Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 414 mounting suggestions  (Read 4585 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
AKG 414 mounting suggestions
« on: March 10, 2010, 05:27:46 PM »
hello all...
ready to fly the new 414's and im wondering how to run them vertically?  i can get them in place on the swivel bar, but i cant seem to arrange them for a blumlein or a m/s set up.  i have a few bands that will let me run on stage so im anxious to try every angle on these that i can...

thanks!
chris

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Re: AKG 414 mounting suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 06:20:51 PM »
i always used two of those windtech clamps.  you can adjust the spacing as necessary and they keep the mics close to the stand.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
Yes, I think the best answer is "2 windtech clamps".

I have a homemade vertical bar... basically a piece of flat iron stock bent into a big L shape.  At the bottom of the L I drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole for top of mic stand adapter.  I drilled a pair of 3/8" holes appropriately spaced to mount the shock mounts to.  The advantage of this ugly looking rig is that it puts the center of gravity over the centerline of the stand.  The main reason I made this was because I had everything in hand, and I couldn't run downtown and buy a second windtech clamp.

Ted (tgakidis) made a vertical bar with some 3/8" ID aluminum tubing and some ready-rod epoxied together.  There are probably some pictures somewhere under "Rig Pictures" perhaps going back a year.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:24:43 PM »
here's the only only shots I could find of my old 414s using a Blumlein configuration

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 02:54:33 PM »
thanks for the tips/photos...my issue seems to be having the center of gravity centered over the stand, and not off to the side...i can kinda get it there with a posi lock clutch and the shure vert bar, but that adds some serious top end tonnage to the stand...wish someone would sell some custom blumlein mounts for my set up

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:34 PM »
I'm not familiar with the 414s and their mounts but if it's similar to the ADK A51s, you can get them closer to the stand if you rotate the shock mount in the windtech.

http://circulatemusic.home.telepath.com/P1100197rot.jpg

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 04:55:37 PM »
I'm not familiar with the 414s and their mounts but if it's similar to the ADK A51s, you can get them closer to the stand if you rotate the shock mount in the windtech.

http://circulatemusic.home.telepath.com/P1100197rot.jpg
looks solid..although for some odd reason those windtechs look like potential for failure...and i have no evidence to prove that theory..id wager those adk's weigh a bit more than the 414's so perhaps im safe with going that route. 

/edit to add:
...and is it wiser to put mics above the stand instead of next to it?  is there any audible interference?  wish i had a nephew in high school metal shop right now..id commission him on this one..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:59:50 PM by ellaguru »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 05:20:44 PM »
I've never noticed any interference with the mics rotated but I always have the stand behind, not beside, the mics when recording. So far it's been just nature sounds except for taking that setup to the nearest railroad tracks to get trains as they pass. Won't use it for music for another week or so where it won't be my primary rig. I'll do some critical listening after that show and hope I can't tell any difference between the two rigs.

For stability, on top of the stand makes for a more stable setup. I need a larger base as this small desktop stand base is less than ideal even with the extension at it's lowest height. I have mounted the mics like this on a regular light/mic stand and when the mics are postioned directly above one leg it's very stable and I wouldn't worry about it even in a crowd.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 09:42:04 PM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 08:35:40 PM »
I knew I had seen some pics of 414s mounted with windtech clamps around here somewhere. It's where I got the idea to rotate the shock moounts closer to the stand rather than extending them straight out away from it. Found them - http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=51606.msg1068595#msg1068595

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:01 PM »
looks solid..although for some odd reason those windtechs look like potential for failure...and i have no evidence to prove that theory..id wager those adk's weigh a bit more than the 414's so perhaps im safe with going that route. 

I've used nothing but those Windtech clamps when I've run my 414's coincident and haven't ever had them fail.  Granted, I'm only one person but I think you're pretty safe with them.  You could always wire a safety cable through the mounts and the stand/bar or wrap some gaffers tape around them if it will help you breathe easier.  My .02.

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
Yes, I think the best answer is "2 windtech clamps".

I have a homemade vertical bar... basically a piece of flat iron stock bent into a big L shape.  At the bottom of the L I drilled and tapped a 3/8-16 hole for top of mic stand adapter.  I drilled a pair of 3/8" holes appropriately spaced to mount the shock mounts to.  The advantage of this ugly looking rig is that it puts the center of gravity over the centerline of the stand.  The main reason I made this was because I had everything in hand, and I couldn't run downtown and buy a second windtech clamp.

Ted (tgakidis) made a vertical bar with some 3/8" ID aluminum tubing and some ready-rod epoxied together.  There are probably some pictures somewhere under "Rig Pictures" perhaps going back a year.

Here is my retail page for my coincident bar. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=129323.0

I have also used the 2 wintech clamps but also modified one of my bars to be used with a single windtech clamps, kind of the best of both worlds.  Look at the end of the thread for the new design http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=110444.0
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:07:36 PM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics:
Schoeps: CMC6 x 4, CMC1K x 2, KC 5G x 2, MK4,MK4V,MK41,MK21,MK22,MK8 x 2
Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+
Telefunken: TF-11 x 2, ELA M 260 x 4, M960FS x 2, TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2, M60,TK60 x2
AKG: c426b, AKG c34, nBob Actives>PFA x4, CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2
AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres:
Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs:
Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com