Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tinybox: which mics make a good match?  (Read 9120 times)

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Tinybox: which mics make a good match?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2011, 05:24:46 AM »
Could you clarify.....is this the mic caps>cable>mic body>tinybox
or is it
mic caps>cable>tiny box     no mic bodies  ? 

It can be set either way.
Are there any advantages (sonically or otherwise) including the mic bodies in the chain? No bodies is obviously easier from a stealth point of view, and cheaper too, provided you can get hold of individual caps.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 06:05:53 AM »
Sunjan,

Do you know that the Line Audio CM3 got a very positive review by Ljudtekniska Sällskapet?

Roger

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 06:11:26 AM »
Nicegrin, canu give some info on your miniplug mce 400s. Can these be run off the tinybox?

That is interesting. I was under the impression that there are some electronics inside the XLR. I guess you could replicate them somewhere if you could figure out what was going on in there.

I may have to look into the CK930's if you can just buy the caps. I'd like to have a card setup for stealth.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 10:00:37 AM »
Could you clarify.....is this the mic caps>cable>mic body>tinybox
or is it
mic caps>cable>tiny box     no mic bodies  ? 

It can be set either way.
Are there any advantages (sonically or otherwise) including the mic bodies in the chain?

No idea really, sorry.

I may have to look into the CK930's if you can just buy the caps. I'd like to have a card setup for stealth.

I encourage everyone interested to pester beyerdynamic about it. I got shot down, but if enough people bitch about it maybe they will do it. Worth a try at any rate.  :-\
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 02:51:41 PM »
Phantom Power: +16V supplied across 1.65KΩ resistors or +12V supplied across 680Ω resistors, 14mA maximum current per microphone

Would a 600Ω output mic would match well with the 12V version, assuming its powering requirements are met?

It should work OK, the input impedance of the P12 version is typical of mic preamps, although I prefer higher as with the 16V version.  Note that for condenser mics, you generally do *not* want to match impedance, you mostly just lose level that way.  Also note that the input impedance of the P12 version is not 680, it is more like 1.2K.

Would the 16V version be a better match, or not really make a difference?  The voltage isn't an issue with my mics as they operate on 9-48V.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline sunjan

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2011, 04:56:11 PM »
audBall, are you talking about running your Nak cm1000 with Tinybox? Just trying to follow the conversation. Given that they accept 9V, couldn't you also power them with a Church pre, or are there issues preventing that?

Roger, thanks for the headsup. Is the review avaialble online anywhere, or just in print (Musik & Ljudteknik)?

BTW, dropped a line to Beyer in Germany, but they wouldn't talk to me, just referred me to my local distributor.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2011, 05:38:29 PM »
The 1000's are condensers and accept phantom powering.  They probably could run off Church pre as their original power supplies used a 9V battery.  Since they've been modified to accept phantom power, I'd like to stay in that realm. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
audBall, are you talking about running your Nak cm1000 with Tinybox? Just trying to follow the conversation. Given that they accept 9V, couldn't you also power them with a Church pre, or are there issues preventing that?

Roger, thanks for the headsup. Is the review avaialble online anywhere, or just in print (Musik & Ljudteknik)?

BTW, dropped a line to Beyer in Germany, but they wouldn't talk to me, just referred me to my local distributor.

I actually got in touch with Beyerdynamic in the same matter, to buy caps for the ck9X0-series. It was a very messy experience.
I actually managed to get a good price for the caps but when they arrived it turned out to be a mixup from Beyerdynamic and they sent me
the MC caps instead of the CK caps (even though I asked for the CKs and the invoice was for the CKs!).
I addressed the problem and sent the capsules back hoping to just have them replaced with the CK version I originally ordered. When they realized the mistake however they also quoted me a new price for the caps (almost twice as much as for the MC caps) and the price was so close to the price for a complete CK9X0 set with bodies, cables etc. so I decided to cancel the order and got a full refund. I´d say that trying to find cheap caps for this series is a dead end. Better to buy a complete set instead!

/Nicegrin

Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline Roger Gustavsson

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2011, 05:35:54 AM »

Just in print in Musik & Ljudteknik, issue 3/2010. Most swedish libaries use ta have that magazine. Other microphones in the test, DPA 5090, Sennheise MKH20, Sennheiser MKH8020 and Earthworks QTC1. Eleven A4 pages in all.

Roger

Offline sunjan

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2011, 02:57:02 PM »
Just for fun, I wrote to Beyerdynamic in Germany and a few retailers in different countries, just to compare.

Since they wouldn't ship abroad, I asked for a hypotethic price quote assuming I lived in the country.
For one single CK930 capsule, Germany quoted me EUR 184.87 + 19% sales tax = US $294. The sales rep there is called Thomas Gentner.
For the same item, a retailer in Singapore (Peak Fusion) quoted me SGD 599 incl sales tax = US $465 ::)
I'm still waiting for replies from the US retailers...

So, at least those living in Germany could get this "capsule rig" together at a reasonable price. Maybe there's even a way to recoup the sales tax if you find an EU retailer willing to ship overseas?

As a comparison, the kit (capsule + cable + remote pre + clamp) can be found for US $669:
http://sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/microphones/960-beyerdynamic-ck-930-38q-set.html

For those interested in digging further, the part number for the capsule is 906913.

Offline nicegrin

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
Sad to say but seems that beyerdynamic is AGAIN screwing this up! The price and the serial number you refer to Sunjan is NOT for the complete CK930 capsule (which concists of 3 parts (capsule + grid tube + attenuator).
The correct price and serial number for the complete capsule is:

serial number 490806 and the price is euro 294,12 (without tax!) and euro 350.0 WITH tax.

The info + price you got is for the MC capsule not the CK!

so for about $470 you can get one capsule from Beyerdynamic!  Since that is about 70% of the price for a complete set with capsules+cables+bodies+mount I don´t think it´s such a great deal anymore...

ADD: if you want matched capsules the matching cost is + 20% so about $565 per capsule!

/Nicegrin

Just for fun, I wrote to Beyerdynamic in Germany and a few retailers in different countries, just to compare.

Since they wouldn't ship abroad, I asked for a hypotethic price quote assuming I lived in the country.
For one single CK930 capsule, Germany quoted me EUR 184.87 + 19% sales tax = US $294. The sales rep there is called Thomas Gentner.
For the same item, a retailer in Singapore (Peak Fusion) quoted me SGD 599 incl sales tax = US $465 ::)
I'm still waiting for replies from the US retailers...

So, at least those living in Germany could get this "capsule rig" together at a reasonable price. Maybe there's even a way to recoup the sales tax if you find an EU retailer willing to ship overseas?

As a comparison, the kit (capsule + cable + remote pre + clamp) can be found for US $669:
http://sweetwaveaudio.com/sales/microphones/960-beyerdynamic-ck-930-38q-set.html

For those interested in digging further, the part number for the capsule is 906913.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 07:31:13 AM by nicegrin »
Toy Box:

MICS:

Omnis:  6xNevaton MCE400s, Countryman b3s (modded), MM HLSOs (4.7K mod), Aevox in ear MK2s, CA-11s
Cards:   Schoeps MK4s with Schoeps CMRS, Milab VM-44 Links, SP CMC-8,  AT853, Sennheiser MKE 104, MM HLSC-1s, ECM-717
Hypers: AKG CK93s (modded), SP CMC-8, AT853, Audix 1280s (Church actives).

INBETWEEN: Naiant Tinybox (CMR mod), Naiant Tinybox (p48 mod), Naiant PFA, CA-9100, CA Ugly, Denecke PS-2 mini, MM-MBM, MM-CBM, SP SPSB-8, custom nuetrik XLR to TRS cables, 5 pin to 5 pin extension cable. 

DECKS: A10, M10, R05, Tascam DR-05, R09-HR , MT2, Sharp MS-H702, MZ-R 70.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2011, 11:15:54 PM »
What a ripoff
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline ninjadave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Timing and cash flow...
    • Ninja's ROIO's
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 08:57:51 PM »
can the MILABs VM44 Links be run the same way as the Beyer CK930's with new version of the tinybox and taking out the bodies in the chain with a special cable? they will run with min 12v phantom no? seems everyone raves about these mics as well but would like a low profile solution with no bodies (if so, would be a tough decision whether to go with Beyers or Milabs, although Beyers are a little shorter and might sit a little better in my Kangol).

also, someone asked but i did not see an answer, NICEGRIN has a modded MCE400's with miniplug (without bodies i presume). that is a very interesting mod as well i would be intersted in as these omnis are also highly regarded (and more directional than most omnis) even with the minor faults they have (match issues and such i've read about). thanks for any input, i'm so trying to find an upgrade solution to CA-14s and those types of mics but one that i can stealth with without totally crushing my bank account. thanks again for any input.
Mics = Milab VM-44 Links [c] ~ AT853 [c,o] 
Preamp/BB = Naiant IPA (v1) ~ CA-UGLY [+20db]
Recorders = Marantz PMD661 (Oade CM) ~ Sony PCM-A10
Playback = Sony MDR-7506 ~ Rokit 5's

http://ninjasroio.tripod.com/mainpage.html  [needs updated badly]

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com