Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: R-09 taping and upgrade questions  (Read 3315 times)

Offline twoheadedboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
R-09 taping and upgrade questions
« on: August 20, 2008, 12:12:27 PM »
I'm going to be attending a small theater show...the type of event with ushers walking up and down the aisle in a dimly lit but not dark environment, chastising people with digital cameras, so I'm going to try taping with my R-09's internal mics...not optimal, but better than nothing. I just want to set it (24-bit/44.1khz), put it on my leg, and not touch it for the rest of the show. My question is, what are good safe settings for the other options, such as input volume and the switches on the back?

Also, I'm looking to upgrade this deck in the near future. The new R-09HR looks very interesting, but I want to make sure it's the best option for me...basically I want to be able to record 24-bit 88.2khz audio with the best combination of sound quality and portability/stealthability out there. The Korg units look interesting too but they're a little pricier and not as "feature-filled". Being able to use AA batteries internally is a plus, as is SD vs. CF but I'm not too picky there as I'm getting a new card regardless.

Thanks!

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: R-09 taping and upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
I'm going to be attending a small theater show...the type of event with ushers walking up and down the aisle in a dimly lit but not dark environment, chastising people with digital cameras, so I'm going to try taping with my R-09's internal mics...not optimal, but better than nothing. I just want to set it (24-bit/44.1khz), put it on my leg, and not touch it for the rest of the show. My question is, what are good safe settings for the other options, such as input volume and the switches on the back?

Also, I'm looking to upgrade this deck in the near future. The new R-09HR looks very interesting, but I want to make sure it's the best option for me...basically I want to be able to record 24-bit 88.2khz audio with the best combination of sound quality and portability/stealthability out there. The Korg units look interesting too but they're a little pricier and not as "feature-filled". Being able to use AA batteries internally is a plus, as is SD vs. CF but I'm not too picky there as I'm getting a new card regardless.

Thanks!

Do not touch the switches on the back ;)
Taping 24/48 (or 44.1) make things easier for you: just set your levels peaking
at -12db to -06db and you'll be fine.
R-09HR is the way to go IMHO. ;)
Hope that helps
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:17:36 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline twoheadedboy

• Taperssection Regular
  • Catching signals that sound in the dark....
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:43:48 PM »
I don't think you get it...I'm going to have to obscure the screen and power button. This is stealth to the max!

I'm looking for someone's prior experience as to what a good "safe" level for the volume will be. I just want to avoid clipping, 24-bit should give me enough resolution to salvage SOMETHING beyond that.

Also, I'm assuming the switches on the back should be AGC off, Ext Mic Type stereo, Low Cut off, Mic Gain low?

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
Also, I'm assuming the switches on the back should be AGC off, Ext Mic Type stereo, Low Cut off, Mic Gain low?

Yes, unless a very quiet performance, then Mic Gain high.

Trying to set levels without actually looking at the screen is a gamble.  With 24 bit, go very conservative and boost in post. Clipping is forever.

I'd get the unit higher than your leg unless you want a lot of clapping.  Shirt pocket may be a better idea.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 02:20:47 PM »
I don't think you get it...I'm going to have to obscure the screen and power button. This is stealth to the max!

I'm looking for someone's prior experience as to what a good "safe" level for the volume will be. I just want to avoid clipping, 24-bit should give me enough resolution to salvage SOMETHING beyond that.

Actually, I get it. But like Belexes said, trying to set levels without actually looking at the screen is a gamble.
Good luck  ;)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:42:35 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:47:32 PM »
As far as the upgrade, I'd spend my money on external mics before switching to the R-09HR from the R-09.  I haven't used the HR, but I'm happy with my R-09.  You'll notice a far greater improvement in your recordings with external mics versus the internals, than you will recording in 24/88.2 as opposed to 24/44.1, IMO.
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline rhinowing

• SPLRA - Smashing Pumpkins Live Recording Association
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:37:13 PM »
I agree with shirt pocket--I made some great recordings using that method before I owned external mics. You just have to be careful not to accidentally breathe onto the mics.
Please contact me if you've ever taped the Smashing Pumpkins or a related group!

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:58:34 PM »
As far as the upgrade, I'd spend my money on external mics before switching to the R-09HR from the R-09.  I haven't used the HR, but I'm happy with my R-09.  You'll notice a far greater improvement in your recordings with external mics versus the internals, than you will recording in 24/88.2 as opposed to 24/44.1, IMO.

I've used both machines (quite happily) and I couldn't agree with ^^^ more.  The differences between the R-09 and the R-09HR are subtle.  Adding external mics, the improvement will be far from subtle.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

thepassionofyonder

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 06:09:39 PM »
I just want to set it (24-bit/44.1khz), put it on my leg, and not touch it for the rest of the show.
lets see no external mics and setting it on you leg...
good luck with that recording, you'll need it.
but i guess something is better than nothing.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com