Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 1st m/s recording planned .. any tips?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
1st m/s recording planned .. any tips?
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:17:44 PM »
hey there...

going to be running my 414's m/s for the 1st time on this sat.  show is inside a venue that ive taped in a bunch.  with m/s, how crucial is DFC for my recording position? the safest spot is left of center, while the sweet spot is kinda in traffic flow central, although next to a ceiling support pole which has been a good pedestrian blocker.

id wager, in this situation, that cardioid for the 'm' is the best bet.

thanks
chris

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
Re: 1st m/s recording planned .. any tips?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »
hey there...

going to be running my 414's m/s for the 1st time on this sat.  show is inside a venue that ive taped in a bunch.  with m/s, how crucial is DFC for my recording position? the safest spot is left of center, while the sweet spot is kinda in traffic flow central, although next to a ceiling support pole which has been a good pedestrian blocker.

how far left of center?

I've found if you decode the channels independently in post, then it doesn't matter any more then a normal pair, but it sure helps to be centered if you are doing the same decoding settings on one side versus the other (and doing it simultaneously while you listen to the image).

id wager, in this situation, that cardioid for the 'm' is the best bet.

cards are the standard mid. Only time I'd deviate from that is in a really bad sounding room (hyper) or in the impact zone at a festival which has a good PA (subcard or fig 8 for adjustable blumlein).

Best of luck, just double check your angles and config before starting.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.099 seconds with 26 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com