Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: sla for laptop and ua5?  (Read 2878 times)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • They're baaack! ??
sla for laptop and ua5?
« on: February 15, 2004, 01:23:55 PM »
ok..let me start by saying, This math, isn't that hard, but understanding all the different terms(for a newbie) is extremely difficult, as I am not into electrics at all!  I am wondering what it would take(if possible) to run a sla to power my laptop (14.8V, 3200mAH) and my ua5 (500mAH) with the same sla in the field, and have several hours.  Is this possible with the different voltages?  I am not looking to spend lots of money either, thats why I have not purchased a laptop pack.  They are just too expensive.  I do not go to record that often, and only in local clubs when i do(some have power some dont). I was looking at rat shack, and saw they had some 12V 7000mAH sla's for less than $30.  Would this work?  Sorry to be such a newb.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re:sla for laptop and ua5?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2004, 06:54:17 PM »
I don't think an sla is the route you want to take.  They don't make a 14.8v sla due to cell voltage proerties.

I do think you could make a 15volt D sled to power the laptop though.  It would consist of  10 "D" batteries connected in series.

Using these rechargeables:

http://shop.mahaenergy.com/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5

you would have enough power to run for about 2 hours (7500 mAh)

But at  almost $28 for 2 of these you're better off dropping the extra coin for the batteries made for laptops.

The 12 volt sla you mentioned would work great for the ua-5 by itself.

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline sexymexi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2004, 07:59:49 PM »
is it safe to run a ua-5 off 12 volts?  i mean the batts for mine say 9.6v, but they charge at 12 v, and at a full charge with my multimeter, they say like 11.7 v's.  if this is the case, then i might have to run my deck, and ua-5 off my sla. no need for other batt's.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2004, 08:59:52 PM »
yes...running a ua-5 off a 12 volt sla if fine.   That's what Oade uses for their ua-5 battery packs....12 volt slas.

The ua-5 also runs just fine off 9.6 volts which is why many people run them off the lighter RC battery packs.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004, 09:08:32 AM »
I could be very wrong as I've never tried this(nor am I a electrician), but couldnt you wire 2 SLA(say a 12v and a 6v) in series to sum the voltages, creating a 18v pack, or would you need to put a regulator in there?
most laptops require 15-19v

the water's clean and innocent

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004, 09:25:36 AM »
I could be very wrong as I've never tried this(nor am I a electrician), but couldnt you wire 2 SLA(say a 12v and a 6v) in series to sum the voltages, creating a 18v pack, or would you need to put a regulator in there?

do not sum up different voltages!!!!!  the 12V will begin to charge the 6V and you would not like the results. :(

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2004, 09:32:02 AM »

do not sum up different voltages!!!!!  the 12V will begin to charge the 6V and you would not like the results. :(

marc

ah, thanks...like I said above, "I could be very wrong . . . nor am I a electrician"

the water's clean and innocent

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2004, 10:57:29 AM »
but you can connect 3 like 6volt batteries in series to get 18volts.  ;)

I didn't suggest this because I don't know how fickle laptops are on power.  

If the person is willing to carry around 3 SLAs and the laptop will take 18 volts it'll work....oh yea...and then carry a 12 volt for the ua-5. :P

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.325 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com