Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 3 Zigma Chi (ADK Custom Shop) SD mics  (Read 18201 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: 3 Zigma Chi (ADK Custom Shop) SD mics
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 07:52:43 AM »
Ok...I was one of the Downloaders...But I concur with the first two evaluations...and say to my ears source one is smooth sounding...source two is tight and crisp...the difference is not to put down either...it's like playing two fine broken in Acoustic guitars...a Gibson D50 and then a Martin D18 both get the job done in fine fashion but differently...

Bryonsos....Next time you see Walstib grab my windtech and AKG stereo bar...that way you have two identical clamp-stereo bars to mount one normally but below and one above but upside down to get the microphones the exact distance front to back and with in a couple of inches in the vertical plane...you can hang on to them til the shootout is done

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
^^ I've also had luck using my Manfrotto arm and just putting one set up and one set down using two rapid adapters.  The Manfrotto arm has a pretty long end for doing so. 

If that isn't available, two windtechs would definitely get the job done in the same way.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 09:33:44 AM »
Bryonsos....Next time you see Walstib grab my windtech and AKG stereo bar...that way you have two identical clamp-stereo bars to mount one normally but below and one above but upside down to get the microphones the exact distance front to back and with in a couple of inches in the vertical plane...you can hang on to them til the shootout is done

I have one of these bad boys, if it will help:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/on-stage-stands-my700-mic-bar/452073000000000?src=3WWRWXGB&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CPuPwP2k7q8CFQYKKgode3AX7g

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 10:03:26 AM »
Lots of toys in the box.  I'll try to give this a listen tonight.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
Ok...I was one of the Downloaders...But I concur with the first two evaluations...and say to my ears source one is smooth sounding...source two is tight and crisp...the difference is not to put down either...it's like playing two fine broken in Acoustic guitars...a Gibson D50 and then a Martin D18 both get the job done in fine fashion but differently...

I like the D50 vs D18 analogy! Like I said before, I'm very happy with both pulls, but they are different upon critical listening. I have a 2nd WindTech (thanks Terry) but I'd need that 2nd stereo bar to do things perfectly, I'll grab that off Walstib62 for the next round. I really thought that everything would be equal enough for the comp, but some spaces are less forgiving of placement. Having said that, the "closeness" isn't the main difference I hear. Here are my thoughts without revealing yet:

If you flip between sources, it does take some concentration before the differences reveal themselves.

I hear a crispness in the highs around 2-3k in source 1 that 2 has, but not as pronounced. I found the vocal clarity to benefit from this.

Both have nice bass, plenty of detail, but source 2 has superior bass overall that lends itself to the overall smoothness or tightness or whatever that gives a pleasant fullness that I think we're all hearing. YMMV
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2012, 02:16:14 PM »
[displays personal bias]

Maybe it's more like a Taylor 514.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »
A second song (a) added that has less crowd interference. I put both 24/48 flacs and mp3s this time.

http://www.mediafire.com/#5e7q7vvle5925
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline alpine85

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2012, 03:01:38 PM »
Both sources are nice.

I prefer source 2 (at least on my near-field monitors, I do)

Source 2 has a fatter, rounder bass, while source 1 has a tighter, punchier bass

I heard more detail in the cymbals around the 5 minute mark on source 2, and more detail in that "plucky" sound around 6 min. 

The 2-3 kHz bump in source 1 that you mention comes across to me as more sibilance, but not necessarily more detail in the vocals.

(replying to the first pair of tracks here.. I see you have added a second pair which I'll give a listen to later on... )
MICS: AKG CK-1/CK-63/CK-8/CK-22 --> AKG 460/JW460/JW452
CABLES: GAKcables and Mogami
PRES: Apogee Mini-Me, SD USBPre-2, Busman UA-5
RECORDERS: Oade R-44, Tascam DR-100-MKII, JB3

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 09:14:08 AM »
OK, the unveiling.

Source 1 = 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (transformer) cards
Source 2 = AKG C461B

It's no surprise that everybody identified the signature fat bottom of the AKGs. It's also not a big shock that they were preferred overall, I would characterize them as premium mics, and the 3Zs as either mid or high level mics. For the successor to the 460, the 480, you can get a single body and 2 caps for about the same price as this complete SD stereo set (matched) of 3Zs. I think the 3Zs hold their own nicely, and think that they could be ideal for someone looking for an upgrade from an entry level rig. The flexibility of having either transformer coupled or transformerless bodies, complete set of SD caps, a variety of LD options with more on the way, and tubes on the horizon make these very attractive in general IMHO. acidjack pointed out in a PM that in order to get that level of options, you have to go to Schoeps.

I'll do another card comp that's hopefully a bit more even, I'll also do the omni comp. I don't have a set of 63s, so I can't do the hyper comp. Is anybody willing to loan me a set of 63s for a week or two? I might even be willing to loan the mics and hypers to a respected TSer to get the comp done. Either way, PM me and we'll figure out how to make it happen.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline heehaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
where are this mics made?
Frontendaudio have a great deal on them not so long ago - 30%Off.
2 x mkh40 > mixpre-d > m10

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 10:59:51 AM »
where are this mics made?
Frontendaudio have a great deal on them not so long ago - 30%Off.

ADK is from Oregon, and the custom shop where they make the 3Zs is in Washington. That's another plus IMHO, I'll buy American over foreign every chance I get.

Definitely check both FrontEnd and Zen Pro, either way talk to someone in person to get the best deal. If you talk to Warren at Zen Pro, tell him Bryon sent you, that could help us both out!  :)
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 12:21:03 PM »
Thanks for the comp Bry! I always love when fellow TS'ers put these together.
I figured on clarity and detail alone that my choice of #2 would yield the 460/ck61 set-up.
The bass clarity and fullness was the single-most noticeable characteristic of what I love in a tape.
Thanks again my brother!
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 02:03:36 PM »
Thanks for the comp Bry! I always love when fellow TS'ers put these together.
I figured on clarity and detail alone that my choice of #2 would yield the 460/ck61 set-up.
The bass clarity and fullness was the single-most noticeable characteristic of what I love in a tape.
Thanks again my brother!

Thanks Todd! It's been fun so far, but then it's always fun to play with new toys. Looks like I'm taping some bluegrass tonight in a crappy sounding room (Cat's Cradle). Can't decide if I'm going to try out the hypers solo or try the card comp again.  ???  Probably have the best chance to get a decent pull with the hypers.

Here's a link to the complete 3Z recording on LMA:

http://archive.org/details/bs2012-05-05.bryonsos
GAKables
Dead Muppets

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Wow these are really nice sounding mics....  hhmmmmm....   man the wife is gonna be pissed...
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 01:44:45 AM »
3Zs in the field.
GAKables
Dead Muppets

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com