Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping a choir in a high school auditorium  (Read 2140 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Taping a choir in a high school auditorium
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
The choir consists of about 25 7th and 8th graders set up on tiered risers in a semi circle with a piano accompaniment stage left. I don't know if I can setup onstage, but if so, how high up, how close, what mics and what config. I'm guessing at least 8 feet high with LD's in blumein or spaced omnis? Thanks.

Offline ts

Re: Taping a choir in a high school auditorium
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »
any rehearsals?

they already had them and last night was the christmas concert and i thought this should have been taped. i'm thinking down the road for next time.

auditorium, choir onstage, curtains wide open.

lots of space onstage. choir centered.

no surfaces/walls around them. pretty basic setup.

my next move was to ask if they would like it recorded next time and then explain to them what would be involved, specifically mic placement and if that would cause any issues. only issue i can see would be the audience and mic placement interfering with photos.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:50:43 PM by ts »

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »
any rehearsals?

they already had them and last night was the christmas concert and i thought this should have been taped. i'm thinking down the road for next time.

I added some comment, above, in post edit.

sorry moke, i added response to your additional questions above. would love to hear your thoughts on this. i've been getting some ideas in this thread: http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,114079.0.html. but i'm not sure if choir and band taping require the same mics/placement.

Offline ts

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:45:27 PM »
Placement and patterning can run to a wide variance, depending on what you want to capture, and what you want to leave behind.
What you suggest in the more open stereo patterns (less directional; more whole room encompassing) will work fine, if the room sounds nice.
The cardioid stereo patterns will work very well if you want to have the room, or audience, attenuated, and focus on the music.
I find myself using directional stereo patterns more and more, because I don't necessarily want to capture audience noises, paper programs rattling, or air conditioning / heating systems.
The cardioid stereo patterns still capture plenty of ambient information, and produce very nice results.
Its hard to pin-point an answer for you, as every circumstance is going to be different; even same ensemble, same hall, can sound different, depending on their stage presence, size of audience, etc.

thanks mike. i think i'll try the cards. your comment about the program checkers, those who insist on counting the remaining songs till the end, is definitely worth cutting out.

happy holidays,

tony

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com