Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help identifying modular pencil mics  (Read 2029 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Help identifying modular pencil mics
« on: December 15, 2022, 06:26:12 PM »
I just received the pictured modular mics from a very generous benefactor who donated them to me as part of a package. The person who gave them to me thought they were DPA 2006. He bought them from an unscrupulous eBay seller who claimed they were a DPA 4006 stereo set, but despite coming in a DPA briefcase with their very expensive 50 mm stereo bar and higher-end shockmounts, the mics are clearly made by another company. As you can see, the seller scratched off all branding and there are no serial numbers to be found on amplifiers or capsules. I have looked up a bunch of modular mics, but I can't figure out what these are, nor can I budge the screws to disassemble them. Some parts look like MBHO; others AKG. They seem to work perfectly from my initial testing. I'm hoping someone here can identify them.

Some details:

- They definitely have a "pro" heft and construction to them. They "feel" like Schoeps CMC mics with a flat black finish.
- My scale measures the amps at 112.4 g and the capsules at 23.4 g.
- 13 cm long; 20 mm diameter, not tapered (DPAs are 19 mm).
- The narrower area at the connector end has a slight "wave" where it widens to the full 20 mm of the body as you go around the circumference.
- What is left of the branding is gold-colored, as is the pattern ID on the capsule. The screw is gold/brass-colored.
- There is some black foam between the capsule diaphragm and the capsule grille.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 06:56:49 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline hubbachild

• Trade Count: (27)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Help identifying modular pencil mics
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2022, 08:05:52 PM »
LyxPro sdpc2

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2022, 09:11:05 PM »
Indeed. $100 a pair including interchangeable caps. I got a set of these for inexpensive miking for my own multi-track band recordings.

DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2022, 11:37:25 PM »
Thanks, all! I wouldn't have come across those on my own. They really do seem solidly made, but I'm sad that the person who gave these to me dealt with such a lousy scammer.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 11:53:33 PM by voltronic »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline heva

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2022, 02:25:24 PM »
It’s an incarnation of the Ningbo Shengke iSK cm10, also known as ‘iSK Little Gem’ and ‘Devine sm100’

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
...their very expensive 50 mm stereo bar...

I assume that is "cm" and it is the UA0836? If so, and it is something that you don't need/want, shoot me a PM. I have always wanted to try one, but have been put off by the retail price...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com