Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Attenuating clapping in live recordings - the easy way  (Read 56383 times)

LoveBuzz81

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Attenuating clapping in live recordings - the easy way
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2017, 07:46:42 PM »
How can you attenuate/filter only frequencies that are above a certain db level?  (for quiet performances with clapping 10 db's louder than the music.). This should be straightforward... not sure how to execute this with Logic or Audacity.

My preferred way in Audacity:

1. Highlight the area with loud clapping.
2. Effect > Hard Limiter
3. Set Residue Level to 0.7  Basically this softens the limiter somewhat making it not sound offensive like a limiter often does.
4. Set dB limit to -12 or so.  You may have to set it a little bit lower than you think because changing the Residue Level makes your setting here less than a "hard" limit.
5. Hit OK, then decide if that does what you wanted it to without actually limiting the music.  You will have to go back and forth and undo / redo a couple of times to get it where you want.  Make sure to leave Residue Level at 0.7, but adjust the dB limit.

I don't see Hard Limiter under effects in Audacity.  I'm using Noise Gate in LPX w/ the duck feature.  Not too effective.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2017, 09:16:31 AM »
Limiter

Any particular type of limiter?  Basically I want to filter all frequencies/sound -6db and louder and then normalize the wav file.

Any limiter will do that, though some have more control than others over how it's accomplished. I use FabFilter Pro-L.

Hmm, I'm trying a noise gate but it's only filtering sound below a certain threshold rather than above.  I'll check out some other plugins.

Do you use a hammer for screws? Wrong tool.

Offline mandodon

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2017, 12:34:41 PM »
Just recorded some at a bluegrass festival where there is clapping and yelling after some solos or in the middle of solos while songs are being played. Any advice for that? Just limit the whole recording?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2017, 01:25:52 PM by mandodon »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:52 AM »
Just recorded some at a bluegrass festival where there is clapping and yelling after some solos or in the middle of solos while songs are being played. Any advice for that? Just limit the whole recording?

Don't limit the whole recording; just limit those sections.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #64 on: June 16, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »
I'd run the limiter across the entire set. If you don't want it to limit the music just set the threshold above the music's peaks.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #65 on: June 16, 2017, 10:14:18 AM »
Just re-read the thread, almost everything in here looks needlessly time-consuming IMO. Using a limiter VST plugin in Reaper (I use FabFilter Pro-L) I'm able to find my threshold within seconds while the music plays and I can observe meters and see what's being limited and what isn't. I haven't made a selection regarding clapping in at least a decade. I spend a few seconds setting up a limiter at the end of my plugin chain, render and enjoy  :shrug:

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2017, 06:28:24 PM »
I have always highlighted each clap and reduced the gain of that clap. Works great and sounds very natural. But this seems like the way to go ;)

I do the same thing...1/100th of a second at a time.  I don't believe in compression, and find this to be the most natural sounding solution.  I'd like to know if the suggestions here are as natural sounding... Please let me know if you try them, considering we both seem to be of the same school of thought.
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #67 on: August 11, 2017, 05:18:06 PM »
All of these techniques are reducing dynamic range, or compression. Some just choose to do so manually.

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2017, 10:03:21 AM »
All of these techniques are reducing dynamic range, or compression. Some just choose to do so manually.

Yup. Manually pulling all the claps is just doing exactly what limiter would be doing.

Also +1 for Fab Filter. Love that thing

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2022, 05:36:06 PM »
Would someone with Fab Filter or similar be able to walk through their process? Having a hell of a time finding the right settings on a tape I have.

Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #70 on: June 28, 2022, 05:17:10 PM »
Would someone with Fab Filter or similar be able to walk through their process? Having a hell of a time finding the right settings on a tape I have.

I guess my standard process is set the output ceiling (usually at -.1db), move the look ahead up (I don't stress to much about actual look ahead time as long as it's not uber short) and then raise the gain while looping a loud section until I have the amount of reduction I want.

Offline nassau73

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2022, 12:54:25 PM »
In the years since I first replied to this thread, I've acquired RX and find that the De-Click module does a great job.
For dealing with obtrusive clapping in aud recordings, it can eliminate many claps entirely.
For most applications, I set it for the Multi-band (random clicks) algorithm drop down menu. For most instances Sensitivity at 6.5, Widening at 1.7 and skew at 0 works for me.
If that's not working well enough, you can check the "Output Clicks Only" box and adjust the settings so you're hearing only the clicks (claps) that would be removed without affecting the music.
Sometimes you might want some of the claps remaining as when the audience is clapping along with the music and you want to keep the live audience "feel" but don't want the overpowering claps of the person just a few feet away from your mics. In that case, when adjusting the skew, I've been able to attenuate the loudest claps but still keep the audience participation.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2022, 01:06:58 PM »
In the years since I first replied to this thread, I've acquired RX and find that the De-Click module does a great job.
For dealing with obtrusive clapping in aud recordings, it can eliminate many claps entirely.
For most applications, I set it for the Multi-band (random clicks) algorithm drop down menu. For most instances Sensitivity at 6.5, Widening at 1.7 and skew at 0 works for me.
If that's not working well enough, you can check the "Output Clicks Only" box and adjust the settings so you're hearing only the clicks (claps) that would be removed without affecting the music.
Sometimes you might want some of the claps remaining as when the audience is clapping along with the music and you want to keep the live audience "feel" but don't want the overpowering claps of the person just a few feet away from your mics. In that case, when adjusting the skew, I've been able to attenuate the loudest claps but still keep the audience participation.

Seconded all of this. RX De-Click is kind of crazy magical. (And works well on crackle from bad mic cables, too, if you tweak the settings a bit — for that I raised the frequency skew a bit and widened to 2.4.)

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2022, 03:19:26 PM »
all the izotope stuff is crazy black magic fuckery. De-noise/hiss has saved something I thought near unsalvageable more than once

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2022, 03:37:31 PM »
My favorite use of RX is removing the clunk of beer cans being thrown away
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com