Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG Blue Line: Question about the MK90/3-H98 cable.  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
AKG Blue Line: Question about the MK90/3-H98 cable.
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
I've put a lot of thought into my next gear upgrade and have more or less settled on the AKG blue line caps (most likely ck91s).

Due to the type of recordings I make, the only way I can run these mics really is if I separate the caps from the SE 300 B "body". I realize that I could wire up my own so-called "active" cables, but I don't want to go that route because then I would have to hard wire the cable to the caps, and I want to be able to swap the caps out when needed.

My question is this. I have two Audio Technica 8531 power modules laying around collecting dust. If I took two of the MK90/3-H98 cables (pictured below), chopped off the "bayonet" connector at one end, and soldered on female mini-XLR connectors in place of them, could I create a set-up that would avoid using the SE 300 B altogether? I know for sure that the FET on the ck9x series is located in the capsule, so there are no electronics in the cable to worry about. The problem is the wiring scheme: is it safe to assume that there are three wires (should be red, yellow, and shield) running through the AKG cable?

Thanks for reading my rambling, and for any replies to this strange question...
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Formerly Phan2001
Re: AKG Blue Line: Question about the MK90/3-H98 cable.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 03:42:23 PM »
This might go better in the cable section.

Im pretty sure you can not do what you are suggesting. I think the body actually steps down the voltage, so if this is a 48v power source you will fry the caps without the body in the middle. Im pretty sure the only way to get the body out of the chain is to wire them to a battery box, something ~9v. 
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline Sunday Driver

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 11:23:15 PM »
Thanks for your reply- I appreciate it.

I understand that the SE 300 B "body" works as a voltage regulator. After some searching here at TS though, I also found that the AT 8531 power modules can do the same thing, as noted here from user "poorlyconditioned": http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,57299.msg752918.html#msg752918
This makes sense, as the power modules (without batteries) work as voltage regulators for many Audio Technica mics. The only real issue is that the 8531 boxes use very cheap transformers, while the SE 300 body is supposdly "transformerless".

So I'm mainly concerned with the contents of the cable.

And yes, it is to my understanding that you can use straight supply voltage with a 3-wire battery box- but the CK-9x recordings I listened to with these were pretty bad...harsh sibilants...slight distortion...
My Tapes

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 12:51:02 PM »
am i understanding this right?
you basically want to homebrew a cable but keep the end that hooks to the cap?

imo you would be better off just doing a complete homebrew cable if thats the case because the akg cable tends to get kinks and stop working
for the cost of the cables simply to have the cap connector i wouldn't think is worth it
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Sunday Driver

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 02:50:56 PM »
am i understanding this right?
you basically want to homebrew a cable but keep the end that hooks to the cap?

Yes, exactly.

imo you would be better off just doing a complete homebrew cable if thats the case because the akg cable tends to get kinks and stop working
for the cost of the cables simply to have the cap connector i wouldn't think is worth it

OK, thanks...although I'll probably pass this up then as I don't really want to shrink wrap anything to the capsules. Thanks though.
My Tapes

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.045 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com