Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: phono input  (Read 1851 times)

Offline shane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
phono input
« on: November 23, 2005, 10:09:19 PM »
This may seem like a pretty basic question but..............Do I have to have a dedicated phono input to hook up a turn table to my amp?  Or can I just hook it up to any input and ground it?  Thanks. 

Shane

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: phono input
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 10:22:04 AM »
you need a dedicated phono input -- a normal turntable's output is quite different from a line level output

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:57:16 AM »
If you don't have a phono input on your receiver/preamp, you can add an outboard phono preamp which will bring the phono level up to line level.  In fact, if you have a phono input, it just means that you've already got an integrated phono preamp.  If not, you need an outboard one.  They range from $40 to $4,000.  ;)  Talk to the folks at needledoctor.com - they're very helpful and sell several nice ones under$100.  No relation - just a satisfied customer.

BTW - note that there are MM and MC phono preamps.  MM (Moving Magnet) or MC (Moving Coil) refers to the type of cartridge on your 'table.  The difference is mainly that an MC cartridge typically has a much lower output and needs to be amplified more.  Some MCs like my Sumiko Blue Point Special put out a high output more like an MM, so its best to pair these things with some amount of forethought.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 11:13:08 AM »
check the spec on your turntable.  a lot of entry (cheap) level to mid level turntables have a built in switchable Preamp.  just turn it on and use any available input on your receiver.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline shane

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 11:54:23 AM »
Thanks guys.  I don't have a turntable yet but I might be picking one up soon.  I just want to be sure what I need before I jump in. 

Shane

zowie

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 07:37:10 PM »
The turntables w/ built-in phono preamp are crap, and not even priced as cheaply as they ought to be in some cases.  You need a phono input or an external phono pre.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com