Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dat recorder problem  (Read 3196 times)

Offline tyler1234

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
dat recorder problem
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »
have not used my recorder in a couple of years and decided to  the other nite. had mics going in to power supply and that going in to recorder. so when i  hit record a message came up and said unload. does that mean a problem would be with the tape or recorder. i tried it a few times but kept shutting off and giving me a unload message. any suggestions would be apreciated.

Offline LEDZEPZOSO

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: dat recorder problem
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 06:10:23 PM »
Sounds like a broken gear. $150-200 for repairs. So in the long run cheaper to buy a R-09 or similar.

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 06:42:43 PM »
i probably will make that move, but got home and tested it by talking into it and it seems to work,the only difference from taping before is that i got a new power supply. could that have anything to do with it.

Offline jlykos

• Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 07:05:15 PM »
Is it a D7 / D8?  If so, it's a sign that the heads are going on it.  Mine did that for a couple days before it finally died.  Power supply doesn't have much to do with it.  Pro Digital wanted $150 for a repair but I said screw it and finally moved over to a digital recorder.  I can't believe how much I immediately started saving on DAT tapes.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 07:11:36 PM »
sony pcm m1. i guess my question is why  when i went to record jeff beck  this weekend it failed on me and  when i record at home it seems to work good.

Offline deadhoarse

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »
sony pcm m1. i guess my question is why  when i went to record jeff beck  this weekend it failed on me and  when i record at home it seems to work good.

I had the same exact problem with my pcm-m1. It was a cracked plastic wheel. I can't say why it worked when you got home...maybe the plastic teeth on the wheel are worn down and don't catch all the time? Regardless, I wouldn't trust it in a live setting anymore.

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 07:28:58 PM »
When you refer to a new power supply, are you talking about power for your mics (i.e. phantopm power supply or a mic battery box)?  If so, this should have no bearing on the functionality of the deck as you described.  My experience with SOny portable DATs is with D7/D8, but often I had problems like this if a tape misloaded - usually the deck would power off by itself, and then power back up and unload.  Often when this occurred it came along with a tape that was partially eaten by the deck.  Misloads could also happen to a lesser severity by the deck powering down and then up but the tape seemingly loaded, only to find out later that despite the deck rolling and the level meter going, the tape is blank.  The standard advice was to always load a tape with the screen light on - this way if it misloaded and subsequently powered down and then back up and you didn't notice it, the light would have turned itself off in the process and you should notice this.  Turn on the light and load a tape and of the light is still on,t he tape should be properly loaded.

Since you were able to subsequently use the deck without problems, I'm inclined to not quite yet buy into the doom and gloom prognosis.  Try it a bunch more times at home or other less critical setting and see if it continues to work fine.  If so, I'd say you either had a bad tape or the deck just didn't load properly.  Did you unpack the tape before using it (i.e. FF all the way to the end and then RR back to the beginning)?  I typically do this in my R500 home deck so I don't put the wear and tear on the portable, and then insert this unpacked tape (with deck light on) into my portable.  If it loads up fine then turn off the light and you should be good to go.

http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline tyler1234

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »
thanks dgale for some input but i dont think its a bad tape because id tried recording on it when i got home and worked fine withot taking the dat tape out but u could be right that it wasnt loaded right. maybe it was not wound all the way back or just stuck.  if  and when i buy a digital recorder would u suggest  sony m10 or r09.

Offline jlykos

• Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »
if  and when i buy a digital recorder would u suggest  sony m10 or r09.

They're both good units; look in the Recording Gear forum for some pointers.  This has been discussed ad nauseum over there.  If you are currently using a Sony and like the feel and layout of your M1, you may find the M10 more comfortable.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 03:17:21 AM »
Sounds like condensation to me.

A DAT machine needs to be warm and settled.

So, when I used DAT years ago - when I took it into the recording venue the DAT machines were always the first to be plugged in and switched on.  This way they were warming up and drying out while I was setting up all the other equipment and the microphones.  I virtually never had a dew problem with a DAT because I always did this.

At home they were in there normal environment and had not suddenly been moved from one environment to another.

It's weird talking about DAT as an antique format - I still remember when it was exciting and brand new.  ::)  ;D

Offline sparkey

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 05:34:38 AM »
M1's are notorious for the loading...loading...loading message.  Try fresh batteries and repack the tape, it could've been not quite wound tight.
#Generalstrike for president in 2024

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com