Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6  (Read 109138 times)

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: TASCAM DR-680 portable 8-track #6
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2014, 06:39:22 PM »
The heat is localized about two inches from the back and two inches from the right side. It's definitely not over the whole back of the recorder,
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #196 on: April 01, 2014, 07:43:20 PM »
I bet if you cut away the casing you'll find a chip that you could drop a heatsync on to remedy this issue - you need direct contact with the chip for this to work
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline btemple

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2014, 07:41:18 AM »
I was recording um last night and during the recording the 1st channel started flashing from black to empty circle the level never dropped and the flashing continued throughout the show randomly (I think)  any ideas?  thanks in advance  Bryan

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #198 on: April 05, 2014, 12:19:56 PM »
Remember there are three points of gain control on the way out the headphone jack, if any one of them is too low, no umph- channel level, mix level, phones level.  Is your mix level at 100? In the past that caused the same problem for me until I realized what was going on.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #199 on: April 05, 2014, 03:20:42 PM »
9V

Not to rehash the whole thing again, but the consensus is that this problem is heat-realted, not 9V related. 

My lingering thought is that a higher volatage supply such as 12VDC might postpone onset though not prevent the manifestation.  I simply want to manage the issue in a practical way to prevent it's occurance when likely and wonder if a bit more voltage might reduce current demands and make a difference.  It may not make any difference, or it may make it better or worse.  It's nothing more than speculation.

The known preventive measure to is to better ventilate the deck, and to stop recording and preferably power down between sets to let the deck cool and to stop the problem and reset things if it does happen.

Mine has been fed nothing but a steady diet of 9VDC DVD-battery power backed up with the internal AA's since birth.  I think I used the AC supply once.  The AA's in the deck were dead by that afternoon but I didn't get a chance to change them out.  I checked to make sure and after that was simply careful to make sure I did not need to hot-swap DVD batteries during a set.

I picked up a couple of Tekken MP3300 battery packs that have a switchable power output from 3v-14v.   Reading here I understand the auto voltage sensing units have wrecked a few DR680s and shoudn't be used at all, but would I be safe to run my DR 680 using the MP3300 and if so, should I set it at 9v or 12v?

If you carry your 680 in a cooler bag, guess you could put one of those cooler ice packs in there, too, or would that cause condensation?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #200 on: April 05, 2014, 09:08:50 PM »
Glad that was it Chuck.

Never used a Tekken myself.  That seems to be the consensus though.  I'd guess you'd be fine at either the 9V or 12V switchable setting.  I'd probably use 12V as that's more comfortably in it's range, unless you find that makes it run hotter.

Rocks- The cooler bag makes for a functional, inexpensive gear bag.  Pockets on the outside, good shoulder strap, and the internal plastic tub is water-tight up to the zippered lid and retains its shape making it easy to arrange and manage gear.  Haven't used a cold pack in there, it would condense water out of the air here, and probably warm up before it was really needed.  I leave the lid open and put the small umbrella on top or something to shade it an let heat out.  It's soft sided which works better as bump protection than cooler insulation.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2014, 02:18:23 AM »
Just noting that B&H has the 680 price back down to $440, although they're closed for the holiday for a week. Free shipping!

Offline Carlos E. Martinez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2014, 05:56:54 PM »
The multi-voltage battery I bought from China has not yet arrived.

When it does I will comment about it here.

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2014, 07:36:07 AM »
So the level meters absolutely suck on this deck, the last show I ran with my Aerco was brick walled & I had absolutely no idea. Besides running really low where should I see my peaks on this turd?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2014, 09:57:02 AM »
So the level meters absolutely suck on this deck, the last show I ran with my Aerco was brick walled & I had absolutely no idea. Besides running really low where should I see my peaks on this turd?

Brick walled? What did the meters look like when recording? I've had mine for close to a year and have never had that problem.

I generally try to aim for around the reference line (although I'm forgetting the value at the moment). Also, from the manual:

"When recording, if a signal is distorted at the input stage, the area beneath its meter is highlighted.
If a recording level exceeds 2.0 dB below the maximum level, a mark appears at the top of its meter, indicating an overload."

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2014, 11:04:21 AM »
I find the meters to be pretty good too. If I get an over (which I think is actually -2dB from actual clipping) every ten minutes or so I figure I got the levels just right.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2014, 11:17:43 AM »
Yep no indicator on the channels but the mix levels were high, I was expecting some sort of warning. After the fact I found the the gain was too high on my preamp but to not see an over indicator of any kind on the deck was a major disappointment, at that point why bother with level indicators?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2014, 12:23:56 PM »
Yep no indicator on the channels but the mix levels were high, I was expecting some sort of warning. After the fact I found the the gain was too high on my preamp but to not see an over indicator of any kind on the deck was a major disappointment, at that point why bother with level indicators?

I have never experienced any 'brickwall' results with my deck, other than times when it was clearly apparent on the display, as referenced by lukpac above.
I always record 16/44.1, aim to get the peaks @ the line on the display, almost always amplify tracks in post, and never have any issue with noise from the units preamps.

Curious about your dilemma, and wondering what 'mix levels' you are referring to. All I can think of is that your brickwalled track might be a saved mix file, (which is labeled as ...000_st) but I guess that can't be it because I don't think you can record a mix file if you are using 7/8 as DIN. I'm not much help, but also wonder if this was the first time you ran the Aerco with the deck?

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2014, 03:19:42 PM »
Your mix level doesn't have any effect on your recording.  Unless you're recording your mix track as well, but still that's separate from your 'main' recorded channels.  Your mix level just governs your headphone out, mix track (if you're recording that) and your outputs (if your output is set to send your stereo mix to each set of outs rather than individual channels).

I guess it's anecdotal, but I've never experienced this issue either.  So far I've found some slightly frustrating errors all to ultimately be user error.  Not using fresh batteries, not formatting the SD card, not having the right adapters, ect...

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
The 680 has alerts for going over zero and for overloading the mic inputs.  See page 16 of the owner's manual for what they look like, but if you're overloading the input stage it shows it underneath the level meter of the channel that's overloading by putting a box around the circle at the bottom.  It's pretty easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/43/E_DR-680_OM_vA.pdf

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com