Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Automatic matrixing / looking for shows with many sources available  (Read 7177 times)

Offline Wiesel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my diploma thesis in computer science which is about automatic audio track alignment, time drift corrections and everything you need to perfectly line up recordings from different sources that where made at the same time and at the same place. I have developed (but far from finished) a software where you put a few tracks in, press a button, and it automatically recognizes matching/overlapping points in different audio tracks and aligns them accordingly (no more messing around in Sony Vegas ;) ). What I'd like to ask you now:

Can you think of any shows with many sources available (at least 4), that are freely available on the internet? Preferably archive.org or any other site where I can get them without much hassle. It doesn't matter where they are sourced from, be it cell phones, good mic/recorder combos or the soundboard - the more different the sources are, the better.

I already have a few test cases from my own live recordings collection, but I thought you were the right people and it would be nice if you could recommend me some more :)

Thanks!

ps: Does anyone happen to know a website like the Live Music Archive, but for speeches (e.g. Obama inauguration)?

kirk97132

Re: Automatic matrixing / looking for shows with many sources available
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 08:15:11 AM »
intriguing idea.  Can a program like this align different recordings IE: a vocal track, a snare drum track, kick drum track, bass guitar and an electric guitar track?

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
No that's not possible - there must be more or less "the same" content in all of the tracks for the program to detect sync points (e.g. PA sound on audience recordings).

Offline pdastoor

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 08:25:14 AM »
i would love to try this software, would make my life much easier

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 08:29:51 AM »
if you want some audio to test:

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-browse.php?search=%22iron+maiden%22&cat=0&searchscope=

there are tons of multiple iron maiden sources there, just grab some. I would search for sydney 2011 iron maiden, there are atleast 5+ sources

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:39:35 AM »
Let me know when/if this software becomes available please!
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:42:46 AM »
Unfortunately it will still take some months until I will be ready to distribute something for you to play with. It's currently just a development prototype which in some cases works perfectly, and in some not at all. That's the reason I need more shows with different sources available to test and eventually figure out what the reason is.

thanks for the maiden hint, looks promising!

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
There are 6 sources for this North Miss. Allstars show:

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=520033

Links to the LMA pages are at the bottom.

If you go to db.etree.org and click on each year, you can see quite a few shows with multiple sources (and the links to the LMA pages).  I've kept it up pretty well for the past few years.

http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/artist_key/374

If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

runonce

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:27:26 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm currently working on my diploma thesis in computer science which is about automatic audio track alignment, time drift corrections and everything you need to perfectly line up recordings from different sources that where made at the same time and at the same place. I have developed (but far from finished) a software where you put a few tracks in, press a button, and it automatically recognizes matching/overlapping points in different audio tracks and aligns them accordingly (no more messing around in Sony Vegas ;) ). What I'd like to ask you now:

Can you think of any shows with many sources available (at least 4), that are freely available on the internet? Preferably archive.org or any other site where I can get them without much hassle. It doesn't matter where they are sourced from, be it cell phones, good mic/recorder combos or the soundboard - the more different the sources are, the better.

I already have a few test cases from my own live recordings collection, but I thought you were the right people and it would be nice if you could recommend me some more :)

Thanks!

ps: Does anyone happen to know a website like the Live Music Archive, but for speeches (e.g. Obama inauguration)?

Is this something that you might publish under an open source style license...?

Also curious if the software you are developing would be a stand alone editor - or work as a plug in with some of the common editors?
Just curious as I think you'd need it to do a few other things besides time sync...to make it useful beyond your proof of concept.

Offline Wiesel

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 11:16:36 AM »
There are 6 sources for this North Miss. Allstars show

thanks, much appreciated!

Is this something that you might publish under an open source style license...?

Also curious if the software you are developing would be a stand alone editor - or work as a plug in with some of the common editors?
Just curious as I think you'd need it to do a few other things besides time sync...to make it useful beyond your proof of concept.

At first I wanted to implement it as a plugin to work with various editors but unfortunately the only widespread interface, VST, is limited to always process a single track. Therefore I developed a custom editor from scratch so I can work on the algorithms - but this is just for the proof of concept and to be honest, I have no idea yet if, and what this is going to result in. All I can say is that Taperssection gave me the inspiration to this idea some years ago, and under the assumption that it works out as planned and there'll be a useable result (which isn't sure at all and just speculation yet), I'll make a free software available - but I also have to admit that I think this is something I could make a few bucks with, so I do not think I'll put it under an open source license.

What do you think needs to be adressed besides time sync? I can think of phase/interference issues, but you can always manually adjust it between the automatic time alignment and the final render. The initial idea was to replace the annoying sync job that I was doing with Sony Vegas, especially if the time drift between the recordings isn't linear and you have to cut the tracks into pieces and stretch/shrink/align them one by one.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
If a small bit of user control is ever desired, your final design could include a "tone" control for each of the sources, so the user could equalize each source......pre-matrix.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 02:12:41 PM »
I have developed (but far from finished) a software where you put a few tracks in, press a button, and it automatically recognizes matching/overlapping points in different audio tracks and aligns them accordingly (no more messing around in Sony Vegas ;) ).

Any idea how this compares to the one available in Izotope's RX?
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline pdastoor

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 02:48:16 PM »
you'll probably add it but a setting where you can adjust volume on each track instead of amplifying all sources at a time. and a utility to split tracks without sbe errors

Offline keytohwy

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 06:26:46 PM »
Singular software's PluralEyes and DualEyes already offers this, no?

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2011, 06:48:26 PM »
Singular software's PluralEyes and DualEyes already offers this, no?

Apparently.  Have you tried either?  There's a free trial.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com