Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H4n - after 3 years  (Read 4088 times)

Offline refrain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Zoom H4n - after 3 years
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:32 AM »
Hello,

My faithful Zoom has several problems creeping in, after 3 years of very good use, it traveled a lot, used in some harsh surroundings never failed me yet, well until now... the right mic started to get very high noise, like white noise, not a particular frequency...  in the beginnig I could shut it down and when on again, the noise would disappear but now, it just stays there, no matter what I do. And nothing strange happened. Only one of the mics does that, so impossible to record now with the internals... does anyone had a situation like this? Also after plugging a jack-to-rca converter (a chinese one for sure), the tip never came out, still is inside and I cant get it out unless I change the entire XLR connection (which I cant)... To short things out, soon I'll be in the market for a new handheld recorder, the problem is, this one (H4n) fits the bill quite nicelly, the D50 has better build and slight better internal mics, but more expensive and no XLR, no on board MS, etc, the only that really is in the same league (more expensive, better build, better preamps) is the Marantz 661, but what about its internal mics? all the others have only PIP power, no XLR, M10 (Primo capsules, but bad stereo separation), LS11, LS5, the Tascam DR100 is more expensive, its preamps are more or less the same as the H4n, and its internals... 

Anyone can shed some light on this matter?

Thank you
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Zoom H4n - after 3 years
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:06:36 PM »
Some quick thoughts...

Of the recorders you mentioned go with PMD661, it doesn't have built in M/S but it is better to handle M/S in post anyway because it allows you to vary the M/S ratios giving you flexibility of the stereo ambience.  I don't really use the internal mics so I can't offer you a valuable opinion on them.

If you need more tracks, and I find myself wishing for more tracks sometimes then either a Roland/Edirol R44 or Tascam DR-680 could be worth considering.

I'm very happy with the 661, however, I'm contemplating switching to an R44 or more likely just picking up a small supplemental recorder.   Something like an M10 or R09HR alongside my 661 would allow recording a second set of mics when desired.   This option would provide redundancy with a backup rig which could also be used by itself when a lower profile is best.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:17:14 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline bugg100

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:30 AM »
Hello,

the right mic started to get very high noise, like white noise, not a particular frequency...  in the beginnig I could shut it down and when on again, the noise would disappear but now, it just stays there, no matter what I do. And nothing strange happened.

Also after plugging a jack-to-rca converter (a chinese one for sure), the tip never came out, still is inside and I cant get it out unless I change the entire XLR connection (which I cant)...   

Anyone can shed some light on this matter?

Thank you

A couple of quick thoughts...

Humidity can cause problems like what you describe, experience any rainy or damp conditions?  Have you tried dessicant crystals (or uncooked rice in a ziplock) to absorb the potential moisture?

Broken tip from a TRS or TS jack?  Is this by any chance on the side that is now problematic? Does the H4N autoswitch when input is present on XLR combo jack? Either way there are vendors whom can replace that jack for you....
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:32:54 AM by bugg100 »

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:46:26 AM »
Two questions:
Do you intend to stealth with the recorder? In that case, I would just get a littlebox + an M10. Or is there a budget constraint?

Why/when do you need to use the internal mics? Is this for critical taping, or just casual/ambient sound stuff?
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline refrain

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your reply's, regarding several things: in the case of the 661, I was inquiring about the quality of the internal mics, its where it fits regarding the H4n, handheld recorders with okay internal mics, because I do have a Fostex FR2-LE, and i´m quite happy with the preamps for very low ambient recording... a bit big with bad construction, but very good recorder (you can only go up to more expensive SD territory, or even up sonosax, etc)...
Some quick thoughts...

Of the recorders you mentioned go with PMD661, it doesn't have built in M/S but it is better to handle M/S in post anyway because it allows you to vary the M/S ratios giving you flexibility of the stereo ambience.  I don't really use the internal mics so I can't offer you a valuable opinion on them.

Thanks for the advice, its something I'll try... yes, perhaps you're right, it caught some rain, and some damp conditions... but a few months ago, before everything started... because when using the XLR with XLR or the mini-jack plugin connection everything works really good, no noise, I´ve using my CA binaurals on PIP quite often this days... or even my MS canford preamp on XLR, but in the handheld situation... i used a lot the internals...

Humidity can cause problems like what you describe, experience any rainy or damp conditions?  Have you tried dessicant crystals (or uncooked rice in a ziplock) to absorb the potential moisture?

Broken tip from a TRS or TS jack?  Is this by any chance on the side that is now problematic? Does the H4N autoswitch when input is present on XLR combo jack? Either way there are vendors whom can replace that jack for you....

[/quote]

I use it anywhere, it travels in my bagpack everyday, from ambient to concert... from stealth to more exposed situations, that's why, I can only think about the Sony D50, which has very good mics, or at least to my taste very close to the H4n, a bit more neutral (but misses the rest)... the M-10 is very small (too much), with a lot of noise coming from its own body being touched (zoom uses a rubber coat that works really good), M-10 uses Primo EM172 capsules, they have very low noise ( 14db, I guess) similar to Telinga mics, but the problem is stereo separation, i've tested it with very good results, but stereo... I also tested the Olympus LS11 and LS5, but way too small, with okay mics, but the rest...

Two questions:
Do you intend to stealth with the recorder? In that case, I would just get a littlebox + an M10. Or is there a budget constraint?

Why/when do you need to use the internal mics? Is this for critical taping, or just casual/ambient sound stuff?

My handheld dream recorder, would be a H4n in terms of price, rubber coat, operating system, but with the XLR's of the 661, or FR2 LE... the PIP of the M-10 and the internal mics of the D50...

So going trying what bugg100 mentioned, and hope for the best...

Thank you all,
CS
Mics: 2x Oktava MK-012 Card (XY, ORTF), AT BP4025 (STEREO XY), Fel Clippy (omni stereo XLR pair - UK), Immersive Sound Earsights (omni stereo XLR pair - FR), Sony ECM 55B (Lav), 2x JrF Piezo and Hydrophone (UK), Lom Geophone (SLOV), Organic Audio Piezo/hydrophone (IT), DIY piezo mics
Audio Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6, Zoom H5
Assorted audio acessories: Motu Ultralite MKIII, Echofire2 interface, Mackie 802 VLZ3 mixer, Rycote BBG, Sennheiser hd25
Audio Monitors: Yamaha HS7, Yamaha MSP5

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com