Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CA14 Omni and bass roll off  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Drifter1

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
CA14 Omni and bass roll off
« on: October 23, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
id like to ask in general what others are using for a Bass roll off if any at all when using the R07 with Church CA14 Omni mics....Ive used Ca14 cards for years without issue but now have 2 sets of Ca14 omni's as well which have provided bass heavy recordings so far ....R07>CABB>CA14 OMNI

Offline mountainhop

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: CA14 Omni and bass roll off
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2022, 10:21:13 AM »
if its not distorting your recording i always prefer to dial this in later in post. you cant put back whats not there.

Offline Drifter1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2022, 10:45:03 AM »
thank you for your reply your correct the recording is not distorted but the amount of Bass response is crazy and i understand your point of view and agree...lol...I tend to record in small clubs close to stage moniters or PA with cardiods without issue I was expecting quite abit of difference with the omnis but it seems out of the norm to have to dial it back afterwards when you can control it
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 10:50:30 AM by Drifter1 »

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »
thank you for your reply your correct the recording is not distorted but the amount of Bass response is crazy...lol...I tend to record in small clubs close to stage moniters or PA with cardiods without issue I was expecting quite abit of difference with the omnis but it seems out of the norm to have to dial it back

make sure when you are dialing it in at home you are doing it on decent speakers/monitors

headphones really wont give you the complete picture of setting low end

ive mastered a few recordings that i thought were perfect then get them on a different system and the bass is overpowering. omnis and subcards up close can really pull in a lot depending on the act.

Offline Drifter1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2022, 10:52:09 AM »
thank you for your reply your correct the recording is not distorted but the amount of Bass response is crazy...lol...I tend to record in small clubs close to stage moniters or PA with cardiods without issue I was expecting quite abit of difference with the omnis but it seems out of the norm to have to dial it back

make sure when you are dialing it in at home you are doing it on decent speakers/monitors

headphones really wont give you the complete picture of setting low end

ive mastered a few recordings that i thought were perfect then get them on a different system and the bass is overpowering. omnis and subcards up close can really pull in a lot depending on the act.

Thank you for sharing your experience every little bit helps....: )...if other members can speak to they're experience...I'd like to add that I am always far enough away from the stage monitors that it does not adversely affect the recording to an extreme but that was always with cards again thanks for the response and taking interest
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 11:45:43 AM by Drifter1 »

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2022, 12:04:44 PM »
I've used a battery box with bass roll-off for omnis — don't recall the exact roll-off settings. But the only reason to do this, really, is to create more headroom for the other frequencies and allow you to raise the gain; you're going to want to EQ afterwards regardless. So no need to replace your UBB if you don't want.

I would suggest playing with the EQ on your bass-heavy recordings and find settings that get your recordings to a place you're happy with them. (This will probably require a lot of trial and error, playing the results back on various speakers/headphones, sleeping on it, etc.) Then save those as a preset and make them the first thing you apply to your recordings after they're made.

Offline mountainhop

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2022, 12:10:27 PM »
I would suggest playing with the EQ on your bass-heavy recordings and find settings that get your recordings to a place you're happy with them. (This will probably require a lot of trial and error, playing the results back on various speakers/headphones, sleeping on it, etc.) Then save those as a preset and make them the first thing you apply to your recordings after they're made.

this shouldnt be overlooked

Offline Drifter1

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2022, 03:31:41 PM »
I've used a battery box with bass roll-off for omnis — don't recall the exact roll-off settings. But the only reason to do this, really, is to create more headroom for the other frequencies and allow you to raise the gain; you're going to want to EQ afterwards regardless. So no need to replace your UBB if you don't want.

Thank you for adding to the conversation things are now becoming abit clearer...really appreciate the sharing of info
« Last Edit: October 23, 2022, 03:33:13 PM by Drifter1 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com