Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F3 Part 2  (Read 13055 times)

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re: Zoom F3 Part 2
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »
I tried to use my words carefully but I meant when directly facing the inputs. I consider this upside down because well, the actual number “1” (and the “2”) that they physically emboss on the recorder, are upside down from the angle in your pic.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline wordgroove

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2023, 09:17:58 PM »
ok did some battery test runs
 got the Nih battery nickels
rechargables Powerex

i been recording for over 5 hours - on line in - no phantom
and it still has three bars

i'mma use with preamp so i don't need phantom

but will do tests with phantom
and i also have some li ion rechargbles

Taz

Offline sdbirder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2023, 08:03:07 PM »
I was about to purchase an external power source for my Zoom F3 when I remembered that my newer Wurkkos TS25 flashlight has a power bank feature. Last night, I conducted a test with my Rycote HC-22 Shotgun Mic (48v phantom @ 96k/32bit-float), and I was able to record for 16 hours straight using just the flashlight. I used a premium Molicel 21700 P45B 4500mAh 45A Battery. While it's definitely pricier than some Anker options out there, you also get a great flashlight. Just thought I'd share...

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2023, 04:03:07 PM »

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2023, 06:50:43 PM »

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2024, 10:21:36 AM »
Just picked up one of these used, off Reverb for $225 shipped. Looking forward to joining the 32 Bit Revolution !

Thank you Fantasy Football Gods  :D
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
SPC4 Hypers / Omni's / Card Caps
ZOOM F3 (32 Bit) + ZOOM H6

1850+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline detroit lightning

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2024, 07:05:20 PM »
Reposting here for some thoughts:

So, I’m in the midst of changing my philosophy with taping a bit. Quick backstory - have been at this, off an on, for about 20 years now. Started very simple with cheapo set up - eventually settled into a CA rig. Over the years made my way up into multichannel, but in recent years have just not been into the hassle of the setup & more advanced post production.

For now, I’m basically running a share MV88 into an iPhone and calling it a day. I’m probably fine with that, but I do have a Zoom F3 and the ability to run that setup when needed (I basically only mess with mic stand taping when it’s crystal clear that the band is ok with it, and it’s not going to be a hassle getting it in).

I DO like the ease of taping 32 bit, so I’m wondering the best way to utilize the F3 in a kind of >:D / low profile way - like running a pair of DPAs, or something cheaper like CA / SP mini mics into it. Is my best bet some sort of XLR adapter?

Like, ultimately running 4061 > F3 would be ideal. Even if I needed a battery box, that would still be pretty straightforward. But it would be super easy to set up, and generally post work would be fairly straightforward.

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2024, 07:07:19 PM »
if you can find one a dpa mma:a dvice and any microdot microphones and an iphone make a dead simple and super low profile setup.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline detroit lightning

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2024, 07:12:57 PM »
if you can find one a dpa mma:a dvice and any microdot microphones and an iphone make a dead simple and super low profile setup.

Yup, I actually ran that rig for a few years. As good as it gets in terms of low profile…IMO.

That said, the dvice is a pricy piece of gear…and I’m looking for something 32Bit.

If that deity 32 bit recorder ever sees the light of day, I might give that a look.

I mean, I’m being pretty particular here…going to 32Bit isn’t THAT big of a deal…I’m just looking to see what sort of options are best with the F3 that I already have (and like).

Offline breakonthru

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2024, 04:08:35 AM »
Im going to go out on a limb and say that the deity won’t reach the performance of the d:vice which has a well-designed mic preamp circuit and a very high dynamic range for its size.

Just a hunch tho.

Adding 32bit is a nice feature but imo pretty academic to 406x series mics that have (relatively) high self-noise. In most cases (esp >:D environment) you’re working with a signal that can easily fit into a 16 bit container, and very very easily into a 24 bit container.

d:vice with the gain turned all the way down will still pull a recording in a loud environment with decent levels above -24 dB so plenty of headroom there

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2024, 08:46:27 AM »
Folks have a preferred small protection bag they put this unit in ? Currently have a mesh bag found amongst my things, but looking for something with a little more cushion to keep it in within my larger bag.

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2024, 05:53:22 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1JJLHFN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I picked up this hard case made for the F3 on Amazon for $15. Not much bigger than the unit and has room for a power cable too.

Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2024, 06:02:11 PM »
The 32 FP autoranging ADC stuff becomes a game-changer when you are recording things with somewhat unpredictable dynamic range and you can't do a proper sound check.

So while I agree with what breakonthru posted above, it's more on the upper end of levels that this format has been most useful for me where I don't have to think about gain levels, limiters, etc. If the dynamics of what you are recording are rather consistent/predictable, the benefits of this recording format are not nearly as great.

Case in point: I am recording a school district choral festival next week. I'll have my 788 back in house from its fresh once-over at the mothership. But I will record this concert with my F6, Even though I find the 788 to have a little better sound quality. This is because I will be supervising a large bunch of kids, conducting my own students, and having a compressed setup window with two separate mic arrays. The 788 would mean I'm taking a second peli case in with me and I need to travel a bit more light and compact. I won't have time to do a proper level check for the 788. Heck, I won't even be able to get at my gear once the concert begins.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Papaphunk

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2024, 08:06:38 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B1JJLHFN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I picked up this hard case made for the F3 on Amazon for $15. Not much bigger than the unit and has room for a power cable too.

Ordered, Ty!

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2024, 08:24:15 AM »
I bought the same hard cases for my two F3s--they seem pretty robust. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com