Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: thoughts on the Audio-Technica AT822  (Read 13688 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
thoughts on the Audio-Technica AT822
« on: August 06, 2008, 02:50:39 PM »

i've recently run across a couple of amazing recordings with this mic - anyone have any strong feelings on this either way?

also, anyone have one to sell? (i know, i know...wrong forum...)

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: thoughts on the Audio-Technica AT822
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:07:19 PM »
I have seem more interest in this microphone AFTER I bought it than I ever did while I was searching for it.

I own this mic and I got it from an individual on here. I really like it for the field-recordings I've done, but I have not done any music recordings. While I was thinking about buying this mic, it was suggested this would be better for stage lip kind of recordings or at least up close style recordings. Nothing is wrong with that, ever mic has a sweet spot. I haven't used this mic with my 9100 pre-amp yet but I don't think it will be a problem. What kind of recorder do you have? For the best results, I was using my hi md recorder and used the manual mic sensitivity.

The ONLY issue I have is with the cord that I got with the mic. Its a nice high quality cable but it introduces quite a bit of handling noises when you even touch it.

What kind of music are you looking to record?

Edit: let me know if you want any sample recordings and of what.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:09:02 PM by rastasean »
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:36:21 PM »
I have (three!) of these mics.  No, I don't have a gear problem.  I have an Ebay problem.

Great for close up stuff, doesn't sound as good far back.
Better for acoustic stuff than rock and roll.
Can be hacked (yay!) to have just the head of the mic running to miniplug, and, yes, directly into Edirol R09.  (Needs a 4.7k mod for this to work properly).

Very nice mic, I really like it four acoustic recording, or when I want something really low profile to mix with soundboard.  Don't run it far back at a big PA show though.  It will not sound good.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:59:36 PM »
Richard,

can you tell me a little more about the 4.7K mod? I hear this dropped all the time but I have no clue.

thanks,
sean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:14:17 PM »

i would be running into an edirol r-09 - and currently have a pair of church audio caps and the 9100 preamp. as i said, i heard a few recordings recently with the same setup (must have had the mod) that were fantastic.

iwould be recording rock to acoustic stuff in small type clubs as well as larger (app. 2000) venues.

i would be interested in any samples as well as the price i could expect to pay.

Offline sanaka

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25:35 PM »
I have one and agree it has a nice sound for intimate acoustic stuff (which is mostly all I record). The output is not real hot however (-45/5.6mV). It won't do real well directly driving a MT2496, for instance (but then will anything?). So I'd say the S/N ratio isn't great unless it's going into a good pre. But in that case, the AT825 is kind of a better match - it's pretty much the same mic but balanced output and can use phantom. YMMV.

Peace,
Sanaka
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:27:41 PM by sanaka »

Offline pwig

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »
I have one and agree it has a nice sound for intimate acoustic stuff (which is mostly all I record). The output is not real hot however (-45/5.6mV). It won't do real well directly driving a MT2496, for instance (but then will anything?). So I'd say the S/N ratio isn't great unless it's going into a good pre. But in that case, the AT825 is kind of a better match - it's pretty much the same mic but balanced output and can use phantom. YMMV.

Peace,
Sanaka

Are either the 822 or 825 cardiod?

Offline trajhip2000

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 05:47:12 PM »
X-Y stereo (with card caps)

easy jim

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 07:25:48 PM »
X-Y stereo (with card caps)

FWIW, I've made some great sounding recordings w/ an AT822 from a distance when using an external pre (Aerco).  I guess I've just reminded myself to dig up and transfer my DATs from the winter '95 Ratdog run in the Bay Area.

Offline anechoic

• Taperssection Regular
  • composer, writer, sound designer
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 08:19:26 PM »
I had two of these mics -- I bought one as a backup but sold it recently to help fund my Aevox stereo mic
(I will post files from these soon)
I use my 822 for field recording not live music
but I concur that the output is a little low in level and need a good quiet preamp to bring it up
I use my 822 on a boom pole with zepplin and shaggydog and I like the recordings I get very much

you can pick them up used from time to time on eBay for ~$200USD

*what is the 4.7k mod mentioned earlier? curious
'In the new world the characteristic unit will be
small, highly mobile, independent and intelligent.'
                                - Robert Fripp

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 11:17:30 PM »
trajhip2000, Audio-Technica describes this as a one-point stereo microphone, but in fact the capsule head contains two small, separate cardioid capsules spaced apart and facing outward, kind of like a shrunken ORTF arrangement. The capsules are definitely not coincident, and recordings made with this microphone aren't mono-compatible at high frequencies.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2008, 11:21:04 PM »
trajhip2000, Audio-Technica describes this as a one-point stereo microphone, but in fact the capsule head contains two small, separate cardioid capsules spaced apart and facing outward, kind of like a shrunken ORTF arrangement. The capsules are definitely not coincident, and recordings made with this microphone aren't mono-compatible at high frequencies.

--best regards
I think mono compatable could only apply to a mid-sid mic, right?

Any so-called "single point" mic that I've seen has *some* distance between capsules, right?  For example, would the Rode NT4, with capsules one above the other, be mono compatable?

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline sanaka

• Taperssection Regular
  • Perpetual n00b
    • My first Dead show
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:06:17 AM »
I think mono compatable could only apply to a mid-sid mic, right?

Um, no. From DPA:

Coincidence stereo
Coincidence stereo is the generic term for all stereo techniques where the two microphones are placed exactly in the same point. This technique uses directional microphones to create the stereo image. The stereo width is set by the microphones' off-axis attenuation and is both dependent on the stereo set-up and the quality of the individual microphone's polar pattern. Among the more well known coincidence stereo techniques are XY stereo, MS-stereo and Blumlein stereo.

Mono compatibility and dialogue
Normally coincidence stereo is characterized by a good mono compatibility, which is preferable if used on dialogue. Care should be taken when choosing microphone types for the stereo set-up, as the main dialogue should be placed in the center, which in many cases (XY stereo and Blumlein stereo) is off-axis of the microphones. It is therefore important to check the off-axis characteristics of the microphones on forehand.

Any so-called "single point" mic that I've seen has *some* distance between capsules, right?

Yes of course, but real close together is considered (and behaves) 'coincident'. Basically, the further apart the capsules, the less mono compatible.

Microphone University

Peace,
Sanaka

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 02:13:30 AM »
Just a note...

Mono compatibility is no longer a real issue IMO. I can't remember the last time 'mono playback' and 'audio-quality' were on the same requirement specification.

The AT822 is a nice mic. I'd probably get the AT825 tho. Either will make great field-recordings.

digifish
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 02:15:46 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline JM Charcot

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 03:40:21 AM »
I had two of these mics -- I bought one as a backup but sold it recently to help fund my Aevox stereo mic
(I will post files from these soon)
I use my 822 for field recording not live music
but I concur that the output is a little low in level and need a good quiet preamp to bring it up
I use my 822 on a boom pole with zepplin and shaggydog and I like the recordings I get very much

you can pick them up used from time to time on eBay for ~$200USD

*what is the 4.7k mod mentioned earlier? curious

Do you consider the Aevox mic to be better than the AT-822?

Kind regards,

JM.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com