Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Camcorder and MiniDV tapes - same brand, doesn't matter  (Read 2047 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Camcorder and MiniDV tapes - same brand, doesn't matter
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:32:14 PM »
my question is does sticking to the same brand tape actually help recording and playback?
Not does the tape have to be the same brand as the camera

i read here a while back that using different brand tapes could actually cause the camera not to work as good and/or cause playback "glitches" (something about dry and wet) and am wondering if anyone knows of a place i can read up more on this

also is there a better cleaning tape brand compaired to others?
thanks

PS - for what its worth i got a canon camcorder and maxell tapes

i did find a little more info on the tapes, but all it says is that mixing the 2 can cause the heads to need and be cleaned
i assume using the cleaning tape is not the best thing to do for the heads so picking a "dry" tape and sticking to it is the best bet it seems
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:39:26 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Camcorder and MiniDV tapes - same brand, doesn't matter
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »
Yes, it can affect playback and recording.  I was mixing between Panasonic and JVC brands and one camera kept dropping frames during a capture when the same tape had no frames dropped in another identical camcorder.  I ran a cleaning tape in the problem camera and it was fine after that.  Now I stick with JVC simply because I got a good deal on bulk tapes.  Stay with one brand and cleanings should be rarely needed.

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:38:36 PM »
I work in the industry. This is true. One brand isn't necessarily better than the other, but which ever brand you go with, you should stick with.

I actually called someone out last week when I saw some glitches in their footage.... sure enough he was using JVC tape, and we use panasonic normally.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:35:44 PM »
thanks guys
thats exactly what was happening with my old camera - dropping frames on capture to imovie/fcp

i have a cleaning tape but it doesn;t seem to do much good - i am thinking its to late for my camera to get "fixed"
but with the new camera i will stick to maxell (sams club has them cheap)
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com