such as, i have a lowe pro nova 3 and 5, i have no issue buying a 4, though i would rather not, etc...

thoughts????

peace, bill
mics:  schoeps mk4, akg 480 (ck61, 62, or 63)
pre amps:  lunatec v3, nbox+, sd mp2
recorders:  busman mod fostex fr-2le, korg mr-1, mtII, iriver h120

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: ok, mk4>nobx+>??>mt2 or korg mr1
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 04:10:34 AM »
I have owned only five recorders: two SONY MD's and three SD's.  I like the SD's.  I also prefer going with two 722's C-linked over a 744 as each 722 has a pre-amp whereas with a 744 you need a pre-amp for channels three and four.  SD so saw this as an error in design that the new 788 has eight pre-amps.

So, I would say just save and buy the SD('s).  But ulitmately you will have to balance all your needs and prioritize them and make your own decision. 

BTW, I run Schoeps with the SD's and they sound pretty good.  I asm currently playing with the Schoeps Double M/S.  You can do a lot with that rig.

L8R
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • surly tapir
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 10:24:05 AM »
not entirely sure i know what you hope to accomplish with the nbox rig (assuming stealth since you already have other larger and equally nice gear).

86 the korg and get a r-09 is a good option for some nice adc in a small package.

or go for the SD and you can fund that by selling off some of the other gear.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

wklitz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »
All I know is Nbox>MR1 rocks!!  If you need more proof check out my Eagles recording from Sunday (the sound quality, not music quality)

Perfect little stealth setup.

Offline ianstone

• schoeps>something>something else
    • My Recordings on ARCHIVE
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 11:28:44 AM »
you should contact nick maybe he would be willing to build adjustable gain into your Nbox for you for a couple hundy

then get the ad2k+ and your gain problems would be solved

Microphones:
CCM4v (pair)
mk6 (pair) and mk41 (pair) with kc5's & cmc6's
mk21 (1) for those M/S situations

Preamps:
Sonosax SX-M2

Recorders:
Sound Devices 722
Edirol R-01

My Recordings on archive http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=%22ian%20stone%22

Offline kingfish

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »
not entirely sure i know what you hope to accomplish with the nbox rig (assuming stealth since you already have other larger and equally nice gear).

86 the korg and get a r-09 is a good option for some nice adc in a small package.

or go for the SD and you can fund that by selling off some of the other gear.

well, heres the 2 situations i see coming up that will have different applications.  phil is in 2 weeks, i can carry as much gear as i want, but since i am running up front, the low profile mk4 on stcg bar will be ideal.  my gear footprint is irrelevant.  a couple weeks after that, i am hitting the police/elvis costello show where low profile will be the mantra of the day, and only critical gear will find its way in with me.  in situation 1, i can run wide open (within reason) and do as i wish, in situation 2, i will need to be more economical about what i carry.

basically looking to have my cake and eat it to.

as far as the r-09, my understanding is that edirol device records to 24/44.1, has issues with a line in jack, and i would need to get a whole other storage medium (i think, but i maybe wrong, it takes sd cards right??  if cf, the point is moot).  so, while i know there are others who dig this device, i have decided to go in a different direction.  i consider the above three things negatives, and thats too many for my to buy another device, but that is not an indictment of the r09, just my opinion.

4 channel is kind of a separate deal.  and only the recorders would go when the decision is made to go for a 7xx device, whichever that may be.  i have posted looking for some other opinions about some 7xx stuff, and boojum keeps touting dual 722's with c link.  i do believe he is trying to get me into big, big, trouble with wifey.   :P :)
mics:  schoeps mk4, akg 480 (ck61, 62, or 63)
pre amps:  lunatec v3, nbox+, sd mp2
recorders:  busman mod fostex fr-2le, korg mr-1, mtII, iriver h120

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 12:31:34 PM »
as far as the r-09, my understanding is that edirol device records to 24/44.1, has issues with a line in jack, and i would need to get a whole other storage medium (i think, but i maybe wrong, it takes sd cards right??  if cf, the point is moot).  so, while i know there are others who dig this device, i have decided to go in a different direction.  i consider the above three things negatives, and thats too many for my to buy another device, but that is not an indictment of the r09, just my opinion.

Search on the r-09hr. There's lots of threads on it here. SD cards are cheap, the HR does 24/96, it's size makes it ideal for stealth and with the one retailer here offering 10% off right now, there's many reasons to consider getting it.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2008, 02:19:16 PM »
depending how hot the nbox output is, you could just set the levels low on the AD2K and normalize it in post. the noise floor on the AD2k is so low, that it is very forgiving. i recently did a comp, where one of the setups was mk4>cmr>AD2K with no preamp (AD2K set to +14dB). levels peaked at about -27 dB, i normalized it in post, i couldnt hear any additional noise beyond the noise generated from the mics themselves. the noise floor of the ad2k is around 117 dB, schoeps caps have 79 dB dynamic range, so theres quite a window in there. in any real world live recording situation, your crowd noise is going to be well above both of these noise floors.
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
All I know is Nbox>MR1 rocks!!  If you need more proof check out my Eagles recording from Sunday (the sound quality, not music quality)

Perfect little stealth setup.

I have to agree with Keith on this one. For loud stealth shows this is perfect.
If you are doing any quieter stuff, you might need another plan......cranking the gain
on the MR-1 past 6-7 will add plenty of noise.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2008, 08:03:01 PM »
you will need an attenuator cable if you use the microtracker....nicky built one for me (RCA out of Nbox > TRS for MT). you will also need a battery solution cause the MT interior battery wont last long and is not user replaceable

not sure if you need attenuators with the korg or r-09 but i am pretty sure they take regular batteries - AA's maybe
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 10:16:21 PM »
The r09 has a unity setting of 8, so you should be all set at most shows, I have only been to two shows where the R09 with an attenuator had to be turned down, where the R09 then also attenuates.

One was Godsmack where I was about 8' to the PA on the floor in front of me, and one was Tesla in a club where they brought in their own PA

The Nbox with the R09 is a simple, and easy solution and worth the time and effort

Offline Professor chaos

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Bringer of distuction and disorder."
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 02:20:05 PM »
i agree w/ keith nbox-> mr-1 is the sh*t.
Microtech Gefell SMS 2000 M20/m21->Oade M148/248->Korg MR-1000/Sony PCM M-10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008, 12:45:31 AM »
I also agree to stay with the mr-1.  IMO they sound on the same level as the SD7XX series if not better in the right circumstances.  DSD recording sounds amazing IMO and you can't beat the size (even though you have to carry around an external battery).

I just hope Korg releases an MR-2 this summer as it looks like the MR-1 may be being phased out (i.e. the $200 off and other deep discounts).
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline cfox

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 4channel Schoeps
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 02:35:18 PM »
do i save my money and buy the 744 like i planned in a couple of months??

yes, you will thank yourself later
Schoeps cmc1k + cmc1k
mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk21, mk8, mk2s
Sound Devices 833
m222>nt222
cmc6, vms5u, vms52, kc5, kcy, v3(m/s mod),
ad1000, HHb PDR1000, Sound Devices 744t, Sound Devices 833

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com