Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps MK41 --> ??? = For Film Dialogue?  (Read 2086 times)

Offline shaheedmalik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Schoeps MK41 --> ??? = For Film Dialogue?
« on: April 25, 2021, 12:03:28 PM »
Hello. I am looking to get a Schoeps microphone for film dialogue. I purchased a Sound Devices MixPre-6 yesterday from a member of the forum, and he told me about this place. I am trying to figure out my options.

When I record audio I usually run one microphone with a Rycote BBG which is attached to the shockmount  to a boom-pole with an internal XLR to the recorder. I was looking at the MK41, and he told me about the nbox.  I've been reading the forum for the last couple of hours but I am overwhelmed by the years worth of posts about it.

Would i better off getting a CMC5 or CMC6?

If I were to run Nbox set up, how would I go about that in a way that would feasibly work for my application?

Thanks.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps MK41 --> ??? = For Film Dialogue?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »
You could skip the nBox and just run CMC1/5/6 + MK41 straight into the MixPre. That would be lighter and more compact overall (and cheaper as well). The built-in pre-amps on the MixPre are good, in my opinion.

[EDITED: For clarity.]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 02:55:01 PM by aaronji »

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2021, 01:26:55 PM »
Yes, you need a CMC amplifier or some other active arrangement such as a KC cable and an nBox. But in professional applications an actual CMC amplifier is nearly always used because it puts out a balanced, low-impedance signal right behind the capsule. That gives you the best arrangement by far in terms of RFI and hum/buzz rejection. In fact, until reading this thread, I had never heard of any professional film or video sound recordist NOT using a CMC amplifier for a Colette capsule.

Of the available amplifiers, the CMC 1 is the one that I'd recommend. It has better rejection of RFI, lower current consumption, and (at 48 Volts) 4 dB better headroom than either the CMC 5 or 6. There are three different models depending on the cable configuration that makes the most sense for you. Please see https://schoeps.de/en/products/colette/microphone-amplifiers.html .

The CMC 5 amplifier isn't an option any more unless you buy one on the used market. But the CMC 6 is definitely preferable to it, again in terms of RFI rejection and also the capability of running either at 12 Volts or 48 Volts; for battery operation, 12-Volt phantom powering is twice as power-efficient with that model. And the CMC 1 is again preferable to the CMC 6 in terms of even better RFI rejection, lower current consumption, and of course the size and weight advantages.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:45:02 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2021, 01:37:45 PM »
^ Obviously, you need a CMC or some sort of amplifier/active set-up; I wasn't suggesting that the capsule could be directly plugged-in to the MixPre. You don't need an external pre-amp, such as an nBox, however. The OP could use his current boom pole with the internal XLR with an MK41 and body directly to the recorder. No need to spring for the nBox.   

Offline shaheedmalik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 08:39:26 PM »
^ Obviously, you need a CMC or some sort of amplifier/active set-up; I wasn't suggesting that the capsule could be directly plugged-in to the MixPre. You don't need an external pre-amp, such as an nBox, however. The OP could use his current boom pole with the internal XLR with an MK41 and body directly to the recorder. No need to spring for the nBox.

And it ultimately answers my question. I knew you needed a CMC or Nbox in between hence the ??? in the title. The nbox looks perfect for live sound operation but I wasn't sure how I would get it to work for my case.

Thanks again everyone.

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com