Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: measurements for different length Vark bars  (Read 2264 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
measurements for different length Vark bars
« on: January 07, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »
I'm going to try to make some vark bars. Got my hands on the materials, black acetal, but need some numbers.

The vark bar I have that I purchased somewhere online, measures a tad over 5 inches. Would that be considered Din a?

I'm going to cut some bars for din, ortf and maybe nos. In inches these measurements are (according to DPA Microphone University):

din = 7.874

ortf = 6.692

nos = 11.810

dina = ????

I suppose I could cut one nos length bar and drill it full of holes, but would rather not.

Thanks,

ts

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
Re: measurements for different length Vark bars
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 12:10:19 PM »
how long would depend on your mics
some caps are a little longer/shorter
some have a larger "body" behind the cap

what i would do is get 2 rulers
put one by the cap for the correct distance/angle
put the other by the "body"/cable where the bar will be and see what that measures
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ts

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 12:33:58 PM »
how long would depend on your mics
some caps are a little longer/shorter
some have a larger "body" behind the cap

what i would do is get 2 rulers
put one by the cap for the correct distance/angle
put the other by the "body"/cable where the bar will be and see what that measures

Good point. Forgot about that. These bars will be for DPA 4023's for an active config. The meaurements I posted from the DPA site were using 4011's as reference. :hmmm:

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 12:35:10 PM »
As willndmb mentions, the proper spacing depends on the mics / caps used.  For most people's purposes, the Vark bars offer "close enough" spacing using it's fixed-location holes, since the actual spacing of the caps may vary depending on the mics used.  For ORTF / DIN / DINA, you may want to consider <a> using a bar long enough to accommodate all three, and <b> drilling a continuous slot, instead of individual holes, which would allow the user to slide the mic clips anywhere along the range of 0cm - 20cm spread.  The user could then mark their regulary used locations (and angles) with a marker or notch for easy setup.  $0.02
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 12:58:19 PM »
As willndmb mentions, the proper spacing depends on the mics / caps used.  For most people's purposes, the Vark bars offer "close enough" spacing using it's fixed-location holes, since the actual spacing of the caps may vary depending on the mics used.  For ORTF / DIN / DINA, you may want to consider <a> using a bar long enough to accommodate all three, and <b> drilling a continuous slot, instead of individual holes, which would allow the user to slide the mic clips anywhere along the range of 0cm - 20cm spread.  The user could then mark their regulary used locations (and angles) with a marker or notch for easy setup.  $0.02

I like the slot idea. For now I'm just trying to get a wider spread than what my current standard Vark bar offers, which is under 5 inches. A 20cm spread is just under 8 inches so I see where all 3 popular patterns could be covered with one 20cm slotted bar.

So my original question, for 4023's what does a dina spread measure out at?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 01:47:17 PM »

well, the DINa stereo configuration is a slight modification to the DIN stereo configuration.
While the DIN "standard" is 20cm at 90 degrees and calls for cardiod microphones, the DINa "standard" is 17cm at 90 degrees, and calls for hypercardiod mics.  So, if you were to follow the DINa "standard" exactly, you can't use your 4023's because those are cards and not hypers.  but the short answer is 17 cm, 90 degrees.

Offline ts

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 02:11:08 PM »

well, the DINa stereo configuration is a slight modification to the DIN stereo configuration.
While the DIN "standard" is 20cm at 90 degrees and calls for cardiod microphones, the DINa "standard" is 17cm at 90 degrees, and calls for hypercardiod mics.  So, if you were to follow the DINa "standard" exactly, you can't use your 4023's because those are cards and not hypers.  but the short answer is 17 cm, 90 degrees.

I thought that was the story, just could'nt remember. So on the standard sized vark bar with my 4023's at 90% with the clips I use the spread I'm getting is pretty close to 17cm's with a 90% angle. Meaning the standard vark bar with 4023's is pretty close to a DINa and really stretching it for an ORTF bar.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:57:19 AM by ts »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com