Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

MD -> PC

(1/2) > >>

Bassistreid:
Hey

I have a question. How do you transfer a mindisc to a computer? A USB link, I'm guessing, but if you don't have one, can you just go and buy a USB link at a store and use that, I mean, would that work? Does the brand of the MD recorder matter at all?

Anyway, that's one of my questions. The other is: when tranfering MD -> PC, is the media in WAV format?

Thanks for any help...

sexymexi:
been asked many man of times...  no you can't transfer via usb unfortunatly, i figured there would be a hack for it, but i havn't seen one. to learn more about MD stuff check http://www.minidisc.org  i've run analog in's for transfering from MD > PC via the mini mic input.  with decent results.  the only way is to have a home deck that has digital outputs, and get a digital soundcard and transfer that way..  good luck.  

matt

mattb:
Yep it's true. No USB upload (maybe with some newer products coming out soon but I wouldn't count on it).

The answer to your other question is the audio is on the MD in a format called ATRAC which is like a high bitrate mp3. Since you are just re-recording the contents when you "transfer" from md, the resulting format is whatever you choose. Most commonly that's 16 bit 44.1k wav and that's what I'd recommend using.

M@

jimmc:
Another (yet analog) option for transfering from MD is to get a stand along CD burner, ie. Philips CDR-765, 775. That is what I was using. I think you can pick one up for around $100-$150 or so on ebay. Also any of the other brands will work as well.

After you burn 1x from MD > Philips CDR, you can upload the files, as .wav, to you PC using EAC, then a program such as cdwav to mark the tracks.

Now that I just picked up a JB3 I no longer have to worry about analog transfers. thank god.
Hope this helps some,
jimmc

firmdragon:
hmm i was always under the impression that md is 44.1khz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version