Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Oade m248 Charger question  (Read 1755 times)

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Oade m248 Charger question
« on: February 14, 2004, 08:39:24 AM »
Okay, I have a PowerSonic PSC-12250-A charger for my m248 pre-amp. Here's a picture of the back of the charger:

Lately, the cables have begun to come apart, exposing a bit of the copper wiring up near where the connects are to the charger. Last week I plugged it in and left it charging. I checked on it a couple of hours later, and the charger was extremely warm. I unplugged it immediately, and noticed that the whole time it was "charging" exposed wires from each + and - were touching each other. I let the charger cool down and then fixed the exposed wires problem. I plugged the unit back in, and let it charge overnight. Next morning, the charger is not warm (as before), only the Fast Charge light is still on, indicating that it is still charging. Under normal conditions, the charging only takes a few hours.

Question:  Did I fry the PS charger (easily replaceable)? or may I have done some damage to the m248 internal battery? or both?
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline BobbyHurley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • got a blank space where my mind should be
Re:Oade m248 Charger question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2004, 11:27:03 AM »
Doug's answer:

Hi !
Sadly that can short both the charger and the battery as it is connected to the battery when it is charging. It will not overload the battery, it will short it, same thing as if you took the positive terminal and tied it to the negative one, that is what happened. This  means it will take up to two days to recharge, if the chargers internal protection worked. Do you have a volt meter ? If so, please check the output of the charger, it should be around 13.5 volts, if close odds are the charger is fine and it will over time, fully recharge the internal battery.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2004, 11:27:25 AM by BobbyHurley »
AKG C 480 B (CK61 and CK63) > Oade m248 > GAK cable > Sony M-10

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Oade m248 Charger question
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004, 01:31:37 PM »
d'oh!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.236 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com