Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: options for 2 or 4 track recorder with XLR line ins?  (Read 14907 times)

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: options for 2 or 4 track recorder with XLR line ins?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 01:28:20 PM »
Quote from: NewTaper on Yesterday at 08:42:36 AM

"I am interested in the Zoom H4N & the Tascam DR-2d as I want to record two stereo line in with a 1/8" plug into the unit.
 Will I be able to monitor & adjust each source on these units?"

The DR-2d would seem the best option for you then;  monitering and adjusting levels is covered pretty well in the DR-2d threads.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 01:48:41 PM »
Here's a list of recorders with at least 2 XLR mic inputs, sorted by relative size (smallest first)

big, but still can hold in one hand
Zoom H4N
Tascam DR-100 Mk II

probably too big to hand hold 
Roland R-26   

The R-26 is not very much larger than the DR-100MKII or the H4N.

And, IMO it's a higher quality recorder in nearly all aspects.

edit:
DR-100MKII - 3.2 x 6. x 1.4" (80 x 153 x 35mm)
H4N            - 2.75 x 6.1 x 1.4" (70 x 156 x 35mm)
R-26            - 3.25 x 7.1 x 1.6" (82 x 180 x 41mm)

True. Plus I think it is the only handheld that will allow you to change levels for both an XLR and 1/8" stereo plug without changing menus or pausing the record button.

Offline NewTaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 09:08:06 PM »
from the Spec Sheet of the R-26

External Mic Inputs There are 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48V phantom power for external mics, and a 3.5mm mic input for small stereo mics with plug-in power.
Now forgive me as I never dealt with XLR inputs but is there another 3.5 input or is there an adapter for the XLR inputs?

THANK YOU for all the inforamtion too.

NT

Here's a list of recorders with at least 2 XLR mic inputs, sorted by relative size (smallest first)

big, but still can hold in one hand
Zoom H4N
Tascam DR-100 Mk II

probably too big to hand hold 
Roland R-26   

The R-26 is not very much larger than the DR-100MKII or the H4N.

And, IMO it's a higher quality recorder in nearly all aspects.

edit:
DR-100MKII - 3.2 x 6. x 1.4" (80 x 153 x 35mm)
H4N            - 2.75 x 6.1 x 1.4" (70 x 156 x 35mm)
R-26            - 3.25 x 7.1 x 1.6" (82 x 180 x 41mm)

True. Plus I think it is the only handheld that will allow you to change levels for both an XLR and 1/8" stereo plug without changing menus or pausing the record button.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 09:11:54 PM by NewTaper »

Offline John Willett

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »
The new Olympus LS-100 is very nics and has XLRs.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 07:39:43 AM »
from the Spec Sheet of the R-26

External Mic Inputs There are 2 XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48V phantom power for external mics, and a 3.5mm mic input for small stereo mics with plug-in power.
Now forgive me as I never dealt with XLR inputs but is there another 3.5 input or is there an adapter for the XLR inputs?

THANK YOU for all the inforamtion too.

NT

There are 2 x XLR inputs and 1 x 3.5mm input, separate.

colinw

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2012, 08:35:41 AM »
For these recorders than offer 48 phantom power to power mics, are they a good enough replacement something like the Naiant Tinybox or other preamps? I am new to using premaps and moving toward taping with mics that need phantom power, and I thought only a preamp could provide that. Can the Roland or Olympus (or other recorders) provide the same functions of powering the mics and allowing gain adjustments as a preamp does? Am I better off with an external preamp due to higher quality than what the recorders offer?

Is the battery power enough to power the recorder and external mics for a number of hours?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
For these recorders than offer 48 phantom power to power mics, are they a good enough replacement something like the Naiant Tinybox or other preamps? I am new to using premaps and moving toward taping with mics that need phantom power, and I thought only a preamp could provide that. Can the Roland or Olympus (or other recorders) provide the same functions of powering the mics and allowing gain adjustments as a preamp does? Am I better off with an external preamp due to higher quality than what the recorders offer?

Is the battery power enough to power the recorder and external mics for a number of hours?

Sorry for the newbie questions!

To answer the easy, objective questions, yes, these decks with XLR inputs that say they provide 48V phantom power are replacing the need for an external preamp, because the deck it serving that function.  You can still adjust levels and all that as you would  with an external preamp (though not always L/R balance, but with today's post-processing equipment, that's not critical.

To answer the other questions, "it depends".

Battery life: All the decks are different, and the current draw of various mics is different. I can tell you that my DR-40 seems to be able to provide 3-5hrs with phantom power on using different types of mics.  You can also buy external batteries for it or any of the other units. Tascam happens to make their own AA battery sled, which is probably useful.

Are you  "better off" with an all-in-one?

- In terms of convenience, of course you are.  It's one box instead of two, therefore one less failure point, one less thing to connect, one less thing to carry.  That said, the tinybox is very small, and it plus an M10 is not much bigger than most of these all-in-ones.

- In terms of flexibility, no.  Obviously if you have a separate recorder and preamp, you can interchange the two as you need.  With the all-in-one, you're stuck with just that.  Of course, you could always run an external pre with an all-in-one, but that kind of renders the point of having it moot.

- In terms of sound, the internal pres in these consumer-grade recorders are a lot better than they used to be (better than, for example, the stuff in the original Edirol R-1 by lightyears). Of course, they vary by unit, and they probably vary with how their pres "like" different types of mics.  It also matters what you record. If you are recording chamber music or orchestras or something with tons of dynamics and detail, then I'd be willing to bet the all-in-one isn't ideal - though admittedly, I have never A/B'd an all-in-one at this level vs. a tinybox. If you record metal shows or the PA systems of loud rock concerts, I'm not sure it makes that much of a difference.  And as I said, it matters what mics you run.  Some mics seem to pair well with lots of pres; some do not.  For example, I found that the Microtech-Gefell mics I briefly owned just sounded absolutely awful with Naiant's pre.  Those mics seem to really need a super-warm preamp to get the most out of them.  Other mics seem more forgiving - I think AKG's mics seem to sound pretty good  with a wide variety of things. 

If you want 4 tracks and are willing to run an external pre, the DR-2D would seem like a good bet, since you can run a tinybox with it and take board feeds on the other two channels. 

If you don't really care about 4 tracks but are willing to run an external pre, in the price range I think you are looking for, it's hard to beat tinybox>PCM-M10 or Edirol R-5.  The M10 and R-05 are both higher quality than the stuff Tascam makes, as well as easier to use. 

If you want a 4 track and don't want to buy external pres, I think it gets hard for you unless you go way up in price.  The Edirol R-26 has "6 tracks" but 4 of them are internal mics.  I think generally the 4-track options with stuff like the  Zoom H4N and others presuppose you run a board feed into the XLRs plus the deck's internal mics.  If placed properly, and in an ideal situation, those mics can be "OK" but not many folks here would recommend using them unless you have to.

Beyond that, the next cheapest multitrack that has its own internal pres is the Tascam DR-680. I trash that thing in every thread about decks, so I won't go back into it here. If you think that's an option for you, read up on it.  It definitely gives you the most tracks for the least money. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 01:26:14 PM »
"The Edirol R-26 has "6 tracks" but 4 of them are internal mics."

Nope. Tascam R-26 has six channels:  two from built in mics, two from XLR, and two from 3.5mm jack on the side.  Recorded as three stereo pairs.  See pp 31-32 of the manual.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:38:13 PM by flintstone »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

Nope. Tascam R-26 has six channels:  two from built in mics, two from XLR, and two from 3.5mm jack on the side.  Recorded as three stereo pairs.  See pp 31-32 of the manual.

There is no such thing as the Tascam R-26.  (Or the Edirol - I meant Roland R-26).  Do you own one?  Because this is what the web page says:

Hand-held field recorders have been hot commodities for musicians, recording engineers, and sound designers for years. Today, the mercury rises in this dynamic market with the debut of the game-changing R-26. This innovative recorder is portable yet loaded with first-class, professional features, the likes of which the industry has not seen before. There are two types of stereo microphones built into the R-26, plus a pair of XLR/TRS combo inputs for external mics, and an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic. Choose simultaneous combinations of the built-in mics (directional and omnidirectional), as well as the external inputs. Capture live performances with simultaneous line and ambient signal paths, record important speeches, lectures, and presentations, or take the R-26 into the inner city or deep forest for pristine field capture. The sky’s the limit with this powerful, portable, and incredibly flexible recorder.

and

- Two types of built-in stereo microphones (omnidirectional and directional) that can be used in various combinations
- Two XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48 V phantom power, plus an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic

That does not make it clear to me that it can record both the XLR and the stereo mic input simultaneously. Maybe it can, but I don't think that the "simultaneous combinations of the external mics, as well as the external inputs" clarifies that.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline NewTaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 05:18:27 PM »

Looking at he images here I do not see two 3.5mm jacks on the side?
http://www.solidstatesound.co.uk/roland_r-26.htm

NT

Offline dallman

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 05:51:52 PM »
The 3.5mm input is a stereo input. Two Mics are wired to a single stereo 3.5mm jack and plugged into the 3.5mm stereo female jack. XLR jacks support a single mic for each jack.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!
Deck>possibly something here> Mics

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 05:57:49 PM »

- Two types of built-in stereo microphones (omnidirectional and directional) that can be used in various combinations
- Two XLR/TRS combo inputs with 48 V phantom power, plus an input for a stereo plug-in powered mic

That does not make it clear to me that it can record both the XLR and the stereo mic input simultaneously. Maybe it can, but I don't think that the "simultaneous combinations of the external mics, as well as the external inputs" clarifies that.

Maybe Cliff can come back with a first hand account, but the one time I've seen an R-26 in the field, I gave Ashevillan a SBD feed from my recorder to his 1/8th input while he was using the XLR inputs for his mics.  Didn't hear how it turned out, but he didn't mention any problems at the show.  Because of that, I was under the impression that the R-26 can record both XLR and 1/8th inputs simultaneously. 

Offline sacchini

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Roland R-26
From manual, page 33:
REC MODE: 6 CHANNEL
Stereo x 3

Setting Description

XY+OMNI+INT
Selects the internal mics (a mix of the directional internal mics and the omnidirectional internal mics), only the directional mics, and only the omnidirectional mics.
XY+OMNI+ANALOG
Selects the input from the directional internal mics, the omnidirectional internal mics, the ANALOG IN 1/L jack, and ANALOG IN 2/R jack.
XY+ANALOG+P-IN
Selects the input from the internal directional mics, the ANALOG IN 1/L jack, the ANALOG IN 2/R jack, and the PLUG IN MIC jack.
ANALOG(S)+XY+OMNI
Selects the input from the ANALOG IN 1/L jack, ANALOG IN 2/R jack, directional internal mic, and omnidirectional internal mic. The input levels can be adjusted independently for the ANALOG IN 1/L jack and ANALOG IN 2/R jack.
ANALOG(S)+XY+P-IN
Selects the input from the ANALOG IN 1/L jack, ANALOG IN 2/R jack, directional internal mic, and PLUG IN MIC jack. The input levels can be adjusted independently for the ANALOG IN 1/L jack and ANALOG IN 2/R jack.
ANALOG IN = XLR Phantom Powered
P-IN = 1/8" (3.5mm) STEREO jack
XY = internal cardioids
OMNI = internal omnidirectional
INT = mix of internal cardioids and omnidirectional

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:58 PM »

Maybe Cliff can come back with a first hand account, but the one time I've seen an R-26 in the field, I gave Ashevillan a SBD feed from my recorder to his 1/8th input while he was using the XLR inputs for his mics.  Didn't hear how it turned out, but he didn't mention any problems at the show.  Because of that, I was under the impression that the R-26 can record both XLR and 1/8th inputs simultaneously.

It'd be good to know if someone can verify that.  Also, I assume that stereo "mic" input can be turned to a line input with no power going through it?  If that were the case, I'd consider buying one for certain situations.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2012, 04:12:17 AM »
On the R-26, you can record up to 6 channels at a time, made up of any combination from the following:

-XLR L/R channels (2 channels)
-3.5mm stereo plug, 1 input, (2 channels)
-built in card mics (2)
-built in omni mics (2)

I have used the 4 channel with XLR's and 3.5mm stereo plug and it works very well.

Levels on all channels can be adjusted on the fly without changing  menus (for 4 channels).

I have never used the internals or a 6 channel set up.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:15:43 AM by yates7592 »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com